Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Finding hosts for Shabbos simcha

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 10:20 pm
This has been on my mind a lot because we have simchas coming up iyH.

I hate asking for favors. I also don’t have many friends in the neighborhood- and the friends I do have mostly do not have room for random guests.

What will I do when it comes time for ds’ bar
Mitzvah? Or a Shabbos Sheva brachos? I will want to have some family over, and will not have room to host my family snd dh family in my house. But the thought of asking strangers or distant acquaintances to host my relatives…. Ouch!!

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 10:57 pm
Some people offer to host when
They know you are having a Simcha

amother
Alyssum

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 11:01 pm
Many people in my neighborhood have basement guest rooms they give out for simchas to other people. I have a guest room I give out and I typically get texts or calls from people I don’t know asking if I can host for their upcoming simcha. As long as I’m not using it I have no problem to host. I very often have a friend of the Baal simcha call me on their behalf to book the room. I think you can ask other people in your neighborhood who have recently made simchas how they hosted their family. They may even have a list of people in your neighborhood who have guest rooms available!

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 1:06 am
Do you have room to host?
Can you say to the Rebbitzen/advertise that you are happy to host for others (and be) and to please send people looking for hosting your way. Then when the time comes advertise that you need hosting and hopefully either people you have hosted for or people who know that you do it for others will step up as either a hakarat hatov or a pay it forward community Hakarat Hatov?

I would not want to put anyone on the spot and of course it is not a tit-for-tat, but people are usually happy to help others that help as opposed to people who only ask for favors.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 7:20 am
amother [ DarkMagenta ] wrote:
Do you have room to host?
Can you say to the Rebbitzen/advertise that you are happy to host for others (and be) and to please send people looking for hosting your way. Then when the time comes advertise that you need hosting and hopefully either people you have hosted for or people who know that you do it for others will step up as either a hakarat hatov or a pay it forward community Hakarat Hatov?

I would not want to put anyone on the spot and of course it is not a tit-for-tat, but people are usually happy to help others that help as opposed to people who only ask for favors.

Right now I sort of do. For a few years I gladly hosted when my family was small. Now
I have more children bH and some are young and noisy and wake up really early Smile

I hope in a few years to turn out basement into a guest lodging, and I’d be happy to lend it out. But that’s if finances allow us to not have tenants… (and furnish the basement with beds linen etc). IyH!

amother
Jean

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 7:31 am
For years I hosted neighbors guests and then about 3 yrs my family took up all the bedrooms so o can’t host anymore (due to layout I can’t just move kids out of one room)

Now I’m making simchos. At first it was hard to ask. And I didn’t want to bec I can’t reciprocate. But when I called neighbors they were really so happy. Some even called me first once they got the invitation to let me know how much space they had.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette