Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Best Cheese alternative
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 10:12 am
What's the best non dairy cheese alternative? Something that wont make me gag.

mha3484

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 10:20 am
Non dairy cheese is not exactly healthy.

I like the follow your heart parmesan cheese

Trader joes makes two that are pretty decent a feta and boursin cheese.

Miyokos makes pretty good stuff but a lot of it is DE if thats an issue for you.

ThankYou!1

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 10:23 am
Thanks!
Just need to limit my dairy intake for health reasons, so DE shouldn't be a prob

mha3484

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 10:25 am
A lot of the miykos "cheese" is nut based which makes it taste better and has more nutrition.

tichellady

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 11:29 am
Only non dairy cheeses I like are the cashew based ones but they don’t really taste like cheese. I can’t stand the other ones but I think If you go off dairy then after a while you forget what cheese tastes like and then they can be tastey.

flmommy

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 11:53 am
Nutritional yeast has a cheesy flavor and is pareve

amother
Catmint

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 1:38 pm
Miyokos and forager but honestly I can’t stomach any of it.

Goat and sheep cheese is supposed to be slightly better for you. I’ve made my own cheese sauces and cheesecakes with cashews which wasn’t too bad

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Dec 04 2021, 12:40 pm
Gaia brand makes a "cheddar" version that is surprisingly good. I had my first "cheeseburger" in over 20 years! I honestly couldn't tell the difference, and I'm a cheese snob.

The "mozzarella" version is somewhat dry, so I'd save that for cooking in a lasagna or something. It's not great on it's own.

Other dairy substitutes I like are Tofutti and SoyDelicious. Their sour cream and cream cheese are pretty good, especially if they are mixed into a recipe and not just eaten on their own. Tofutti chocolate ice cream is delicious, and doesn't have that weird chemical taste that other parve ice creams have.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sat, Dec 04 2021, 11:56 pm
Cheese alternatives are junk food. If you find one you like, and you’re doing this for health, keep that in mind.

amother
Holly

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 12:35 am
I do homemade cashew based ones

Ellie7

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 2:18 am
It depends what you want. If you want to eat a slice of cheese, I don’t think you’re going to be satisfied. If you want to melt it on a burger or make nacho sauce, you’ll do ok. (I use Daiya for both of those.)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 12:37 pm
Ellie7 wrote:
It depends what you want. If you want to eat a slice of cheese, I don’t think you’re going to be satisfied. If you want to melt it on a burger or make nacho sauce, you’ll do ok. (I use Daiya for both of those.)

The cheese I wanna use for pizza/paninis etc...

amother
NeonGreen

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 7:00 pm
Bumping this thread because I want to know if anything really great has come out on the market. Would like to use it for grilled cheese or baked type of dishes, so doesn't have to taste great plain.
Also, im avoiding diary due to allergies so if you know goat cheese or the like has worked for you in such a situation, would love to know. I've tried lactose free milk but didn't experience such a difference in how regular milk and dairy usually affects me (although was too scared to try it more then once or twice!)
TIA

ettilou

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 7:26 pm
Violife brand tastes really good. I’ve been off dairy for 3 years and have tried so many brands. Personally I really didn’t like any of the Miyokos products. My kids will even eat the violife strawberry cream cheese with crackers for a snack

Elilove

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 7:34 pm
Miykos cashew cheese best by far

amother
Poppy

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 7:56 pm
ettilou wrote:
Violife brand tastes really good. I’ve been off dairy for 3 years and have tried so many brands. Personally I really didn’t like any of the Miyokos products. My kids will even eat the violife strawberry cream cheese with crackers for a snack

I'm curious if anyone has verified the hechsher on the Violife products.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 4:33 am
Thank you for your responses!

amother
Dustypink

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 5:22 pm
Used to get daiya but their formula changed.
Whole foods has a nice line of shredded

ettilou

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 7:58 pm
Violife does not have a reliable hechsher. I thought it was a reliable one as it looked similar. I checked and even called the O-U. Please do not buy it. It’s not traif, but the hechsher is not reliable.

amother
Topaz

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 9:28 pm
If you looking for a cheese sauce
You can make it using butternut squash and nutritional yeast (for yellow cheese sauce) or cauliflower and nutritional yeast

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=.....hdWNl
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise