Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Kitchen smal space between sides?

bisbettertheni

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 4:56 pm
Hi I am in the process of designing kitchen (in Israel around 14 by 9 feet). The designer sent plans with just an L leaving the whole (long) walll on the right empty. She said if we add counters along the wall it wil make the kitchen feel squishy. I figure out it’s around 4 feet of space in between the length of the kitchen if I add the counters (think two feet of counters on each side) I though having a U shaped counterspace would maximize counter and storage space but will I not be able to work in my kitchen freely. I have been in really tiny kitchens here (coupes feet between the counter) and it’s still functional
Another option would be to just put a shallower, but wide, floor to ceiling pantry on that wall so I still get my storage space

Any cons about have a small space between all the counters?

amother
NeonGreen

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 5:39 pm
My parents had a fold down counter on one wall. That way they had the surface space if needed but they could fold it down when they needed the space.

I would probably not want to give up on the counter space entirely.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 6:22 pm
Unless you're also trying to squeeze a table into the space — are you? — you have plenty of room for a counter and cabinets.

grace413

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 6:29 pm
I have a similar size and shape kitchen and have counters/cabinets on both sides. It's not dancing in a ballroom but it's perfectly functional.

Amarante

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 7:17 pm
There are loads of functional galley kitchens which have cabinets and counters on either side with a relatively narrow aisle. I have lived with them and you just adjust to people not being able to walk through if the oven door is open or the dishwasher door is down.

I would suggest a French door refrigerator though because a single door refrigerator might not have clearance. The French door is a better configuration because it gives you the ability to store items the width of the refrigerator versus a Side X Side which limits you what can fit in the relatively narrow confines of each side.

You might want to do a mock up by putting down tape and seeing what it feels like. You can even put down some cartons to give you more of a sense of what it would be like to move around in the space.

You could also not have lower cabinets and just have upper cabinets and a counter on one side. Keep in mind that corner cabinets may not be that functional although you can optimize the lower ones with a Super Susan

torquoise

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 7:29 pm
When we lived in NY I had a galley kitchen that for sure did not have more than 4 feet between counters. The only time it was a problem was when we had guests and they tried coming into the kitchen to help, it got really squishy, but not unmanageable. You will totally be fine.
Also make sure when configuring your appliances that there's room for the doors to open.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 3:59 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Unless you're also trying to squeeze a table into the space — are you? — you have plenty of room for a counter and cabinets.

not trying to squeeze in a table in between

but I do want some eating space so if we put the counters in it would only be able to come to half the ktichen, as we want to put a table against that wall also is that worth it?

other option is to have a peninsula/bar on the fourth "wall" (entry way to the kitchen) then we won't have to worry about eating space, but the fridge will be in the corner, and we can't make a counter next to the fridge (maybe a cabinet on that wall or something) unless Rubber Ducky, do you think we can pull the counter out and put the fridge on that right wall? (image below would be with the island)

we are in israel and used to small spaces but I want to have a functional kitchen

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 10:15 am
Let me give you another approach. Keep the peninsula (I made it deeper) don't turn the corner on the top wall, and add a counter run on the right wall.

Here are screen shots of what I am thinking...

Plan View:

Shown without counters:

More pics in my next post.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 10:23 am
Iso views. I made your pantry narrower (that is a pantry, correct?)

The peninsula is deeper (39"). Chairs extend into the hallway like in your drawing. The entry to the kitchen is about 38" wide alongside the peninsula and about 36" wide at the choke point between the peninsula and the right wall counter run.

Nice long counter run on the other side:

I hope this is helpful to you. Upper cabinets are not in these drawings because of time constraints. Yes, I am a professional kitchen and residential designer and need to get back to my paid work now.

bisbettertheni

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 4:53 pm
Wow I really appreacite it. I can’t believe you took the time to create drawings for me. We were going to have a built in oven (maybe where you thought the pantry is) as in Israel that’s what most people do for space reasons. (At least that’s what I see in most remodeled kitchens)
I am going to look into this option of having counter on o both sides but not on top.

Rubies

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 7:57 pm
[quote="Rubber Ducky"]Iso views.

/quote]

Love your idea! So nice to see brilliant ideas in design.
Would never have thought of this.

liveandlove.ima

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 8:10 pm
recently saw someone create a wall unit of pantry, not deep so it doesn't take away a lot space. loved the idea just wanted to share.

frummiebackhome

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 8:28 pm
My friend, I have what I call a corridor kitchen. Now I see you say gallery kitchen in English. It's beautifully and newly designed. I have counters and storage space on both walls, but the Side opposing my sinks have cabinets with less depth (you can do that). I just checked and I have less than 4 feet. It's 110cm between counters. It doesn't feel cramped at all.
I second Amarante about the french doors. It's beautiful
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics