Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Games
S/O school thread- att history nerds
  Previous  1  2  3 7  8  9 15  16  17  Next

shyner

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 6:40 am
some things that I posted earlier no one had the answer so I'll post the answers now

Tyburn - this could refer to two things, there was a river called the tyburn which fed into the thames it is now buried underground and has been incorporated into the sewage system. Tyburn was also one of the main hanging gallows of London.

William Wilberforce - was an abolitionist in England, campaigned successfully for the abolition of the slave trade in England in the late 1700s
Josiah Wedgewood - was a famous pottery maker in England he was also an abolitionist

Raisin

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 6:40 am
shyner wrote:
Eric Blair
Samuel Pepys
Pudding Lane
David Livingstone
The Winter palace

Pepys - A londoner who wrote a diary in the 17th century. One post describes how rowdy simchas torah celebrations are, when he visits a shul on that day.

Pudding Lane - the Great Fire of London started there in 1666.

Winter Palace - Czars palace.

ETA extract from Pepys diary

Thence home and after dinner my wife and I, by Mr. Rawlinson’s conduct, to the Jewish Synagogue: where the men and boys in their vayles, and the women behind a lattice out of sight; and some things stand up, which I believe is their Law, in a press to which all coming in do bow; and at the putting on their vayles do say something, to which others that hear him do cry Amen, and the party do kiss his vayle. Their service all in a singing way, and in Hebrew. And anon their Laws that they take out of the press are carried by several men, four or five several burthens in all, and they do relieve one another; and whether it is that every one desires to have the carrying of it, I cannot tell, thus they carried it round about the room while such a service is singing. And in the end they had a prayer for the King, which they pronounced his name in Portugall; but the prayer, like the rest, in Hebrew. But, Lord! to see the disorder, laughing, sporting, and no attention, but confusion in all their service, more like brutes than people knowing the true God, would make a man forswear ever seeing them more and indeed I never did see so much, or could have imagined there had been any religion in the whole world so absurdly performed as this.

Last edited by Raisin on Thu, Dec 02 2021, 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Raisin

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 6:44 am
The Great Hunger
The war of the Roses
The Trial of Tears
Catherine the Great
The Abdication Crisis

Reality

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 6:47 am
shyner wrote:
some things that I posted earlier no one had the answer so I'll post the answers now

Tyburn - this could refer to two things, there was a river called the tyburn which fed into the thames it is now buried underground and has been incorporated into the sewage system. Tyburn was also one of the main hanging gallows of London.

William Wilberforce - was an abolitionist in England, campaigned successfully for the abolition of the slave trade in England in the late 1700s
Josiah Wedgewood - was a famous pottery maker in England he was also an abolitionist

Thank you! As an American I have never heard of any of these people/places.

Reality

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 6:52 am
Raisin wrote:
The Great Hunger
The war of the Roses
The Trial of Tears
Catherine the Great
The Abdication Crisis

Some of these were done already ( war of the roses and trail of tears)

Is the Great Hunger another name for the Irish potato famine?
Catherine the Great - Czar of Russia. Very strong leader, consolidated Russian power over her vast lands.
The Abdication Crisis - the British King abdicated his throne to marry the American divorcee Wallis Simpson.

Chickensoupprof

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 7:22 am
I have a hard one Smile

Council of Trent
Charlemagne
Djengis Khan
Rembrant van Rijn
Antonie van Leeuwenhoek

shyner

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 7:35 am
Raisin wrote:
Pepys - A londoner who wrote a diary in the 17th century. One post describes how rowdy simchas torah celebrations are, when he visits a shul on that day.

Pudding Lane - the Great Fire of London started there in 1666.

Winter Palace - Czars palace.

ETA extract from Pepys diary

Thence home and after dinner my wife and I, by Mr. Rawlinson’s conduct, to the Jewish Synagogue: where the men and boys in their vayles, and the women behind a lattice out of sight; and some things stand up, which I believe is their Law, in a press to which all coming in do bow; and at the putting on their vayles do say something, to which others that hear him do cry Amen, and the party do kiss his vayle. Their service all in a singing way, and in Hebrew. And anon their Laws that they take out of the press are carried by several men, four or five several burthens in all, and they do relieve one another; and whether it is that every one desires to have the carrying of it, I cannot tell, thus they carried it round about the room while such a service is singing. And in the end they had a prayer for the King, which they pronounced his name in Portugall; but the prayer, like the rest, in Hebrew. But, Lord! to see the disorder, laughing, sporting, and no attention, but confusion in all their service, more like brutes than people knowing the true God, would make a man forswear ever seeing them more and indeed I never did see so much, or could have imagined there had been any religion in the whole world so absurdly performed as this.

Wow that’s fascinating, I did not know that

shyner

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 7:38 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:
I have a hard one Smile

Council of Trent
Charlemagne
Djengis Khan
Rembrant van Rijn
Antonie van Leeuwenhoek

Charlemagne was done earlier he was the first holy roman emperor

Djengis khan or Genghis Khan as I learnt it was the Mongolian emperor conquered most of the Far East
Rembrandt was a famous Dutch artist

imasinger

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 7:45 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:
I have a hard one Smile

Council of Trent
Charlemagne
Djengis Khan
Rembrant van Rijn
Antonie van Leeuwenhoek

Some of these are already up thread, I think.

Charlemagne - king of France who formed it into a power after it had been shattered following the Roman empire.

Ghengis Kahn - conqueror, leader of a Mongolian army who, with the help of their horses, conquered widely, and ultimately, in the next generation, created an empire.

Rembrandt -- one of my favorite artists. Dutch, 1700's, I believe.

Leeuwenhoek - scientist and doctor, father of microbiology.

Raisin

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 9:35 am
Reality wrote:
Some of these were done already ( war of the roses and trail of tears)

Is the Great Hunger another name for the Irish potato famine?
Catherine the Great - Czar of Russia. Very strong leader, consolidated Russian power over her vast lands.
The Abdication Crisis - the British King abdicated his throne to marry the American divorcee Wallis Simpson.

sorry I didn't read whole thread carefully!

Correct re famine.
Czarina not Czar right? She was actually german iirc.

New list - what is the Jewish connection?

St Hugh of Lincoln
Cliffords Tower
Mainz, Speyer and Worms
Henry the VIII
This is super obscure - the Tower of London.

SuperWify

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 10:20 am
Elizabeth De Burgh
“I’d rather die a thousand deaths..”
The shot heard around the world
The world turned upside down

shyner

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 10:26 am
Raisin wrote:

Correct re famine.

St Hugh of Lincoln
Cliffords Tower
Mainz, Speyer and Worms
Henry the VIII

Cliffords Tower in York, England was where the entire Jewish population of York was massacred al kiddush hashem
Mainz, speyer, worms the crusaders massacred these communities
Henry VIII was thinking of converting to judaism in order to divorce his wife catherine of aragon because the catholic church wouldn't allow him to divorce her, in the end he created the church of england which allowed divorce
I don't know if this what you were thinking of but the tower of london was mentioned by the chida in his writing about his travels to england

BetsyTacy

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 10:31 am
I know R' Yaakov of Orleans was killed when Richard came to power, so when I saw your clue about the tower of London that was what sprang to mind. The back of the artscroll chumash which has the mini bios of the Rabbonim had mentioned his death, but not specific to the tower of London.

Edited to add:This looks like a fun thread! I am sorry I didn't see this yesterday.

BetsyTacy

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 10:34 am
"The shot heard round the world" even has its own song!
...the start of a revolution... ie American Revolutionary War

Raisin

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 11:19 am
It seems there is actually a lot of Jewish connections with the tower of London. When I was there a plaque near traiters gate said it was built with money from Jewish taxes, so that is what I meant.

But lots more capart from that.

https://www.jpost.com/jerusale.....56561

Reality

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 11:24 am
Raisin wrote:

Correct re famine.

St Hugh of Lincoln
Cliffords Tower
Mainz, Speyer and Worms
Henry the VIII

Should have written Czarina, thanks! I don't think she spoke a word of Russian if I remember correctly.

Most of your other list was answered already and I don't know the others. But one thing stood out to me. All these places are the sites of horrible tragedies to the Jewish people. So much hatred against the Jewish people.

One year in high school I had a historia teacher who told us she likes to focus on the positive in Jewish history. That year we were supposed to learn about the Middle Ages. Needless to say she glossed over everything!! I was quite resentful at the time. I felt like she was babying us. And we lost out on learning a lot about our history.

Sorry if this doesn't belong on this thread!! I'll remove it if it bothers people.

youngishbear

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 11:28 am
SuperWify wrote:
Elizabeth De Burgh
“I’d rather die a thousand deaths..”
The shot heard around the world
The world turned upside down

The world turned upside down is a line from the Hamilton musical referring to the American victory at Yorktown - it's a reference to something one of the British actually said at the time, I think?

Reality

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 11:29 am
Nobody answered who Henrietta Szold is: She founded the organization Hadassah. Also started Youth Aliyah which saved many children from the holocaust but at the same time stripped away their religion. A very mixed bag.

youngishbear

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 11:29 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:
I have a hard one Smile

Council of Trent
Charlemagne
Djengis Khan
Rembrant van Rijn
Antonie van Leeuwenhoek

What was the council of Trent?

youngishbear

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 11:32 am
shyner wrote:
The troubles was a period in Northern Ireland when the IRA and other groups were fighting against British rule there was lots of conflict between catholics and Protestants this ended with the good Friday agreement

Thomas Cromwell was the son of Oliver Cromwell he took over the British parliament for a short time after the death of Oliver Cromwell before Charles II was brought back to power

The first answer is correct

Thomas Cromwell was an important advisor to Henry VIII and had a large role in the king's fight with the Catholic Church over his annulment/divorce. He eventually lost favor and was beheaded.
Page 8 of 17   Previous  1  2  3 7  8  9 15  16  17  Next Recent Topics