Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How to cook salmon butter soft

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 4:31 pm
What’s the best cooking container and cooking method time for cooking sweet and sour salmon. My peices are usually. 3/4 “ thick and I usually cook it in a 9 by 13 pan and it’s always too tough:(
I cook the peices for 16 min approx. what’s the best tip to cook soft heavenly salmon?

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 4:32 pm
You need to buy good quality fish.

Are you talking about frozen or fresh? Fresh we do for less time than that I think.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 4:33 pm
Buy fresh caught salmon, and slightly undercook it. It will continue to cook itself for at least another 3 to 5 minutes after you take it off the heat.

If you buy frozen salmon, you will always have a texture problem. I think that freezing it is a crime against fish.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 4:48 pm
Forgot to add that the salmon is always fresh

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 4:50 pm
I find that 13 minutes (at 400) works very well. With a smaller piece I can sometimes get away with 12.

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 4:51 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Buy fresh caught salmon, and slightly undercook it. It will continue to cook itself for at least another 3 to 5 minutes after you take it off the heat.

If you buy frozen salmon, you will always have a texture problem. I think that freezing it is a crime against fish.

I don't know. Frozen works out well for me.

mha3484

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 4:51 pm
I slow roast the salmon and its buttery soft. https://food52.com/recipes/374.....-fish

SuperWify

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 4:54 pm
400’, 10 minutes per inch. Let it be bright pink on the inside still. light pink and it was overbooked.

Or pan fry on high for 2-3 minutes per side.

You can broil as well 5-6 minutes.

It’s funny because with any other protein, low and slow is the way for soft meat. Fish is the opposite.

agreer

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 5:56 pm
I cover mine in some sort of oil or mayo (thin layer) and then spices - the mayo seems to prevent the salmon from drying out. Then cover and bake in 400 degree oven for 10 min, uncover for 10 more minutes. Either in foil 9x13 or glass pyrex.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 6:04 pm
I think the OP is asking about cooking the salmon. She mentioned sweet and sour salmon which is usually cooked on the stove top in some kind of liquid.

amother
Foxglove

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 6:25 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

You need a new freezer.

Last edited by amother on Wed, Dec 15 2021, 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 6:30 pm
Season salmon. Set aside.
Boil well seasoned water for 20 minutes until you have a very tasty broth.
Add salmon. Bring to another boil. Simmer for 11 minutes (do not overcook; set a timer).
Remove from flame. Allow salmon to cool completely in pot.

thepickled

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 6:40 pm
Slow roast for 35-45 mins on 275 or on 300 for a bit shorter. The inside should be flaky and there shouldn’t be much albumen (the white oozy stuff). Can’t compare the texture to a higher heat roast.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 7:21 pm
thepickled wrote:
Slow roast for 35-45 mins on 275 or on 300 for a bit shorter. The inside should be flaky and there shouldn’t be much albumen (the white oozy stuff). Can’t compare the texture to a higher heat roast.

Slow and low. This works in a broth in the stove as well

amother
Diamond

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 7:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What’s the best cooking container and cooking method time for cooking sweet and sour salmon. My peices are usually. 3/4 “ thick and I usually cook it in a 9 by 13 pan and it’s always too tough:(
I cook the peices for 16 min approx. what’s the best tip to cook soft heavenly salmon?

Make sure it’s completely covered in the liquid and it will be soft

amother
Lightblue

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 7:20 pm
cooking salmon too long makes it hard?

slow and low? and also a short amount of time?

I always cook it on the stove for at least 20 min always not sure if its properly cooked. thought the longer the better?

amother
Gold

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 8:03 pm
amother [ Lightblue ] wrote:
cooking salmon too long makes it hard?

slow and low? and also a short amount of time?

I always cook it on the stove for at least 20 min always not sure if its properly cooked. thought the longer the better?

Fish is not the longer the better. Some meats work with the longer the better but fish never does. When it's done it's done. If you leave it too long it dries out.

amother
Tuberose

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 10:44 pm
What about in the Betty Crocker? How long does it take? Frozen
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen