Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
True or False? "Cakes are out" people are buying miniatures"
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 6:15 am
Thats what I was told by someone in the business (party planner) when I said the best tasting cake in the world, that way outdoes any miniatures Ive ever tasted, is Siegelmans.

And I was told "If people buy cakes for a Simcha, its Strawberry Shortcake" (ewwwwwwww).

Really? No more Siegelman cakes at Simchas, only her miniatures? Its not "in"?

No way!

amother
Birch

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 6:25 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thats what I was told by someone in the business (party planner) when I said the best tasting cake in the world, that way outdoes any miniatures Ive ever tasted, is Siegelmans.

And I was told "If people buy cakes for a Simcha, its Strawberry Shortcake" (ewwwwwwww).

No way!

Eh. Do what you want. Worst case, no one eats the cake and you can enjoy it yourself after the simcha.

doodlesmom

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 6:28 am
She’s basically right.
I personally do fancy cookies, they’re very easy to eat and therefore popular.
Also good to take home…

Last edited by doodlesmom on Fri, Dec 03 2021, 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total

rdmom

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 6:35 am
Siegelmans cake will NEVER go out.
I don’t know what’s done today or not but that is the first thing that goes at a Simcha. It’s gone the first.
So you do whatever you want. Everything gets eaten.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 6:36 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

No way!

Was just at a vort. The only cake that was finished to the last drop was the strawberry shortcake.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 6:36 am
Yum. Please get a strawberry shortcake!

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 6:38 am
SuperWify wrote:
Yum. Please get a strawberry shortcake!

Only if it's dairy with real whipped cream. Otherwise, what's the point?

I have seen mostly miniatures at fancy simchas. They've been around for a while, even before covid, so it's not a health measure.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 6:39 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

No way!

Most simchas I go to still have a siegelman cake but they also make a strawberry shortcake that is good. Do what you want

amother
Chestnut

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 6:46 am
Seigelman makes a great strawberry shortcake.
I do see more miniatures. I think people like them because they're easier to "just take one" vs opening the cake.

pause

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 7:15 am
I don't think cakes are out, rather that miniatures are in.

The problem is that the miniatures these days aren't miniature anymore. They're almost like mini cakes. People take one or two spoonfuls and then leave over the rest which is a real shame and waste of the baal simcha's money. If we go back to the 1-inch square plastic shot glasses, that's one thing. But these huge 10 oz glasses full of whip? Pass.

pause

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 7:17 am
amother [ Chestnut ] wrote:
Seigelman makes a great strawberry shortcake.
I do see more miniatures. I think people like them because they're easier to "just take one" vs opening the cake.

It's the ba'alas simcha's job to "open" the cake or else nobody else does it. Or she can appoint someone to slice it open as an invitation for people to take.

Amarante

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 8:02 am
If the party planner were a respected experienced party planner I would think she has a good sense of what is currently being done by most people.

Of course the issue really is whether you care or not? What has been your experience in terms of how people react in terms of whole cakes versus portion controlled desserts - e.g. miniatures.

Personally I think there are many reasons why single serving desserts are increasingly popular. Many people don't want to slice a cake even if someone has already sliced it. In general one is generally offered a SLICE of cake which is sliced by someone else. I would also think that an entire cake gets disreputable looking after a few people have "attacked" it whereas miniatures remain pretty and tempting.

Even at a small gathering at home people don't put out a whole cake on the buffet but generally either serve it plated or have slices available which are the equivalent of miniatures.

amother
Celeste

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 8:04 am
pause wrote:
It's the ba'alas simcha's job to "open" the cake or else nobody else does it. Or she can appoint someone to slice it open as an invitation for people to take.

Agreed. But it's still messier to cut a cake and get the slice onto your plate than to take a miniature, especially if it's gooey. Which a strawberry shortcake definitely is, so that doesn't help (though I love it, even the parve version). So many people don't bother. Plus, it requires two hands to eat, rather than a miniature.

Also, a lot of people don't actually eat at the kiddush or vort or whatever. They grab something and take it with them (which is fine, because it'sthe same amount they would eat there.) Cake is messier to transport.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 8:42 am
Dunno, I have tasted lots of miniatures. The taste of Siegelmans just doesnt compare. Her cakes are way beyond better tasting.

Lovable

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 8:43 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Dunno, I have tasted lots of miniatures. The taste of Siegelmans just doesnt compare. Her cakes are way beyond better tasting.

She makes them in miniatures as well!! YUM
Both her standard and the strawberry shortcake

asmileaday

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 8:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

She makes her cake in a miniature. But the cake is still amazing!
I still see cakes at simchas but also lots of miniatures.
Like someone else said, I hate the huge "miniatures". Look around at a simcha, people take one spoon and leave the rest for the garbage. Such a waste.

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 8:54 am
The only cake I like is strawberry shortcake.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 8:56 am
Personally I made a simcha and I bought cakes and made sure to open them I did big kokosh it was a huge hit. Miniatures I feel is a waste you take two bites it’s to sweet and goes into the garbage. Also it’s easier for people to take home for there husbands and sitters which I am so against.

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 9:05 am
People still send it, but it doesn’t get the prime spot anymore.

Last edited by amother on Wed, Dec 22 2021, 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 9:27 am
What's a siegelman cake
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics