Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Screen free school days
Previous  1  2

professor

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 6:50 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My kids are way too attached to their electronics and I really want to stop it. Please tell me what your kids do to entertain themselves a whole afternoon on school days.
My kids are home at 4
6 yr old goes to sleep at 8:30
10 yr old goes to sleep at 9:15
13 yr old goes to sleep at 11 (he is in shul from 8-9:15 learning/davening) but that's it

Our school offers no extracurricular activities
My 6yo goes to karate twice a week
It is nice weather now, but it's dark by 5:30

Even with friends and crafts and outdoor time and cooking, supper, showers, homework (not more than 10 minutes a night for anyone) I can't seem to keep them busy for what is between 4 and 6 hours each night

Can someone please post a "schedule" of what their kids do in the afternoon?

Oh wow! I have the same problem! I will tell you what I did once upon a time when I was supermom. (Nowadays, I just let them do screen)
1) I would literally prepare lessons for them on the piano where we took turns trying out the new skills. (Or Casio if you have that. Making music is so fun for the kids)
2) I would watch you tube videos on how to teach art while my kids were in school and then draw with them when they got home. (Look up cool stuff like easy but impressive 3d art for kids etc)
3)Board games
4)colorful tape art and other fun mediums for artistic expression and arts crafts
5) Lego and other building blocks
6) rubrics cube
7) "maze ball" I think it's called preplexus nowadays
When I remember more stuff I'll post

momof2+?

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 7:10 am
I didn’t understand “loves hashem’s” post to be judgey and condescending. I understood her to be making you aware that screen time is addicting- so when you stop you should expect the kids to act out and be upset. You will have to ride through it. It is the natural process. Don’t give in to it.

Just another perspective to that post. Most of us are guilty of giving our kids too much screen time at some point in their lives.

amother
Freesia

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 7:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Quote:
Electronics is an addiction. Literally. What if someone told you you couldn't use your phone at all for 6 hours after work?

They will act out and be pretty upset. It will take time for them to find ways to regulate without it.

Thank you. This was so helpful. NOT

I am acknowledging there's a problem in my home and looking for ideas to make the transition easier. In what way would this post help me on a practical level? I didn't ask for mussar

The posters above gave great ideas and some of them actually stated the exact same thing as you in a nice tone

Sorry for the tangent- PSA to everyone, please read over your posts before hitting post and think if your words will actually be helpful. I get lots of good ideas and advice on this site, but the attitudes of some posters here really grate on my nerves sometimes

I don't think she meant for her post to come across mean in any way.

think she was trying to explain what it would feel like to take away electronics from kids (its hard when they depend on it)

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 7:37 am
Another one chiming in that these ideas are all great and wonderful and that I didnt see the post about electronics being addictive as judgmental. It is an acknowledgment of the fact that this is a serious challenge and will be met with understandable resistance. And we all seem to know about it and struggle with it to some degree.

Thanks for bringing up the challenge and being a platform for these good ideas.

amother
Fern

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 7:40 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Quote:
Electronics is an addiction. Literally. What if someone told you you couldn't use your phone at all for 6 hours after work?

They will act out and be pretty upset. It will take time for them to find ways to regulate without it.

I am acknowledging there's a problem in my home and looking for ideas to make the transition easier. In what way would this post help me on a practical level? I didn't ask for mussar

The posters above gave great ideas and some of them actually stated the exact same thing as you in a nice tone

Sorry for the tangent- PSA to everyone, please read over your posts before hitting post and think if your words will actually be helpful. I get lots of good ideas and advice on this site, but the attitudes of some posters here really grate on my nerves sometimes
t

OP,
I think your post was extremely mean. She was trying to be helpful by explaining to you that since screen time is an addiction, your kids will not be happy right away with whatever activities you have planned and to not get disheartened. Why is this not helpful information? And even if you personally did not find it helpful because you were already aware, there is no need to humiliate someone who was trying to help you.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 8:07 am
Quote:
And we all seem to know about it and struggle with it to some degree.

Um, that was exactly why I found it unnecessary.
I know about it and struggle with it. That's why I'm asking for help.

If I asked for healthy snack ideas because my kids eat too much sugar and then someone has to chime in about how unhealthy sugar is - that's not helpful.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 8:29 am
bigsis144 wrote:
OP, my kids (9 &12) don’t have homework most nights and they’re on the computer from 4-8 because if they’re not I can’t do anything else.

They won’t read or play legos or… bake 😂
If I take them to the park (when it’s light) or the library, they complain that I’m “wasting their time”. As if they have an internal need for a minimum amount of time in front of a screen, and they will be deficient if their needs are not met.

If they were doing useful or learning things like coding or writing stories or math games, I’d be more okay with it, but it’s mostly watching OTHER PEOPLE play Minecraft on youtube. Why do they need this so badly???!!! Why doesn’t anything else I offer them meet this need???

Your kids must be the lost twins of mine, or something like that. Or is there a secret clone lab somewhere?
Totally like mine, start whining and even rioting if they don't get their minimum dose of screen time. See other activities as a waste of time and threat to the amount of screen time. Yes, these stupid videos of other people playing minecraft with a running stupid commentary!!! It seems to be highly addictive and cause withdrawal symptoms if not watched constantly.
If the computer is OFF by parental decision and force, they start playing something that vaguely reminds of the minecraft videos and wreck the house/garden/shed/car while doing it.
Any kind of productive or creative activity is viewed as forced labor by them. Any organized sport is impossible, they just run out or refuse to go in the first place.
Banging head

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 8:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Quote:

Sorry. I don't have kids with this issue and didn't feel I had advice to add.

I was just trying to point out that the fact your kids threw a fit and keey saying their bored and ask for electronics doesnt mean they are actually bored. They are used to this drug and want it back, and nothing will replace it.

I just wanted to point out that this is normal behavior and to push through. And if your kids claim they're bored after doing all these suggestions it's simply because they aren't used to self regulating and not having access to electronics.

It will be a hard transition which will take time but a shift is possible.

I think knowledge is power and I wasn't sure if you were aware of all this.

Maryann

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 9:37 am
honeymoon wrote:
My kids read tons. They go through tons of books and magazines in a week. They also do sudoku, word puzzles, trivia and geography games.

Your kids might enjoy learning to play an instrument. There are several programs available online or usb.

Would your kids be interested in developing a skill like woodworking, painting, crocheting, photography, food decorating etc.?
There are few things that make children feel as content as when they are kept entertained by something they are good at.

Can you pls share links for this

aussie2

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 5:46 pm
Here is link for online music lessons..
https://basslinepro.com/
(never used it. I have just seen it advertised a lot lately.)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics