Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Feeding/swallowing therapy?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 9:02 am
My 7mo has a hard time swallowing properly. I was mostly nursing her till about 6 months, but even then any bottle I gave her she would cough and splutter her way through. She had much less of an issue with nursing. Though occasionally she would cough or splutter the milk out as well.
Now that I'm giving her solids its much more noticeable and im.not sure what to do. Any liquid food like purees she is coughing the entire time, its going everywhere. Solider food (thick oatmeal, mushed roasted veggies or proteins) she is fine with and eats nicely.
She'll eat lots and is gaining weight nicely; what do I do?
I'm in lakewood nj if anyone can reccomend a feeding therapist

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 9:55 am
Start with your pediatrician who will probably recommend a swallow study. She may not be ready for food yet. Bottles in theory should be slower than breastfeeding if you get the right one, there are many bottles with slow or ultra slow flow.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 11:46 am
Shalva Sauer does feeding. It definitely sounds like there is a concern and you probably need a swallow study but I'm not a speech therapist. Another thing that comes to mind is if there are any signs of reflux and possibly benefitting from seeing an ENT.
I would also stay away from foods that make her cough and sputter until you get a professional assessment due to the risk of aspiration and pneumonia.
Hatzlocha!

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 11:49 am
I agree with above posts.

Talk to your pediatrician. They might refer you to an ENT or straight to get a swallow study done.

I just did this for my baby too.

amother
Apple

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 11:53 am
My child asparated because of a a cleft in his throat, which we surgically corrected earlier this year. He still needs swallow therapy because he became used to not swallowing correctly (btw coughing is also a sign of asparating). None the less, I wish I would have done swallow therapy even before fixing the cleft (it was not an option for other reasons) because every little bit would have helped. He had constant pneumonias and has a lot of scarring in his lungs and swelling in his airways. Even if it would have helped just 10%, I should have done it. BH he is young and his scarring will mostly disappear/heal because of his age, but from one mother to another, I say give your child the therapy. Have a swallow study done and find a great doctor. And for the record, some of my children did not walk until 2ish and I did not get any therapy for that (which my pediatrician did not recommend because babies walk later in my entire family, but I mean to say that I don't run to therapy).

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 3:44 pm
I would have an informed dr evaluate for hidden tongue and lip ties, and do a complete eval with a myofunctional trained SLP. They are trained to get to the root of the issue and can refer you out to ent, dentist, etc as needed
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics