Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
What happens when a cop points a radar at you

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 6:05 pm
I wasn't watching the speedometer but I was driving fast, it was likely over 10 mph above the speed limit. A cop was straight out pointing his radar at me. How does this work? Do they send tickets in the mail? Or only if I would have gotten pulled over? And how would the radar know which car I am if he couldn't see my license plate? I'm in NJ if it makes a difference

amother
Canary

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 6:11 pm
Only get ticket if he pulls you over. He is checking your speed. They don’t usually care about 10 over.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 12:09 am
Really? What if I was going, say 20 over. How would he start driving so fast to catch me and pull me over?

amother
Garnet

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 12:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Really? What if I was going, say 20 over. How would he start driving so fast to catch me and pull me over?

He would turn his lights on and follow you going very fast. It's not hard to go 25/30 over. Once he's behind you usually you'd slow down and he'd end up closer. Then you both pull to the side.

I'm impressed that you've never been pulled over!

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 12:54 am
I’ve seen that they have another cop in his car a few hundred feet ahead and the coo shooting radar radios his friend to pull you over. That what happened to me once…

amother
Peony

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 12:57 am
We were pulled over on a highway in Pennsylvania, About 10 miles above speed limit with a hefty ticket.

I think up to ten is reasonable and in other locales, they'll ignore it

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 2:44 pm
amother [ Garnet ] wrote:
He would turn his lights on and follow you going very fast. It's not hard to go 25/30 over. Once he's behind you usually you'd slow down and he'd end up closer. Then you both pull to the side.

I'm impressed that you've never been pulled over!

I wasn't in the right lane, there's no way for him to drop the radar and start driving so fast and cross over the lanes etc.. Just trying to comprehend how that would work lol. Unless like another said if they have another cop ahead to radio.. I don't know why I care how this works lol, I think I'm nervous

amother
PlumPink

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 2:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I wasn't watching the speedometer but I was driving fast, it was likely over 10 mph above the speed limit. A cop was straight out pointing his radar at me. How does this work? Do they send tickets in the mail? Or only if I would have gotten pulled over? And how would the radar know which car I am if he couldn't see my license plate? I'm in NJ if it makes a difference

He will see which car just triggered that response on the radar machine---say, the Grey Odyssey driving behind the red camry--and chase the radar'd car or send someone else to, whomever pulls the car over will be seeing the plates and probably start running them as he's doing that or pulling the person over.

whatever warning or citation gets issued will be in person while pulled over.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 2:55 pm
amother [ PlumPink ] wrote:
He will see which car just triggered that response on the radar machine---say, the Grey Odyssey driving behind the red camry--and chase the radar'd car or send someone else to, whomever pulls the car over will be seeing the plates and probably start running them as he's doing that or pulling the person over.

whatever warning or citation gets issued will be in person while pulled over.

Ahh haha I'm laughing at myself that I'm so nervous. Thank you ladies:)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries