Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
What type of air conditioner/heater should I get for rental

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 2:18 pm
It’s two bedroom. The cheapest is a window heater/ air conditioner. The problem with the windows air conditioner is that it’s noisy. . And the expensive option is central. The apartment is in a very good location but not upgraded at all. Right now there is old air conditioner in the windows and heaters that don’t work on the floor.

GLUE

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 2:29 pm
If you are renting just get window air conditioner's look for quiet ones

you can get box or other stand alone heaters, if you have kids look for child safe ones

Don't bother putting in central

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 2:54 pm
GLUE wrote:
If you are renting just get window air conditioner's look for quiet ones

you can get box or other stand alone heaters, if you have kids look for child safe ones

Don't bother putting in central

Dh thinks that the window ones are very noisy and not livable and the main thing fir a tenant is A/C and heaters. We live in the west coast.

Amarante

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 3:10 pm
What is the rental market in your neighborhood.

FWIW, there are many apartments in Los Angeles which have wall air conditioners and not central air conditioning. Typically they are not in the window but in the wall because they are less intrusive.

Typically they are in older homes and apartments because they were built before central air was standard and the climate in LA at one time cooled down significantly at night so a standard configuration would be a wall unit in the living room and none in the bedrooms. For whatever reason LA has become hotter at night in the last 60 or 70 years.

Not all non central air conditioners are noisy.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 3:13 pm
Amarante wrote:
What is the rental market in your neighborhood.

FWIW, there are many apartments in Los Angeles which have wall air conditioners and not central air conditioning. Typically they are not in the window but in the wall because they are less intrusive.

Typically they are in older homes and apartments because they were built before central air was standard and the climate in LA at one time cooled down significantly at night so a standard configuration would be a wall unit in the living room and none in the bedrooms. For whatever reason LA has become hotter at night in the last 60 or 70 years.

Not all non central air conditioners are noisy.

I know mini split are pretty popular in guest house. Mini splits are wall units. I’m not aware of other wall air conditioner. Mini splits are not cheap.

Amarante

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 3:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know mini split are pretty popular in guest house. Mini splits are wall units. I’m not aware of other wall air conditioner. Mini splits are not cheap.

I am not an expert HVAC person but my personal experience was growing up in a home that didn't have central air and my father had standard air conditioning units installed in the wall under a window so that they were somewhat disguised.

He also had that done when he moved to California and there were no A/C units in the bedrooms but only one in the wall of the living/dining area of their retirement condo.

Again it really depends on what the other rental units in the neighborhood are like in terms of your competition but it is not uncommon for older units in Los Angeles to have wall A/C and not central or mini splits. Depending on the neighborhood the units are considered very desirable and rent for a relatively high amount of money.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 4:26 pm
Thanks. I searched wall and window units. They are all noisy. I think I’m the past generation they were ok with the noise. Idk if now people will agree to live with the constant noise.

Amarante

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 4:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks. I searched wall and window units. They are all noisy. I think I’m the past generation they were ok with the noise. Idk if now people will agree to live with the constant noise.

Again it depends on the competition in your neighborhood.

But I can assure you that there are many rental units in Los Angeles which have wall units and which rent for high amounts because the locations are desirable.

You aren't going to compete with the newest units but that wouldn't be your competition anyway.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 5:01 pm
Mini splits is probably your best bet

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 5:03 pm
I have wall AC units and they're not that noisy at all. A wall unit is not the same as split units. It the same as a window AC but it's installed in the wall.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics