Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How do I set the timer for oven to turn off Friday night?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 3:56 pm
I have a GE oven model JGB630REF2SS. I looked at the manual but it doesn't list delay time on shabbos mode. Only has shabbos mode separately from cook time, so I'm not sure how to do it?

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Dec 04 2021, 7:26 pm
is it digital or can you use a plug in timer?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 04 2021, 9:03 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
is it digital or can you use a plug in timer?
digital

thanks

Post Sat, Dec 04 2021, 9:03 pm
On my ge oven, you set the cook time for how long you want the oven on.

Delay time is the amount of time to delay turning the oven on.

So once you have it on shabbos mode, you set the cook time and the temperature.

Last edited by thanks on Sat, Dec 04 2021, 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

athomemom

Post Sat, Dec 04 2021, 9:14 pm
Not sure what model oven I have all I know is its a ge profile.
Mine has an option shabbos mode where u can choose if it should work 12 hr or till shut off.
Once u press shabbos mode on you get ] symbol now enter the temperature you want and press enter another [ should appear
Hope I was clear/helpful

yersp

Post Sat, Dec 04 2021, 9:51 pm
I have a GE oven too and I don't set a timer to shut it. It automatically shuts after 12 hours, so I figure more or less what time we'll eat the seuda and start the oven 12 hours before. It shuts automatically after 12 hours.

thunderstorm

Post Sat, Dec 04 2021, 10:17 pm
I have a GE Oven.
I set cook time first . Example 4 hours . Cook time, 4 hrs , Start
Then set on Shabbos Mode ,(you need to click two buttons together don’t know off hand which two, follow the manual) once you see the Shabbos mode symbol ], then click on Bake and the temperature (I do 200) start and wait until the second symbol shows up [ before opening the oven door to put stuff in. It will shut off after 4 hours if that is the cook time you set it to.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 10 2021, 3:56 pm
This is from the manual:
"Options for this feature are “on”, “oFF” and “SAb”.

12-hour auto shut-off turns off the oven after 12 hours of continuous operations.

The Sabbath feature can be used for baking only. This feature disables all cooking functions except Bake, overrides 12-hour shutoff, and turns off all beeps. Broil, Steam Clean, Delay Time, and Cook Time cannot be used with this feature. Sabbath mode does not disable the oven light which turns on when the door opens; therefore the bulb must be removed to ensure that the light does not turn on. Reference the Maintenance Section for information on how to remove the light bulb."
It says cook time can not be used with shabbos mode. So what's really point of shabbos mode?

amother
Dill

Post Sat, Dec 11 2021, 7:14 pm
yersp wrote:
I have a GE oven too and I don't set a timer to shut it. It automatically shuts after 12 hours, so I figure more or less what time we'll eat the seuda and start the oven 12 hours before. It shuts automatically after 12 hours.

FTR many hold that you are not allowed to open the door to an oven that is on in standard mode on an oven. There are reasons that I’m not familiar with. I think it has to do with the adjustment of the heating when allowing in cold air. In any event Shabbos mode makes this not an issue... AYLOR or do some research to make sure you don’t hold this way n

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 3:38 pm
I only want it to shut off by the time dh comes home from shul. I know you can't open and close it if the oven is on. But if you can't use cook time with shabbos mode, it's going to beep anyway when the cook time is up. Does anyone have this oven?

amother
DarkGreen

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 3:42 pm
What I do is leave the oven on and DH shuts it before Shkiyah. The food stays hot for at least 2 hours.

If the meal will be later than 2-3 hours after licht bentchen, I will sometimes put 2-3 tea lights on a tray on the bottom of the oven, and put a piece of foil on the rack above it as a blech. It really keeps the food hot.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 17 2021, 1:14 pm
Anyone else have this oven and know? The manual isn't correct about some things so maybe they're wrong about this too. They say you can't use it for both cook time and shabbos mode at the same time but they also say the oven light will turn on when you open the door so you need to remove the bulb but this isn't true because there's a separate light button. I called up GE but the representative was just as confused and not as familiar with this model. He said most ovens you can use cook time together.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Dec 17 2021, 1:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Anyone else have this oven and know? The manual isn't correct about some things so maybe they're wrong about this too. They say you can't use it for both cook time and shabbos mode at the same time but they also say the oven light will turn on when you open the door so you need to remove the bulb but this isn't true because there's a separate light button. I called up GE but the representative was just as confused and not as familiar with this model. He said most ovens you can use cook time together.

Shabbat mode controlling the light must be a new feature. Mine doesn't; we removed the bulb years ago for that reason. Are oven lights actually useful?

On my oven, you absolutely can use cooking time to tell the oven to turn off Friday night. I used to use it for soup. (I've now discovered turning off the Instant Pot controls, so I use that for soup instead). I also have a warming drawer, so I tend to use that more than the oven.

Try it. Turn the oven to Shabbat mode, and set the cooking time for 15 minutes. See what happens.

STMommy

Post Fri, Dec 17 2021, 1:36 pm
the GE oven with Shabbos mode cannot be used together with a timed bake.
It is really a yom tov mode.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Dec 17 2021, 1:41 pm
STMommy wrote:
the GE oven with Shabbos mode cannot be used together with a timed bake.
It is really a yom tov mode.

We have a GE oven with Shabbat mode, and always set it to turn off Friday night.

Maybe its changed, but for ours, your statement is untrue.

bargainlover

Post Fri, Dec 17 2021, 1:57 pm
I have a similar model, not exactly the same
Hold bake and broil till says sab
Then press bake and minus / each push is 25 degrees
I leave mine on 250
Then press cook time, I do it for an hour and 15 min
The. Press start and you’ll see 2 “c”s

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 17 2021, 3:09 pm
bargainlover wrote:
I have a similar model, not exactly the same
Hold bake and broil till says sab
Then press bake and minus / each push is 25 degrees
I leave mine on 250
Then press cook time, I do it for an hour and 15 min
The. Press start and you’ll see 2 “c”s
thanks. When I press bake and broil together it says SF. Then when I press bake it starts off with 1 and goes up to 35. And then let's say I choose 30, which I don't know what that stands for maybe 300?, then I press cook time and nothing happens.

bargainlover

Post Fri, Dec 17 2021, 3:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
thanks. When I press bake and broil together it says SF. Then when I press bake it starts off with 1 and goes up to 35. And then let's say I choose 30, which I don't know what that stands for maybe 300?, then I press cook time and nothing happens.

After shabbos, call star k and speak to their shabbos mode dept
In the meantime you can warm up all the food and shut the oven right before you light candles

amother
Black

Post Fri, Dec 17 2021, 3:19 pm
Does anyone have a Frigidaire and know how to do it?

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Dec 17 2021, 3:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You need to keep pressing DELAY START until it gets to Shabbat mode.

Sorry, gotta run. I can see if I can help more motzei shabbat,
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen