Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
1 nice thing you do
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Starflower

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 8:35 am
amother [ Ultramarine ] wrote:
I say good night to each kid for 10-20 minutes every night. Shema, I love you, hugs, kisses, stories, how was your day, what else do you want to tell me…

We do similar. Right before bed, the little ones crowd around DH on the couch as he reads a book and then tells a snippet of the parsha from that days Chumash.
Then we take them to bed and sing shema together with the kids. After shema each kid gets individual attention (2-10 min per kid) to tell us about their day and anything else they want to tell us before going to sleep.

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 10:51 am
amother [ Feverfew ] wrote:
Wow. This is amazing.

Interested 4-year-olds are capable of making many dishes by themselves (with supervision). Many parents just don't tap into that!

amother
Stonewash

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 11:00 am
Listen to my children. Sometimes right away, sometimes a few days later, but I will write down that a child wants to talk to come back to them and make sure they feel heard.

lucky14

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 9:48 pm
I have a newborn at home and unfortunately my energy and attention is totally consumed with him at the moment but while I'm nursing my kids know I'm available to listen to them talk (I do that any time during the day but especially while I'm sitting down nursing they know I have extra time to focus on them 100%) or read to them.

I am feeling so guilty about how un-fun I have been lately Sad
I am being inspired by the other responses.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 9:55 pm
I give my older kids a lot of physical affection because they seek it, even though it's much harder for me to be so physically affectionate with the older ones. I am very mushy with the little ones, but with teens I have to push myself to hug a lot, snuggle, etc but I do because they like it.

I try to make eye contact with my kids and smile at them when they talk to me.

amother
IndianRed

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 9:57 pm
I tuck them into bed, I give them bottles, I put on music for them, I go to them when they cry in middle of the night. The older ones not much.

amother
Lightblue

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 9:57 pm
I do their laundry.
Nothing says I love you like clean undies Smile

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 10:53 pm
H

torquoise

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 11:53 pm
Love this! Thanks for starting!
When they come home from school, I give them my complete attention for 10-20 minutes. (The time they come home are staggered.) Some aren't interested in talking, so it's only with 1 or 2 of them.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 12:43 am
1. When they are young, in the winter I put their clothes on the radiator before they get dressed to make them cozy.

2. We have a secret physical signal that means I love you, something no one would notice so I can say it anytime privately!

3. I give them tzedaka to give every day before they leave

4 I Daven for their future spouse. I don't mean
for them to find their besherte, I mean I Daven for that person-- his/her safety, relationship to Hashem, joy in life

5 If there is a Friday the 13th, ice cream with breakfast!

6 I tell each one how lucky I am to be his/her mother

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 7:48 am
Just today my 4 year old had a big scowl on her face when I got her from gan.

Me: is something wrong?
Her: the teacher yelled at me
*I hugged her
Once we got a little farther away from the gan*
Me: Do you want to talk about it? Why did the teacher yell at you?
Her: because Naomi showed the teacher her butt
Me: why did she yell at YOU if Naomi showed her her butt?
Her: Because Naomi and I showed the teacher our butts
Me: *hugs her again* That must have been hard for you. Nobody likes to be yelled at, that feels bad. You're a good girl. Don't worry, the teacher still likes you.

Last year we had a similar conversation when she bit a kid at school. Then she never bit again, and I highly doubt she'll show the teacher her butt again, so it would be totally unnecessary for me to get mad at her. My mom would have given me h3ll, so I feel like I'm making big progress, and hopefully my daughter will be able to talk to me about anything (I had to hide everything from my mom).

amother
Red

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 8:50 am
I try to make them a hot (really, warm) drink to take with them when they leave for school in the morning. Neither of them are big breakfast people and I put in almost a cup of milk so it also makes me feel like they got some nutrition.

When my dh announced that he would be going out to learn on Friday nights in the winter I offered to have ‘oneg’ with my dds. If we’re ready a drop early for Shabbos, I make fresh popcorn and we always have special nosh and snacks & play board games together for a few hours. We include any female guests we might have for Shabbos & recently some of my nieces who live nearby have started walking over some weeks. My girls look forward to it all week (and all summer) and count down the weeks till we change the clocks. I keep my eyes open and have bought a bunch of new games over the years (this is our 3rd or 4th winter of onegs) specifically for oneg (that doesn’t mean they can’t play them other times but the first time is at an oneg).

In general, when I am shopping I try to keep their likes and requests in mind. I might not get everything they ask for but if I see something I know they like (food, toy, clothing, really anything) on sale or restocked after being unavailable, they know I’ll get it for them. Sometimes they might need to ‘earn’ it but sometimes it’s just ‘because I love you’.

Anon because I know at least one of our frequent oneg guests is on here (🤗💕)

goforit

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 9:05 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:
I try to make them a hot (really, warm) drink to take with them when they leave for school in the morning. Neither of them are big breakfast people and I put in almost a cup of milk so it also makes me feel like they got some nutrition.

When my dh announced that he would be going out to learn on Friday nights in the winter I offered to have ‘oneg’ with my dds. If we’re ready a drop early for Shabbos, I make fresh popcorn and we always have special nosh and snacks & play board games together for a few hours. We include any female guests we might have for Shabbos & recently some of my nieces who live nearby have started walking over some weeks. My girls look forward to it all week (and all summer) and count down the weeks till we change the clocks. I keep my eyes open and have bought a bunch of new games over the years (this is our 3rd or 4th winter of onegs) specifically for oneg (that doesn’t mean they can’t play them other times but the first time is at an oneg).

In general, when I am shopping I try to keep their likes and requests in mind. I might not get everything they ask for but if I see something I know they like (food, toy, clothing, really anything) on sale or restocked after being unavailable, they know I’ll get it for them. Sometimes they might need to ‘earn’ it but sometimes it’s just ‘because I love you’.

Anon because I know at least one of our frequent oneg guests is on here (🤗💕)

Sounds amazing any game suggestions?

amother
Red

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 9:33 am
goforit wrote:
Sounds amazing any game suggestions?

Depends on the ages and personalities but a few we enjoy:(btw we don’t play games with money on Shabbos)
Go nuts for donuts
Sushi (don’t remember the exact name but I think from the same company as go nuts)
Ticket to ride
Racko
Rummicub
And when we have a crowd it’s definitely the Kichel’s game!

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 9:38 am
I rly love this thread.
My parents use to put our clothing on the radiator when we were young and ill always remember that gesture.

I only have one small baby atm, but I make sure shes always cleaned, well fed and happy. I guess thats the bare minimum tho lol. I play with her, sing and dance with her.

I pack her yummy lunches I know she loves, and I pack them neatly in separate containers so her food flavors dont get mixed up.

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 9:40 am
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
I rly love this thread.
My parents use to put our clothing on the radiator when we were young and ill always remember that gesture.

I only have one small baby atm, but I make sure shes always cleaned, well fed and happy. I guess thats the bare minimum tho lol. I play with her, sing and dance with her.

I pack her yummy lunches I know she loves, and I pack them neatly in separate containers so her food flavors dont get mixed up.

Hey--bare minimum is a lot of work. I think all of us mothers should appreciate just how hard we work!

amother
Oleander

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 10:18 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:
Depends on the ages and personalities but a few we enjoy:(btw we don’t play games with money on Shabbos)
Go nuts for donuts
Sushi (don’t remember the exact name but I think from the same company as go nuts)
!

I believe it's sushi go

Chayalle

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 10:36 am
My young teenager likes to curl up next to me in the evening and read (we both read our own books, next to each other) before going to bed.

With my adult (over 20's) DD's, I try to meet them for lunch from time to time, to spend 1 on 1 time with them.

amother
Calendula

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 10:37 am
annalee wrote:
LOL

What’s so funny?

amother
Red

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 11:35 am
amother [ Oleander ] wrote:
I believe it's sushi go

Yes, that’s it