Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Low grade fever every evening- normal?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 8:05 pm
I noticed my 3 year old feels warm every evening and temperature is in around 100.2 range. Is this normal for a kid this age? Sometimes it starts already like 3-4 pm

amother
Moonstone

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 8:54 pm
It can be a UTI. Or autoimmune. If it's more than 3 days, he needs to see a doctor.

naomi2

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 9:18 pm
Not normal

cuties' mom

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 6:37 am
It's not unusual. My doctor told me not to take my kids' temperature at night for that reason. I first noticed it when my oldest was in preschool and had an ear infection. He had to be fever free for 24 hours to go back to school, so every night I took his temperature, and he had a low grade fever. After missing a week of school, I took him to the doctor who said that body temperature rises at night, and some people always have a low grade fever at night. I should only take his temperature during the day.

play doe

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 8:03 am
One of mine had around 100 every evening as a preschooler, but usually just under 100, only occasionally over 100.
The doctor did blood work to r/o infection, celiac, and other things, all was fine.
Doc said it's probably normal for him, some kids are like that.
He was short and underweight and a picky eater, so I started supplementing with vitamins and took him to GI doctor whose only advice was to give miralax for his constipation.
BH he's in late teens now. Still a skinny picky eater and doesn't have that huge "teenager's appetite", but he does eat reasonably well, and at least he grew BH.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 8:12 am
play doe wrote:
One of mine had around 100 every evening as a preschooler, but usually just under 100, only occasionally over 100.
The doctor did blood work to r/o infection, celiac, and other things, all was fine.
Doc said it's probably normal for him, some kids are like that.
He was short and underweight and a picky eater, so I started supplementing with vitamins and took him to GI doctor whose only advice was to give miralax for his constipation.
BH he's in late teens now. Still a skinny picky eater and doesn't have that huge "teenager's appetite", but he does eat reasonably well, and at least he grew BH.
Sounds like it could be parasites. Reg drs workup can miss sooo many things.

OP I would want to get to the bottom of this, but I would keep in mind that a reg dr running a couple of bloods and saying everything is fine really wouldn’t be considered thorough enough in my book.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 8:40 am
If it's a new thing then I would go to the doctor after a few days. If it has always been this way and everything else seems fine, I would mention it at the next checkup.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 1:08 pm
Don't want to scare you but low-grade intermittent fever for quite a while was one of the symptoms my parents missed when I was a kid. Turned out to be leukemia.

That should show up on a regular CBC, so if that's been done then you're fine.

But definitely don't just ignore it.

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 1:11 pm
I used to get a "hot face" (what would look like low grade fever) every evening when we lived in an apt building with gas heat. Now we have central and live in a warmer location and control our own heat, so it doesn't happen so much.

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 1:13 pm
Does he feel normal Or unwell? Is it 100 orally or by ear/ forehead ?
If it’s oral I would bring it up to the doctor. Can’t hurt to be safe.

mama123

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 1:38 pm
OP, you didn’t say how long this has been going on for. If this is a new development, it could be a wide range of issues. For example, this is how we caught my son’s Lyme disease; for 4 or so nights in a row he developed low grade fever in the evenings. And then I noticed the rash, but many never get a rash. But there’s many possibilities of things it could be, from very benign to more serious, so get it checked out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics