Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
7 year old still not toilet trained at night.
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 11:54 pm
My 7.5 year old is very mature and independent in almost every way. He has been toilet trained since 2.5.
Yet, he still wears a pull up at night and wakes up sopping every morning.
His younger brother (4 years old) is much more babyish by nature, yet he is determined to be toilet trained even at night and has been waking up dry most mornings. But my 7 year doesn't even seem to want to try.
Is this something to be concerned about?

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 11:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My 7.5 year old is very mature and independent in almost every way. He has been toilet trained since 2.5.
His younger brother (4 years old) is much more babyish by nature, yet he is determined to be toilet trained even at night and has been waking up dry most mornings. But my 7 year doesn't even seem to want to try.

You can definitely I rely speak to your pediatrician about it. You can try a sensor (didn’t work for my son)
My ped also told me to give him miralax, because it could be caused by constipation….that didn’t help either. There is also medication.
(For reference, my son is 9)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 12:00 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
You can definitely I rely speak to your pediatrician about it. You can try a sensor (didn’t work for my son)
My ped also told me to give him miralax, because it could be caused by constipation….that didn’t help either. There is also medication.
(For reference, my son is 9)

What is the connection with constipation?

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 12:05 am
You can try cranialsacral therapy. It helped my son
Who was a little older than that.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 12:05 am
No you should not be worried. It’s completely normal and has nothing to do with maturity . He’ll out grow it by age 12. If not, then you can start worrying. My kids outgrew at ages 10 and 8. My six year old is still in pull-ups so we’ll see when he stops. I am not in the least bit concerned.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 12:11 am
Very normal
It can be immature bowel. Can take until puberty to get it.

amother
Molasses

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 12:18 am
Can also be from breathing incorrectly during sleep which triggers a certain hormone to be produced which results in excessive urine dumping during sleep.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 12:19 am
You can discuss with your pediatrician but I would not be concerned. This is fairly common, especially in boys (and if it runs in your family). My girls were dry at night by age 3-4, but my boys took much longer--one til shortly before his 10th birthday. I had tried an alarm, taking them to the bathroom in their sleep, etc, but when they were ready, they just became dry at night without me doing anything. BH for Goodnites in large sizes!!

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 12:20 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What is the connection with constipation?

If they are constipated (not releasing bowels properly) it can block the bladder from releasing properly.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 12:25 am
My son grew out of it at 8. The pull-up was actually preventing him from being trained because he knew he had it as a crutch and he relied on it.

losingweight

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 12:48 am
All of you who are dealing with a child over five years old that still wets at night, please ask your doctor for DDAVP. It works magic. And from my experience, has no long term effects on the child. It's given easily. There's no reason a child should have shame from wetting. Or an odor. Please do it for the childs sake.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 1:18 am
What dosage was prescribed for DDAVP? My 10 year old son started at 0.1 mg dose. We are increasing it slowly, but 0.3mg is still not doing the trick.

salt

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 5:25 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It's most likely physiological. It's not something that will improve just by trying harder. Don't make him feel bad that's he's wet. It's very common, especially in boys.
I have a DS who was wet at night till a few months after his bar mitzva. Believe me, it wasn't for lack of trying.
Do you wake him before you got to sleep, to take him to the bathroom? You could try that.

Gneshe

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 6:15 am
salt wrote:

Do you wake him before you got to sleep, to take him to the bathroom? You could try that.

This works wonders for me as well. At midnight I walk him, still sleeping, to the bathroom. No diaper. He wakes up dry 95 percent of the time. I haven't done it in a while due to lots going on and he wakes up with his diaper sopping wet. Hope to get back at it soon.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 6:47 am
losingweight wrote:
All of you who are dealing with a child over five years old that still wets at night, please ask your doctor for DDAVP. It works magic. And from my experience, has no long term effects on the child. It's given easily. There's no reason a child should have shame from wetting. Or an odor. Please do it for the childs sake.

My child has zero shame and zero odor. Making a big deal of it would cause him shame.

thesoundofmusic

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 7:20 am
my kids all had accidents till 4th grade and then magically it all dissapeared and they were 100% dry.
but it was a long haul.....
and kind of gross sometimes.
sending you love- it too will pass.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 7:22 am
Vasopressin is the hormone triggered by the hypothalamus and produced by the pituitary (the autonomic nervous system) that is supposed to tell the kidneys at night to stop producing so much urine and hold it in. Bed wetting past a certain age is a sign of dysfunction along that axis. It can be caused by adrenal and cortisol issues (the adrenals send messages to the hypothalamus) blood sugar issues, nutritional deficiencies of nutrients that those brain structures need to do their jobs and make these hormones (more common than you think), inflammation to the hpa axis caused by infections, mold, allergies, leaky gut and so on. Mouth breathing at night and airway issues (tonsils, adenoids, tongue tie, high narrow palate, low oral muscle tone) doesn’t allow the body to enter REM and then the pituitary never gets the message to ramp up vasopressin production. Mainstream drs have no idea how to look for any of these things, but functional mds can.

gootlfriends

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 7:26 am
I don't remember when my daughter was dry at night. I think it was at 8. I didnt worry about it. Was not from constipation, she just didn't wake up to urinate. Now she does. She used to sleep more deeply because she was super tired. The fact that there are so many overnight underwear options for kids tells me its very common.

amother
Banana

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 7:38 am
After age 7/8 (so he's still young for this) you could try an alarm, but the child must be personally very motivated.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 7:48 am
gootlfriends wrote:
I don't remember when my daughter was dry at night. I think it was at 8. I didnt worry about it. Was not from constipation, she just didn't wake up to urinate. Now she does. She used to sleep more deeply because she was super tired. The fact that there are so many overnight underwear options for kids tells me its very common.
common does not equal normal.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics