Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
What do you recommend?

underthestars

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 12:24 pm
We don't usually give chanukah gifts anymore, as too many grandkids who live in many different places, bh. BUT, this year a majority of kids will be getting together for a night of chanukah. There will be a lot of grandchildren, from ages 1 month to 10 years. We cannot afford to give a gift to each child, as it is too costly for us, so we thought about giving gifts to family's instead. Do you think this is an ok idea? If so, what would you recommend as gifts? Family #1 has kids from 1-10 yrs old (mostly boys), famiy #2 has kids from 2-7, family #3 has kids from 1-7, and family #4 has kids 1-2. IF you don't think this is a good idea, what would you suggest? It's been a while since we have done the "chanukah thing" with kids and grandchildren.

I'd appreciate any help/advice, as I don't have much time to work on this.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 12:25 pm
How about a game that's good for multiple players and multiple ages? Like Twister.
Happy Chanukah!

lfab

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 1:31 pm
I actually think it's a great idea to buy a family present. I wish my MIL would do that. With k"h lots of grandchildren she can't afford to spend more than $5-$10 per child. But it's hard to find something worthwhile in that range, especially as kids get older. I've asked her to just do 1 thing for the whole family instead but she refuses, she wants to hand each child an individual gift. For $30 we could get a nice game for the family. For $5 each child gets a silly chatchke that breaks in minutes.

You can do a board game for each family. You may not be able to find one that is good for all ages in a family. In that case I'd recommend getting for the bolder kids and the younger ones can team up or will grow into it. Another option is to do a grab bag. Go to amazing saving/dollar store and buy a bunch of small items for $1-$3 each. Wrap them up and each child gets to pick 1 item. The fun of selecting a "surprise" present is enough for most of those ages that the won't care that it's just a small item.

Last edited by lfab on Mon, Nov 29 2021, 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

lfab

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 1:35 pm
Delete, double post

Last edited by lfab on Mon, Nov 29 2021, 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

cransky

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 1:36 pm
You can give a gift card to the judiaca store and have them pick out a book that the whole family will enjoy

amother
Hosta

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 1:42 pm
I don't know the pricing, but can you get each family a membership to the local zoo? That's a great present for young families.

And maybe get a board game.or puzzle for everyone to enjoy at your house.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 1:44 pm
My grandparents give each child $5-20 depending on age. I think it’s a great solution, if you really want to give something.

pgk

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 1:49 pm
Depends on your budget but one year I asked my mother if instead of buying little gifts for each kid (which eventually land in the garbage) could she please buy a naki radio fir the family. Most kids enjoying 2 years later

s1

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 3:00 pm
My mil gets a present for each family, she lets us choose (and buy if more convenient) and she gives them out. We usually chose a board game or a book the whole family can enjoy eg a Yiddishe Kop.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 3:05 pm
My in laws give a chanukah gelt budget per family around 100 and we get to choose different things for the kids...

yo'ma

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 11:36 am
My mother used to and now my father, gives 8 dollars. He asks how many nights of chanukah there are and then counts out 8 dollars. Bh, it’s a pretty penny every year! We’ve tried saying there are more than 8 nights, but it doesn’t work. Wink

DreamerForever

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 12:30 pm
A game for the family is always appreciated. My mother sometimes gives each granchild a 'pekel' with nosh and maybe a small prize. she usually writes each kid's name on the bag so it feels more personal. Maybe that would work for the littler kids if the age range is too broad for one game

newmommy22

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 12:32 pm
Not sure of your price range but my mother once gave my kids the Naki Radio for Chanukah and it was a great gift.

Dreamer

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 12:35 pm
I know a woman that gives each family a game for older kids and a toy for the younger ones. So each family comes home with 2 gifts (aside for the younger families that only have little kids and only get the toy).

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 12:46 pm
My mother gives me cash. I divide it amongst my kids. The older kids get the cash and l buy the younger kids a gift. So if there are 5 kids and she gives $100, each kid gets $20 cash or a gift within the $20 range etc.
She does this for all the grandchildren.

Last year, I saved it and put it towards our summer family trip and on the trip I let the kids know , this was a gift from Bobby for Chanuka and I took photos of us enjoying the attraction and sent them to her with a thank you .

amother
Cornsilk

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 1:04 pm
My parents gave us the naki radio a few years ago and my kids love it.(it depends how much you would like to spend though because it's not a cheap present. They spent $1,000 between all the families)
This year they said she's going to just give us $100 per person to do what we want with.. last year, they gave a family present for the kids and then another house adult present. (Just by the way, that did not work out well at all since they got Legos and lots of the kids had it already and were very very disappointed)
What we are doing is this year, we took all the kids and divided them up and give a price limit. Everyone needs to buy as many kids as they have presents. For example I have four children so I will be buying for other children presents, my sister has two children so should only be buying two presents. We told everybody to write a clue on the present and somebody will read them out loud and the kids will guess who got what.

My in-laws lately have been buying each kid a small present but they do give chanukah money for us to do something with the kids.

CatLady

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 1:33 pm
First of all, what a good problem to have!Very Happy I love your description in your signature line of "a spectacular family". It warms my heart, and I'm sure whatever you give will be very much appreciated.

I would do a personalized gift bag for each kid - goodies including chocolate Chanukah gelt and cash. Older kids might appreciate a gift card, but with the littlest ones, the parents can decide what to do with the cash.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics