Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
What's special for shabbos, chanukah, r"c

happy chick

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 8:21 am
Some people have a "minhag" to make 3 kugels when the calendar falls out like this year. I'm not really interested in making so many kugels, one is more than enough for my family. But it's a cute idea, what other food can we make 3 types? Something quick, cuz it's a short Friday.

amother
Mayflower

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 8:29 am
3 types of cookies. Make a basic cookie dough. Split into thirds. Put chocolate chips in 1/3, cocoa in 1/3, sprinkles on 1/3

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 8:30 am
Make smaller recipe and do kuglets
Or buy

dankbar

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 9:00 am
You can make something nice & extra for dessert.
Fruity turnovers, tarts, ice cream, pies, cannolis, cake.

dankbar

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 9:02 am
Instead of kugel you can make deli roll or apple strudel.

etky

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 9:29 am
I'm doing the kugel thing but I adopted a broad interpretation of 'kugel'.
I made a parve mushroom quiche, a zucchini casserole and a carrot loaf.

amother
Clear

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 9:39 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Make smaller recipe and do kuglets
Or buy

This. Use three smaller pans instead of one big one.
B"H I never heard of this minhag and don't plan to start now.

etky

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 9:48 am
amother [ Clear ] wrote:

You don't have to.
I first read about it here.
It wasn't my minhag but I liked the idea of marking shabbatot when we take out 3 sifrei Torah with special/extra food for the shabbat seudot.
As another poster said, any edible in triplicate will echo the idea behind the minhag.
But only if you're interested...

happy chick

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 9:55 am
amother [ Clear ] wrote:

Like etky said, it's not a real minhag which is why I wrote "minhag". You won't get struck by lightning if you don't do it. It's kinda the same "minhag" like baking chocolate cake for "chazak, chazak, v'nischazek, my mother baked a chocolate cake".

It's just a cute idea and it doesn't happen all that often, so when it does it's very special.

etky

Post Sat, Dec 04 2021, 12:31 pm
There is a weekly lecture on the works of S. Y. Agnon given at our shul after davening on Shabbat morning. The speaker always finds a link between parshat hashavua or other timely events of the Jewish calendar and one of Agnon's stories.
When the speaker will be away for shabbat, he sends out the Agnon story on the shul's email list so that people can read it for themselves.

So this week he was away and sent out one of the chapters from the novel הכנסת כלה which talks about Reb Yudel, an indigent chasid who was journeying around the country gathering funds to marry off his daughters.
One of the homes this chasid was invited to belonged to a very spiritual man who would eat very sparingly during the week but would feast on Shabbat. This particular shabbat in the story was Shabbat Rosh Chodesh Chanukah and the story describes the rich meal that was consumed at his home which included, among other delicacies, 3 different types of kugel in honor of Shabbat, Rosh Chodesh and Chanukah. Each kugel was different from the other in size and in appearance and in 'fattiness' .

The story takes place in Galicia during the first half of the 19th century. I don't know how accurate Agnon was about verifying the authenticity of the customs that he recorded in his works as far as time and location but it was so interesting to see it recorded and attested in literature.

Chickensoupprof

Post Sat, Dec 04 2021, 12:40 pm
Hah my mom came to shul she never comes now she came and ate a bit so that was special, gut voch
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics