Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Road trip NY to Florida
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 10:34 am
About how long does it take to get there?
We do NOT want to drive overnight. Will be staying at motels along the way.
We want to do fun activities and sightseeing along the way, not only driving, but OK with long stretches of driving as long as we get a solid night's sleep in between.
Is it realistic to do that in 3 days? Leave first thing in the morning on day 1 and arrive at a hotel in Miami maybe late suppertime on day 3?

I have never driven to or from Florida and have never taken any road trip anywhere so I have literally no idea what to expect.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 10:42 am
My parents do
This often. 3 days is very doable

pause

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 10:44 am
Three days, well planned out, is ideal. About 6 hours of driving per day.

amother
Brass

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 10:45 am
Ny to Miami is about 20 hours. So 3 days won't you much time for also doing activities.

benny

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 11:14 am
We’ve done this a few times. With kids! Best memories ever! We usually stop in North Carolina the first night, Georgia the 2nd night and get to Miami for night 3. We did base this around minyan so I’m sure there are other ways to divide it up as well. I can help with questions is youre looking for more info

amother
Birch

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 12:08 pm
I’ve done it.
Mixed feelings. The driving can really end up being a lot at certain points

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 12:40 pm
Thanks.
Gosh I was hoping the answer would be yes or no. Confused Now I still have no idea what to do but it's a start.

We want to have a nice, relaxing, fun vacation starting Tuesday. Me and DH, no kids. We want to spend Shabbos in Miami and have time to spend on the beach first. We'd have to fly back to NY right after Shabbos.

So the options are either fly to Florida and spend all 4 days (including Friday) there, or drive and do things along the way. Flying would be more efficient and more relaxing, but doing things along the way sounds more fun. Is there anything to do in Miami other than beaches and tourist traps? We aren't looking to spend a ton, and while we plan to enjoy the beaches I don't think we'd find it fun for more than a couple of hours once or twice. What else is there to do around Miami? 4 days seems like a long time to bum around.

pause

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 12:49 pm
You two without kids can handle a drive. Then again, there's plenty for you to do in or near Miami as well. I'd rather fly and enjoy activities together rather than spending so much time in a car. Also what would you do with the vehicle? Leave it in Miami? Road tripping with a car rental will not be cheaper than one way airfare.

amother
Wallflower

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 12:51 pm
This may seem like a silly question, but have you ever been to a beach with the whole family? Someone might hate it and want to leave right away, or the opposite way around, you might want to stay all day.
I would say have some plans but leave room for on the fly changes. Especially if you have little kids.

amother
Brass

Post Fri, Dec 03 2021, 12:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks.
Gosh I was hoping the answer would be yes or no. Confused Now I still have no idea what to do but it's a start.

We want to have a nice, relaxing, fun vacation starting Tuesday. Me and DH, no kids. We want to spend Shabbos in Miami and have time to spend on the beach first. We'd have to fly back to NY right after Shabbos.

So the options are either fly to Florida and spend all 4 days (including Friday) there, or drive and do things along the way. Flying would be more efficient and more relaxing, but doing things along the way sounds more fun. Is there anything to do in Miami other than beaches and tourist traps? We aren't looking to spend a ton, and while we plan to enjoy the beaches I don't think we'd find it fun for more than a couple of hours once or twice. What else is there to do around Miami? 4 days seems like a long time to bum around.

Unless you love sitting in the car for long periods of time I would say fly. You really don't have enough time to take a relaxing road trips with stops along the way. I would fly and drive around Florida instead. There are some gorgeous places there.

amother
Daphne

Post Sat, Dec 04 2021, 8:53 am
Personally, I would love this.
No joke but do you and DH enjoy each other's company like with talking? If yes this would be amazing. We drove continuously for 19 hours. Well, we started in NJ and ended in Ft. Lauderdale. So 20 hours sounds about right.
So dividing it in 3 days and then into 2 time of driving per day, maybe drive 3 hours in the AM to some destination then enjoy all day then drive 3 more hours in the evening to your sleeping spot. So you can enjoy the major part of all 3 days.
It really sounds lovely to me.

DrMom

Post Sat, Dec 04 2021, 11:47 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks.

For a vacation that is going to last all of 5 days, I'd fly. But you should research what there is to do in the greater Miami area (try tripadvisor.com or similar websites for ideas) and see if there are enough things to your liking.

If not, find things to do on the way. Look at a map and start googling.

I assume if you are going to drive, you'd rent a car and only drive one-way, right? Just making sure I understand.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 04 2021, 5:26 pm
Yes, we would rent a car, drive there, and fly back.
It would definitely NOT be cheaper than flying both ways, but could be an interesting experience. And I'm assuming that whatever we do in Miami would not be cheap because it is a tourist destination. And we'd most probably end up renting a car while there anyway, so the expense would probably end up similar. I don't know.

Anyway, hit me up with your best ideas of what to do around Miami please. Other than beach.

amother
Linen

Post Sat, Dec 04 2021, 5:52 pm
Did it every year from 3-13
My dad did it in 2 days
Summer when it doesn’t get dark until very late

But we use to stay for 1 month
IMHO- it’s not worth for a short stay

Keep in mind gas is expensive now

grace413

Post Sat, Dec 04 2021, 6:16 pm
https://www.evergladessafaripark.com/

Everglades boat tours are great! Check around to see which one suits you best.

Amarante

Post Sat, Dec 04 2021, 6:49 pm
Is there some reason that Miami is your destination.

I ask because you are going to be spending a LOT of time in a car or plane and relatively little time relaxing.

There are lots of interesting things to do when you drive from New York especially if you don't have children. But I don't see how you would be able to do anything realistically except drive - eat and crash at a motel.

When people talk about driving intensively to Miami or other three day "road trip" it is generally because they plan to spend a good bit of time at the destination so driving makes sense.

I think it makes more sense to plan an interesting vacation where you drive a reasonable distance and enjoy wherever you are. For example, you can drive to Washington DC and also go to Williamsburg. The Shenandoah Mountains might still have foliage. Charlottesville is interesting because of Monticello. I am must throwing that out in terms of how you could spend a week without having to spend the majority of the time in a car or in a plane. Flying realistically takes almost a day by the time you get to the airport ahead of time - check in - and then get from the airport.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 04 2021, 8:17 pm
The reason for Miami is relatives. It is not vital that we see these relatives during this vacation, but we want to travel to somewhere warm and beachy so may as well visit the relatives while we're at it. And we'd spend Shabbos with family, so we wouldn't need to make separate Shabbos arrangements.

I'm confused because some posts are saying it would just be tons of time in the car, while others are saying about 6 hours a day which really doesn't seem like that much when broken into chunks. I'm leaning toward flying anyway but only if I can figure out how to enjoy 4 days in Miami when we're not THAT into beaches.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Sat, Dec 04 2021, 8:27 pm
Both driven and flown to Florida multiple times, I am actually here now for a few days. Personally, when we drive we drive straight through the night and barely make any stops. I like flying way better. There are really plenty of stuff to do for a few days without just going to the beach.

amother
Sage

Post Sat, Dec 04 2021, 8:30 pm
Another vote for fly and do road trips there if you're bored.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 04 2021, 8:40 pm
OK so please start helping with ideas of what you do once there, because google isn't being very inspiring. Everglades, yes, that sounds good for a chunk of one day. Tripadvisor and Groupon are about 50% boat rides and 50% nonkosher food. What else is there? Anything creative?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics