Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What do people do that REALLY can’t afford Jewish school?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 7:35 pm
Tri-state area:
Do you send to public?
Have you been able to get financial aid?
It is looking like over the next few years I won’t be able to do it (single mom, dad won’t pay).
How do I keep my kids in Jewish school?
And yes, I work full time.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 7:39 pm
Have you spoken to the schools?

I don't live in tri-state area, but one year I just couldn't do it. I homeschooled that year, which was an epic fail. (I love the idea of homeschooling but the constant discipline issues meant that there was almost no learning.)

A school administrator found out about it, and took my kids in the following year for free or whatever I could afford. (A few years later thank G-d we're able to pay most of tuition.)

amother
Caramel

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 7:42 pm
I’m not sure what they do and quite frankly I’m not sure what I’m going to do , but a school that doesn’t take a child due to financials is really a school I wouldn’t want to be belonged too. It’s sickening. A school in my community kicked a boy out because of finances and I really couldn’t help myself from thinking roughly of them and the rabbis involved. How can you do that to a Jewish child? And I’m talking about a school that gets 26k a year for tuition.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 7:43 pm
Try calling Oorah and Nechamas Yisroel and see if they can help you.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 7:45 pm
I’m terrified.
I hope the schools have some kind of compassion for single mothers (I’m modern orthodox).
The field that I am in pays decently but not well enough to have a few kids in private schools.

amother [ Caramel ] wrote:
I’m not sure what they do and quite frankly I’m not sure what I’m going to do , but a school that doesn’t take a child due to financials is really a school I wouldn’t want to be belonged too. It’s sickening. A school in my community kicked a boy out because of finances and I really couldn’t help myself from thinking roughly of them and the rabbis involved. How can you do that to a Jewish child? And I’m talking about a school that gets 26k a year for tuition.

amother
Red

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 7:46 pm
Really
Depends on the school.

amother
Diamond

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 8:46 pm
If you really can't pay, there absolutely should be scholarships. You may not get to go to the school of your choice in your community, but there are people in virtually every jewish school that pay nothing and are totally unable. That being said I am not MO so I know usually the tuition in MO schools is a lot higher.

Oorah is specifically for people that are not in yeshiva, it's meant as an incentive for not yet religious people to send to yeshiva, not for people in difficult financial situation to be able to pay their tuition. I am sure there has to be tzedaka organizations for this though.

simcha2

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 8:55 pm
The schools that my kids have been in all have had policies not to reject kids based on finances.
Families are expected to prioritize tuition, but they won't kick out kids whose parents can't pay. They give them reductions.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 9:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Tri-state area:
Do you send to public?
It is looking like over the next few years I won’t be able to do it (single mom, dad won’t pay).

Is there an option to sue the dad for child support? Is he not paying any child support at all?

finprof

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 9:12 pm
Our school gives generous scholarships based on your income. Did you ask?

mha3484

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 9:23 pm
I’m in the Midwest and our schools really work with parents. There is also a lot of chesed here who help fill in any gaps. The only kids I know in public school are there for educational reasons not financial.

amother
Eggplant

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 9:26 pm
I am MO and in Teaneck. I don’t know of anyone who was kicked out of school for not being able to pay. There are scholarships funds and Rabbis have discretionary funds.
Call the school, call your Rabbi; they will help and guide you.

shaqued_almond

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 9:32 pm
You could do public school at home online and Jewish online school or hire a teacher for Jewish studies for all of your kids. The children would need to be a little older though (starting 6-8 years old). And possibly a sitter (also depends on age). Some places have learning pods where you can drop your kids off. Those pods are basically micro schools but legally you would need to register the children as homeschooled.but first talk to your children's current school.

imasinger

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 10:06 pm
The MO school in Boston definitely makes it possible for parents in your situation to send their kids.

It's embarrassing to ask, and to submit your finances, but it may be your best option.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 10:56 pm
He pays child support. He won’t help with tuition. I am terrified of him.

amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
Is there an option to sue the dad for child support? Is he not paying any child support at all?

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 11:12 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:

This.

And schools will (should!) work with you.

Community activists get involved. That should already be happening.

What kind of school doesn't work with a single mom? Have you tried? The executive directors are used to dealing with these situations.

Hatzlachah. Oy, sigh...

amother
Arcticblue

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 2:10 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:

Oorah’s tuition program is for public school students to move to Jewish school.

amother
Winterberry

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 2:25 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Tri-state area:
Do you send to public?

I am a single mom and my ex pays for nothing. I have found the schools I have dealt with (more towards yeshivish than MO) to be very understanding.

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 2:34 am
I couldn't afford Jewish school for my children when they were in elementary and I sent to public, kippah, tzitzit out and all. I sent lunch and when I could afford I switched to yeshiva. I do have to say they had an excellent secular education, and we taught kodesh well enough that they transitioned well to yeshiva.

amother
Candycane

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 7:10 am
This is why scholarships exist, to help families in your situation. I have some experience with MO school boards and I can tell you that they have all been incredibly generous when a family needed help. Definitely reach out to the school.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics