Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Getting this off my chest

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 10:06 am
Feel free to weigh in if you want! Mostly I wanted to get this off my chest.
Husband and I are going to move We just had a baby, BH” and are going to need more space soon! Our options are between a very small community and a much larger frum community.
Small one: (pros)
-had one shul, we both like the rabbi and rebetzin
- is conservative enough for me and accepting enough for him (we have somewhat different practices , although we are both frum, obviously)
-subsides day school tuition
-helps families with loans to buy homes
-provides buses to two major day schools in the area
-much less expensive
-absolutely beautiful mikveh
Cons:
-VERY SMALL COMMUNITY- talking two or three other families with young children
-About thirty minute drive from nearest kosher grocery stores/restaurants/ schools

Larger community
Pros:
-Nearly every frum person in the state lives here!!!
- I have lots of friends / coworkers/ connections in the area
- there are blocks filled with frum families and my ideal is for my children to be able to go outside and play with other frum kids as much as possible which is the vibe I get from this neighborhood
- lots of parks filled with little Jewish kids playing all the time 😍. Makes my mommy/ morah heart melt

Cons:
-ITS SO EXPENSIVE . Part of me is more than willing to pay extra for my kids to be in the right kind of environment but if I can get a smaller but still lovely community for much less it’s hard for me to justify especially because we want lots of kids IYH and will have to pay for chinuch!

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 10:11 am
It sounds like you've really thought this through. The one piece you haven't shared is your income. Can you afford the larger community now? If not, will you likely be able to afford it in the future?

If you can afford the bigger community, then move there. If not, consider saving up for the move. You're not committed for life..

There is also the possibility that the small community may grow, in which case you will eventually have the best of both worlds.

amother
Steel

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 11:11 am
For me, the biggest factor is daycare and schooling. If the affordable community has a great school with warm teachers and adequate resources, then it's a no brainer for me

cupcake123

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 11:16 am
Wow hatzlacha with whatever desision you make!
I think you should look at the potential of the small community. Will it be growing? Stay the same ? If the community will grow and your just the pioneers I would go for it. But if it's been this small for a while and will stay small you need to make the desision...

seeker

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 12:14 pm
You just had your first baby? You have time. You can join the smaller community, maybe it will grow around you, maybe you will love it. If it stagnates and you still only have a couple of other families with children when your kid is old enough to know the difference, then you can move to a larger community at that time. Maybe there will even be more options at that time.

SG18

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 1:06 pm
I would go with the small community. Over the next few years, see how it changes. If you still want to move to the bigger one when your child is old enough to benefit from the pros, you'll have saved money during that time to offset the cost.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 1:14 pm
I think in your case, with just one baby I would do small community
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics