Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Games
S/O school thread- att history nerds
  Previous  1  2  3 14 15  16  17  Next

Living Princess

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 6:45 pm
What's the connection between a teddy bear and a president of the US? (no Google!)

ChassidishMommy

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 6:45 pm
Living Princess wrote:
Rabbi Meir Shapiro zt"l
The Jewish king story I read a few times but can't remember

Correct

ChassidishMommy

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 6:46 pm
Living Princess wrote:
What's the connection between a teddy bear and a president of the US? (no Google!)

Teddy Roosevelt's adopted bear cub

KJP

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 7:30 pm
ChassidishMommy wrote:
Some more history bits for fellow Jewish history nerds: (I didn't read through the whole thread, hope I'm not doing any duplicates)

Lord George Gordon
Chaim Salomon
Mendel Beilis
Nachmanides Disputation
Schism in Hungarian Jewry

Lord George Gordon- British noble who converted to Judaism. I believe there is a book out about him from a frum publisher.

Mendel Beilis- I believe he was accused of murdering a Christian child and brought to trial, right around the Dreyfus affair?

KJP

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 7:31 pm
ChassidishMommy wrote:
Who was the first Orthodox Jew to sit in the Polish Sejm (parliament)?
Jewish king for a day in Poland (according to legend)

Jewish king of Poland for a day- Shaul Katzenellenbogen, a grandson of the Maharm of Padua.

ChassidishMommy

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 7:32 pm
KJP wrote:
Lord George Gordon- British noble who converted to Judaism. I believe there is a book out about him from a frum publisher.

Mendel Beilis- I believe he was accused of murdering a Christian child and brought to trial, right around the Dreyfus affair?

Correct on both. Beilis was a few years after the Dreyfus resolution.

KJP

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 7:32 pm
ChassidishMommy wrote:
Rabbis' March
Oldest Jewish congregation in the US?

Rabbis March- Group of rabbis who marched on the White House to demand that the Jews of Europe be saved.

Oldest Jewish Congregation in the US- Touro synagogue in Rhode Island.

ChassidishMommy

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 7:37 pm
KJP wrote:
Rabbis March- Group of rabbis who marched on the White House to demand that the Jews of Europe be saved.

Oldest Jewish Congregation in the US- Touro synagogue in Rhode Island.

Correct on the first, incorrect on the second. Touro synagogue is the oldest synagogue to be standing today, but there is a different congregation still in existence that came first.
In fact, ownership of the Touro synagogue was transferred to this cong. at the onset of the Revolutionary war. They were in the news recently regarding a dispute over the current ownership. Anyone recall the name?

youngishbear

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 8:11 pm
ChassidishMommy wrote:
Teddy Roosevelt's adopted bear cub

The story is a bit more complex. Roosevelt had gone on a bear hunt, but when his companions captured a bear and tied it to a tree, he refused to kill it because it wasn't "sportsmanlike."

A newspaper published a cartoon depicting this incident, which inspired toymakers to make a cute stuffed toy and name it Teddy in honor of the President.

The part everyone forgets is that Roosevelt had no problem shooting bears for sport, cute ones or otherwise. He just didn't like when it was too easy.

BetsyTacy

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 8:15 pm
[quote="ChassidishMommy"]Correct on the first, incorrect on the second. Touro synagogue is the oldest synagogue to be standing today, but there is a different congregation still in existence that came first.
In fact, ownership of the Touro synagogue was transferred to this cong. at the onset of the Revolutionary war. They were in the news recently regarding a dispute over the current ownership. Anyone recall the name?[/quote
Is it the Spanish Portuguese shul (shearith israel) in NY?

youngishbear

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 8:24 pm
Otto von Bismark

Guiseppe Garibaldi

Mary Wollstonecraft

Madame de Pompadour

Captain James Cook

GLUE

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 9:33 pm
1-In 1899 when 4 boro's joined Manhattan to make NYC a) What were the boros b) Which Boro was the race so close people claimed there was ballet stuffing c) Which Boro joined overwhelming do to a promise that never happened d)What was the promise
2-Why do some bridges in NYC have tolls and some do not
3-Robert Moses
4-Jane Jacobs

5-What happened at Rabbi Jacob Josef funeral
6-What happened with Kosher meat in the NYC and other parts of the East cost in 1902
7-Why did or maybe still does a kosher chicken have a plunger(or what ever the Yiddish word for lead is)on it's leg
8-How did the Orthodox Union change Kosher in the US

PractclyPerfect

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 9:43 pm
youngishbear wrote:
Otto von Bismark

Guiseppe Garibaldi

Mary Wollstonecraft

Madame de Pompadour

Captain James Cook

Bismark: Chancellor of Germany
Garibaldi: Inspired the Unification of Italy
Wollstonecraft: Enlightenment thinker, wrote A Vindication of the Rights of Women

SuperWify

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 9:46 pm
ChassidishMommy wrote:
Correct on the first, incorrect on the second. Touro synagogue is the oldest synagogue to be standing today, but there is a different congregation still in existence that came first.
In fact, ownership of the Touro synagogue was transferred to this cong. at the onset of the Revolutionary war. They were in the news recently regarding a dispute over the current ownership. Anyone recall the name?

Is it the shul in Philadelphia?

SuperWify

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 9:47 pm
GLUE wrote:
1-In 1899 when 4 boro's joined Manhattan to make NYC a) What were the boros b) Which Boro was the race so close people claimed there was ballet stuffing c) Which Boro joined overwhelming do to a promise that never happened d)What was the promise
3-Robert Moses
4-Jane Jacobs

6-What happened with Kosher meat in the NYC and other parts of the East cost in 1902
7-Why did or maybe still does a kosher chicken have a plunger(or what ever the Yiddish word for lead is)on it's leg

6- when R’ YY came to America he made a kosher tax

GLUE

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 9:59 pm
SuperWify wrote:
6- when R’ YY came to America he made a kosher tax

Good guess, however R'YY made the Kosher tax in the late 1800's, I for got what year. He suffered a stroke in 1897 which left Him in a incapacitated. R'YY was nifter in 1902

Anyone Know?

youngishbear

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 10:08 pm
GLUE wrote:
Good guess, however R'YY made the Kosher tax in the late 1800's, I for got what year. He suffered a stroke in 1897 which left Him in a incapacitated. R'YY was nifter in 1902

Anyone Know?

Are you referring to the boycott by Jewish housewives of kosher meat?

Reality

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 10:11 pm
ChassidishMommy wrote:
Rabbis' March
Oldest Jewish congregation in the US?

Rabbis march was answered already while I was sleeping but that is my families personal history!!!!

Oldest shul in the US is Mikvah Israel. Or Shearis Israel. Also known as the Spanish-Portuguese shul.

Reality

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 10:24 pm
GLUE wrote:
3-Robert Moses
4-Jane Jacobs

1. Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx. The corruption was in Brooklyn? I think a bridge was supposed to have been built built between 2 borons and never was, Manhattan and the Bronx?
2. Tolls

Reality

Post Thu, Dec 02 2021, 10:31 pm
Oops. I'll continue

2. Tolls - depended on when the bridge was built. Some bridges were only supposed to have tolls to cover the cost and their tolls were never removed.

3. Robert Moses - highway architect. He plowed through many an old neighbirhood to build the current highways in NYC.

4. Jane Jacobs - a female reformer who helped orphans get better treatments in orphanages and helped harlots.

5. I think there was a riot at the funeral?

6. Not sure

7. A plumba was attached to signify kashrus. There had been too many scandals of unscrupulous people selling treif chicken as kosher.

8. They changed from people reading the ingredients and assuming things were kosher/non kosher to having a mashgiach in the factory and really see what's going on.
Page 15 of 17   Previous  1  2  3 14 15  16  17  Next Recent Topics