Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Omicron Variant
1  2  Next

Now that vaccinated people are getting omicron:
We need a new vaccine which I will take despite getting vaccinated twice  
 8%  [ 10 ]
We need a new vaccine which I will take despite getting vaccinated three times  
 2%  [ 3 ]
We need a new vaccine which I will take even though I didnt vaccinate before  
 0%  [ 0 ]
We need a new vaccine which I will take even though I am vaccinated once (with the J&J vaccine)  
 0%  [ 0 ]
We do not need new vaccines, people should just get this one and the booster  
 16%  [ 18 ]
We do not need any vaccines, not a new one and not the old one  
 51%  [ 58 ]
I will never take any of these covid vaccines even if it means losing my job and house  
 20%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 112

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 10:55 am
It seems like the omicron variant of covid is specifically targeting vaccinated people with some people having three boosters already. The vaccine companies are already talking about coming out with a new vaccine which of course they stand to make billions of dollars so not sure if they are objective at this point. Will you take the new vaccine? Do you regret taking the current vaccine? Do you plan on taking the vaccine if you havent taken it already? Will you go for a booster? What do you think the next steps should be now that the new vaccine doesnt work for the new variant?

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 10:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It seems like the omricon variant of covid is specifically targeting vaccinated people with some people having three boosters already. The vaccine companies are already talking about coming out with a new vaccine which of course they stand to make billions of dollars so not sure if they are objective at this point. Will you take the new vaccine? Do you regret taking the current vaccine? Do you plan on taking the vaccine if you havent taken it already? Will you go for a booster? What do you think the next steps should be now that the new vaccine doesnt work for the new variant?

It's omicron

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 11:00 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It seems like the omicron variant of covid is specifically targeting vaccinated people with some people having three boosters already. The vaccine companies are already talking about coming out with a new vaccine which of course they stand to make billions of dollars so not sure if they are objective at this point. Will you take the new vaccine? Do you regret taking the current vaccine? Do you plan on taking the vaccine if you havent taken it already? Will you go for a booster? What do you think the next steps should be now that the new vaccine doesnt work for the new variant?

The data out of south africa is actually showing its mainly unvaccinated people who catch it...

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 11:07 am
amother [ Razzmatazz ] wrote:
The data out of south africa is actually showing its mainly unvaccinated people who catch it...

This isn't exactly true. Yes, a lot of kids have it and the kids here haven't been vaccinated. A lot of adults have it and nearly all have been vaccinated. I know people that had covid less than 6 months ago and are testing positive. But it's much much milder.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 11:07 am
I say who cares either way because the new variant, while more contagious, seems to also be more mild. The fear and hysteria being promoted is government grasping for the last straws of continued control, because really we should be treating this pandemic as over. The vaccines are there for those who want them. Effective treatments are available for those who get a really bad case. I'm not bothered by the vaccine companies making more to cover new variants. That's how the flu vaccines work, I always imagined that would eventually be the case for covid vaccines. I did get the vaccine, I will probably get the vaccine every year if that's what's needed. I also am against mandates, if you don't want the vaccine that should be your choice. My biggest concern about omicron is how governments around the world are using it to sow fear and panic and thus justify more restrictions and control.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 11:15 am
The doctors in South Africa are all seeing the same thing - and I've heard it from 2 doctors already. The strain is very, very mild. Some doctors are encouraging people not to test right away, give it a few days and if you are feeling better get back to life. Here if you test positive anyone you have been in contact with is supposed to go into isolation. So thousands and thousands are of people are in quarantine or isolation with mild flu symptoms like cold or headache. It's bordering on ludicrous.

There is absolutely no need for another vaccine. And yes, I have been vaccinated and am not anti vax. This strain is the mildest yet and by the time they develop the vaccine for it the next strain will hit the market BE"H it will even be milder.

Of course we could develop a new vaccine for every strain that comes out so Pfizer and Johnson stocks could keep going up but that would really be the only purpose.

DrMom

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 11:16 am
I don't understand how we can vote on this when the variant is still under investigation.

I need to understand (among other things) how lethal this variant is in order to formulate an informed opinion. So far, reports say it is pretty mild, which is promising. They also say that the standard vaccine provides ~80% protection. Meh -- if that is true AND the variant leads to very mild illness, I don't see the need to do anything.

challahchallah

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 11:18 am
I’m waiting for more data to come out in terms of the efficacy of the current vaccines on the omicron variant as well as other characteristics of the new variant. I’m not inherently opposed to taking an updated booster if one becomes available and recommended. That would take multiple months to happen though, so for now I think our best option is getting vaccinated and boosted with the current vaccines, obviously in combination with other preventative measures such as masking and distancing.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 11:35 am
I'll wait. If Omicron is both more contagious and milder, I'll take my chances of getting Covid and skip any more vaccines.

Chickensoupprof

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 2:51 pm
Here we go

amother
Tuberose

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 2:53 pm
If anyone thinks they will be hearing the truth from the government or the media...keep dreaming. Why are they rushing to vaccinate and push boosters when they don't even know if the vaccine works on this variant, or if this variant is even severe enough to warrant boosters?

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 6:53 pm
Vaccinated people got the delta too so I don't see why this omicron is different in terms of vaccination.

amother
Tuberose

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 7:00 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Vaccinated people got the delta too so I don't see why this omicron is different in terms of vaccination.

Because the delta variant was closer to the original variant so the vaccine was probably more effective for delta than it will be for omicron. And if many vaccinated people got the delta, there is probably a bigger chance that vaccinated people will get the omicron. But line up for your fourth booster....

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 7:06 pm
Variant shmariant. B"H here in my corner of FL it's almost as if Covid doesn't exist at all.

amother
Carnation

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 7:18 pm
The poll makes no sense because the question is not a matter of opinion.

Heyaaa

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 11:29 pm
You need one more option which I would vote for.

We need the vaccines that we have but only for people who are high risk.

imasinger

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 3:49 am
I'm beginning to see hope that omicron might be what we've all been waiting for.

A very mild, very contagious variant that will knock out the more lethal ones, and let the world truly go back to totally normal -- minus the huge cost we've already suffered economically, psychologically, educationally.

The numbers out of South Africa this far look very good. People are recovering without significant death rates. We'll have to see how things go, but another couple of weeks should give more data. It will take longer to see how this affects long Covid, but there's reason to think optimistically about the threat.

The next few months will then offer evidence as to whether all these rules are delighting the evil government, or whether they're happy to let go of restrictions, too.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 4:25 am
It really sounds like omicron may just be highly contagious snd mostly mild. Which would be great.

However, I would like more visibility to studies that highlight taking vitamin D. According to 100+ studies vitamin D levels pre-covid showed tremendous correlation to avoiding death.
Tests and vitamins are cheap. It’s something ppl trusts.
And if vitamin d isn’t the cure all I with other current ideas would be publicized.

Right now the vaccine is shown as the only choice when it just isn’t true.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 7:02 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:
Here we go

I love you chickensoupprof!

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 7:18 am
amother [ Carnation ] wrote:
The poll makes no sense because the question is not a matter of opinion.

It is an OPINION poll. Not a medical science poll.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics