Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
JRA/JIA what were your child’s symptoms (or yours) and how

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 9:22 pm
Was it diagnosed?

Please share.
Thanks

amother
Chestnut

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 9:53 pm
I know this isn’t what you asked but I always feel sad when young children are diagnosed with this because there’s always a root cause for autoimmune disorders, most often infectious, very often Lyme. Did you rule these out?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 10:12 pm
amother [ Chestnut ] wrote:
I know this isn’t what you asked but I always feel sad when young children are diagnosed with this because there’s always a root cause for autoimmune disorders, most often infectious, very often Lyme. Did you rule these out?

Still in the midst of our workup, but highly doubt Lyme will come back positive. Dc was on augmentin for 14 days, had a 2 week break and was on augmentin for additional 14 days.

amother
Zinnia

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 10:39 pm
I had jra around age 10ish (probably for 2-3 years- I can't remember exactly)
Terrible left ankle pain and swelling- I couldn't bear weight at certain points
I know I took tons of ibuprofen and I think I had cortisone injections at some point as well
Eventually it just went away- bH!

amother
Hydrangea

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 10:59 pm
My daughter is diagnosed with this at age 12. Hip and knee pain. She was on anti inflammatory meds and methotrexate for a few years. She was weaned off it and is now off meds and pain free. B”H.

amother
Chestnut

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 7:33 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Still in the midst of our workup, but highly doubt Lyme will come back positive. Dc was on augmentin for 14 days, had a 2 week break and was on augmentin for additional 14 days.
I don’t understand about the augmentin. Are you saying he was already treated for Lyme? 28 days over 6 weeks isn’t nearly enough for an infection that is causing symptoms of RA. I personally wouldn’t consider Lyme ruled out unless you run an IgEnex or galaxy and even then there are so many strains even the best tests don’t pick up. Well trained Lyme drs always diagnose by symptoms. Also, there are a whole slew of other infections that can cause RA. Food intolerances, celiac and non celiac gluten sensitivity can do this as well. The point is, there’s always a cause behind why the immune system decides to start attacking the body. There is a time and place for everything, but I feel it’s such a shame to suppress an entire immune system and stop looking for a cause.

amother
Opal

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 8:13 am
My dd was diagnosed at 18 months. A lot of finger swelling, feet buckling. She’s Ana positive plus she a very high sedimentation rate. She was originally on humira and mtx. Took her off humira after stopped working and switched to Orencia which works great so far. Also took her off mtx cuz side affects are too bad. She still has morning stiffness and occasional hip and knee pain which we manage with prescription Motrin.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics