Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Games
Name something you learned in school.....
Previous  1  2  3

dankbar

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 12:07 am
History is nice to know but why did we need to memorize all the Japanese dynasties from sheishis Yemei breishis.

We had a typing room with typewriters but since I didn't attend 12th grade, where computers were taught, I never learned computers. Had to learn on my job. 12th grade was still an optional grade to attend then.

DrMom

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 1:17 am
KeeGay wrote:
Reminds of the Renaissance during the sixteenth century. I learned it in 8th grade.
Definitely a waste of time. I could've learned more important things in that time.
I don't bemoan learning Trigonometry and Calculus since these exercise the brain. It was a challenge which I even enjoyed.
But filling up the brain with useless info. Whatever for?!

I think there is no such thing as wasted knowledge. Maybe some things you were taught have not been of direct utility so far, but who knows what the future holds?

Granted, some little pointwise bits of trivia are probably never going to be of direct use.

But learning about the Renaissance = a waste of time -- really? Learning about a major movement in Western history -- that lasted hundreds of years and revolutionized art, architecture, science, philosophy, literature, warfare, and the discovery and settlement of the Western hemisphere, and that still has an impact on our lives today -- is a waste of time? Surprised

elaela

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 2:00 am
log and itegrals

battle of hastings

treaty of lausanne/trianon/versaille...

macbeth/hamlet/richardIII/much ado about nothing/king lear/as you like it... OUR ENGLISHTEACHER WAS APPARENTLY VERY INTO SHAKESPEARE

Lovable

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 8:30 am
DrMom wrote:
I think there is no such thing as wasted knowledge. Maybe some things you were taught have not been of direct utility so far, but who knows what the future holds?

Granted, some little pointwise bits of trivia are probably never going to be of direct use.

But learning about the Renaissance = a waste of time -- really? Learning about a major movement in Western history -- that lasted hundreds of years and revolutionized art, architecture, science, philosophy, literature, warfare, and the discovery and settlement of the Western hemisphere, and that still has an impact on our lives today -- is a waste of time? Surprised

Yeah, can you imagine?
that is her opinion
(and mine as well lol)

GLUE

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 10:24 am
I found that the math I learned in school comes in handy to help my kids to homework, At one point I was doing Algebra math for fun-I liked the mental challenge.

I found it funny that my elementary school science was good enough to help my sister study for her collage tests. Collage ed. has really dumb ed down I had not used some of these turns for at least 20 years and new it better then my sister who just learned it.

When I was in school we spend a good chunk of time learning how to read street maps, the school felt it was very important that we can find our way around were ever we were.

pknt

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 12:21 pm
DrMom wrote:

yes
Just like I don't feel that I'm missing out that we didn't learn about piano evolution and the history of keyboard instruments..

I wish there was a stronger emphasis on writing.. Would've come in handy.

Tof Umachol

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 12:49 pm
How to kasher a chicken

youngishbear

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 1:02 pm
"A gentleman need not speak Latin, but he should at least have forgotten it."

Knowledge is power. Knowledge is good. I regret nothing.

I have never used the quadratic equation in real life, nor double-entry bookkeeping as someone already mentioned.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics