Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
1 nice thing you do
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 04 2021, 7:19 pm
What is 1 really nice thing that you do consistently with 1 or more if your children? Share and inspire us!

I will start. I read to my 11 year old every night one chapter in a book. This is one way we can still bond even though he has longer hours at school and he is busy with friends and after school activities. It also helps broaden his vocabulary and encourages reading.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Sat, Dec 04 2021, 7:26 pm
Wow that's nice for both of you, I'm pretty sure I was no longer interested in being read to by that age. I was a massively voracious independent reader and it's in part because my father read to me and my siblings every night until we stopped showing up.

I get down on the floor and let my baby climb on me. :- )

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 04 2021, 7:31 pm
amother [ Amaryllis ] wrote:
Wow that's nice for both of you, I'm pretty sure I was no longer interested in being read to by that age. I was a massively voracious independent reader and it's in part because my father read to me and my siblings every night until we stopped showing up.

I get down on the floor and let my baby climb on me. :- )

Thanks for sharing that about your father. Gives me chizuk to continue. He does read on his own but not chapter books.

In regards to your baby I remember when my son was little I would lie on the floor and he would crawl all over me Smile I was like a fun mountain to climb over.

Blue jay

Post Sat, Dec 04 2021, 8:07 pm
Play the board game ,”Risk” on Shabbat
Also family poker night

mushkamothers

Post Sat, Dec 04 2021, 9:20 pm
Say yes when they ask to help in the kitchen... even though they just make a bigger mess... (age 2 and 4)

On the flip side my 4y old has now learned to make potato kugel himself from scratch. Which I only learned to do this past year at um, let's just say, not age 4.

So it's hard in the moment but def the longer shorter way.

amother
Calendula

Post Sat, Dec 04 2021, 9:23 pm
I cook good food for them.

amother
Canary

Post Sat, Dec 04 2021, 9:27 pm
I color with my 4 year old. She’s 100% capable of sitting by herself and coloring and I can be doing other things like cooking , cleaning, relaxing by myself … but she asks me to sit and color with her. And when I stop what I’m doing to give her that attention, it means the world to her

I need to do it more

amother
Celeste

Post Sat, Dec 04 2021, 9:31 pm
I play with all kids on Shabbat, one child at a time. I try to do the same during the week if it’s not too busy.

essie14

Post Sat, Dec 04 2021, 9:35 pm
amother [ Canary ] wrote:
I color with my 4 year old. She’s 100% capable of sitting by herself and coloring and I can be doing other things like cooking , cleaning, relaxing by myself … but she asks me to sit and color with her. And when I stop what I’m doing to give her that attention, it means the world to her

I need to do it more

Same! My DD is also 4 and loves when I color with her. I try to do it as often as I can when she asks.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Sat, Dec 04 2021, 10:09 pm
I say good night to each kid for 10-20 minutes every night. Shema, I love you, hugs, kisses, stories, how was your day, what else do you want to tell me…

hodeez

Post Sat, Dec 04 2021, 10:40 pm
Our love language is floor puzzles

amother
Feverfew

Post Sat, Dec 04 2021, 11:11 pm
I read to my kids every morning while they are eating breakfast.

SuperWify

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 3:22 am
amother [ Feverfew ] wrote:

Wow! Sounds like such a calm morning!!

I try to do one mindful activity every day- whether it’s a sensory bin, coloring or homework together (at that age it’s still fun), reading a book together, or cuddling in bed until he falls asleep.

annalee

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 4:15 am
mushkamothers wrote:
Say yes when they ask to help in the kitchen... even though they just make a bigger mess... (age 2 and 4).

Wow. You’re good. I haven’t gotten there yet

annalee

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 4:15 am
amother [ Calendula ] wrote:
I cook good food for them.
LOL

Beingreal

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 4:26 am
I love them with every fiber of my being. I read to them at night and I tell them each night how special they are and how Hashem loves them and me and my husband loves them.They also get to tell me what is one positive thing that happened that day to them.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 4:50 am
amother [ Feverfew ] wrote:

Hey. I'm going to try this. My kids unfortunately enjoy watching a screen while eating. This can be a nice change.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 4:51 am
This thread is so inspirational! Keep posting!

amother
Feverfew

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 5:26 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hey. I'm going to try this. My kids unfortunately enjoy watching a screen while eating. This can be a nice change.

It's actually really fun. They pick a stack of books from their bookshelf and we get through about 3-5. Then the morning rush of getting dressed/brush teeth/ out of the house begins. But they've already gotten some calm attention from me so I don't feel bad if it gets a little rushy and hectic after.

amother
Feverfew

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 5:27 am
mushkamothers wrote:
Say yes when they ask to help in the kitchen... even though they just make a bigger mess... (age 2 and 4)

On the flip side my 4y old has now learned to make potato kugel himself from scratch. Which I only learned to do this past year at um, let's just say, not age 4.

So it's hard in the moment but def the longer shorter way.

Wow. This is amazing.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics