Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Child cant do ____ does he have a problem?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 12:25 pm
My 10 yr old son in 5th grade doesnt do well in school with word problems and reading comprehension despite having a setts teacher and speech therapist.

To me, yes, his services help him, but in the long run, he still cant understand what he reads. I do think he may have add, but he does focus well in the morning with gemara/chumash etc.

The dr brought this up today at his well visit that maybe take him to LIJ developmental center(I am not sure the exact name and have to see if my insurance accepts it...there is also a long waiting list.)

Meanwhile, I am wondering, is medicine going to possibly magically make him understand the math word problems/reading passages?(yes, some of you may say I have to try it first) but im asking if any of you have experience with these issues...etc

What im trying to say is that I know meds have side effects and different meds work for different children, but is it possible that some students are just bad at reading comprehension?? how do we know if its an issue of him not focusing? my son watched a kids episode of rabbi maimon elbaz and couldnt understand the messages! im really not sure what to do for my son.

yes I know ppl will say talk to the developmental center, but im not someone who goes in without some knowledge....I know my son best, so if I can hear others' experiences, maybe I can suggest ideas to the center. Im not even sure what a developmental center is or the titles of the drs.

please share your opinions based on your experiences with your children/friends/relatives

thanks

Surrendered

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 12:45 pm
I have experience I this. 10 year old son, 5th grade same issue.
You can pm me for details on what we did.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 12:50 pm
This is screaming language disorder to me. Is his speech therapist working on speech or language? Is language her expertise? He needs a top notch language therapist and intensive language therapy. If there's also ADHD, medicating it may make it easier for him to focus and absorb the lessons he's being taught

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 8:55 pm
thanks for the responses.

right now, I dont feel comfortable pming about this.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 8:57 pm
Sometimes comprehension issues are caused by poor focus, and sometimes they’re a processing issue separate from focus. Sometimes you also have both. A neuropsychologist can help you tease this apart.

amother
Lightgray

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 9:04 pm
I would rule out processing and vision issues/ disorders before jumping to medication.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 9:10 pm
amother [ Lightgray ] wrote:
I would rule out processing and vision issues/ disorders before jumping to medication.

so is this done with the dr/developmental center?? I know vision is fine because he has glasses and gets eye exams often. But, How would I know if it was a processing issue that is not caused by lack of focus?

seeker

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 10:31 pm
Unfortunately there are no easy answers. You don't want to hear "see what the developmental center finds" or "the only way to kow whether meds will help is to try" but it's the bald truth.

One key missing fact is whether the comprehension issue is only for reading or also in listening - does he understand the same text better if someone reads it aloud?

amother
Snowflake

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 10:34 pm
seeker wrote:
Unfortunately there are no easy answers. You don't want to hear "see what the developmental center finds" or "the only way to kow whether meds will help is to try" but it's the bald truth.

One key missing fact is whether the comprehension issue is only for reading or also in listening - does he understand the same text better if someone reads it aloud?

Per OP, “my son watched a kids episode of rabbi maimon elbaz and couldnt understand the messages!”
I have no idea what that is but it sounds auditory to me.

I agree with your first point.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 10:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
so is this done with the dr/developmental center?? I know vision is fine because he has glasses and gets eye exams often. But, How would I know if it was a processing issue that is not caused by lack of focus?
unless he’s had a thorough developmental vision exam with a trained vision therapist, I wouldn’t necessarily rule out vision issues based on the fat that he wears glasses. There are a lot of vision issues than can contribute to learning issues that aren’t about 20/20 vision.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics