Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Arizona!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 11:32 am
Anyone currently living there, what is the Jewish community like and what part of Arizona do majority of Jews live in, is housing really affordable, what about schools for girls? Jobs?
We’re looking to relocate from the Tri state Area.

doctorima

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 11:45 am
I don't live there, but once spent a beautiful Shabbos there. Most Jews live in Phoenix. I got the sense that housing is reasonable, certainly if you're coming from the tri-state area. I believe the elementary school is Torah Day School, and there's a girl's high school called Shearim. There's also a mesivta for boys - Yeshiva High School. I don't know about jobs; I imagine it depends on your field.

The most important thing to know is that it's really hot!!! So make sure you're going to be okay with that.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, May 13 2019, 12:18 pm
I lived in Phoenix a few years ago and I miss it! It's a wonderful community, very friendly, with all hashkafot present on a small scale. Your family needs to find the right shule and then choose a close place to live. Because it gets to 115º on a regular basis in the summer, you shouldn't live more than 1/2 mile away. We rented a lovely apartment and its rent was reasonable. I didn't have school-age children, so I can't answer specifics. I know at the time there were a couple of elementary schools, but I'm not sure what's there currently.

shaimac1

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 4:38 pm
Hi, Rabbi Jeremy Rovinsky is very involved in the Phoenix Jewish Community! I would take a look at the OU Jewish Communites website and a link with their website should be there. If you need more feel free to PM me.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 4:54 pm
Phoenix and Scottsdale are the main Jewish communities. Phoenix has more frum families than Scottsdale, but is currently going through a lot of transitions with the shul and kollel. Scottsdale's shul and kollel are much more well-established.

Housing is probably a little higher in Scottsdale but you get more for your money (bigger and nicer homes). Houses in Phoenix are small. You can expect to spend $450-600k for a 2000 sq ft move in ready house. No basements!

Yes it's really hot for a good several months of the year. Not humid though.

Do you have kids? What genders/ages?

Happy to answer any questions.

PSmommy

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 6:18 pm
Bumping because I'm interested.
Does anyone here live in Arizona that can tell me more about it?

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 11:31 pm
What would you like to know about Arizona?

PSmommy

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 11:34 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
What would you like to know about Arizona?

Everything.

I live in Brooklyn but always considered myself out of town hoping to move out within the next few years.
Unfortunately NY is turning more and more into garbage by the day and I want to leave ASAP.
Is Arizona more free/red?
What are the communities like? We are litvish and my husband is yeshivish so would definitely need yeshivish people there, but not only.
I have so many more questions, whoever is interested and can answer...

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 4:00 pm
Phoenix is primarily made up of 3 communities.
Litvish
Chabad
Bucharian

There is a litvish school - Torah Day School. There is also a girls and boys high school.

Then chabad has their own school and then the is Phoenix Hebrew Academy- a bit more modern.

Ohr Torah- the main litvish shul just got a new building and is nicely renovated.

PSmommy

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 4:15 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
Phoenix is primarily made up of 3 communities.
Litvish
Chabad
Bucharian

There is a litvish school - Torah Day School. There is also a girls and boys high school.

Then chabad has their own school and then the is Phoenix Hebrew Academy- a bit more modern.

Ohr Torah- the main litvish shul just got a new building and is nicely renovated.

Thank you for the response.
Anything else you can tell me about the community?
My oldest is 2 so we do have some time before they start school BH.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 4:29 pm
Casa grande is new chassidish community. Super nice ppl.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 4:37 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Casa grande is new chassidish community. Super nice ppl.

I'd love to hear more about Casa Grande. Is it one specific chasidus? Very chasidish or more heimish? What are they doing for schools? Kosher food? Etc.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 9:06 pm
Ohr Torah has a dynamic new rabbi who's really great and people really like him and his family.

PSmommy

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 9:07 pm
amother [ Hydrangea ] wrote:
Ohr Torah has a dynamic new rabbi who's really great and people really like him and his family.

Thanx!
Do you live there by any chance?

PSmommy

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 10:30 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
I'd love to hear more about Casa Grande. Is it one specific chasidus? Very chasidish or more heimish? What are they doing for schools? Kosher food? Etc.

My friend that lives in Monroe (NY) just told me she knows people from Monroe are moving there, if that helps.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 12:11 am
Cada Granda is about an hour from Phoenix.
They have brought a few families to start a Kollel. There is a "school" primarily of 2-3 families.
They have a kosher store there or you can drive to Phoenix

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 12:31 am
Any Vaccine Mandates in AZ? Mask Mandates?

amother
Brass

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 12:50 am
#BestBubby wrote:
Any Vaccine Mandates in AZ? Mask Mandates?

I know they are very lenient with childhood vaccines. I know ppl looking into Phoenix specifically for this reason.

PSmommy

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 12:51 am
amother [ Brass ] wrote:
I know they are very lenient with childhood vaccines. I know ppl looking into Phoenix specifically for this reason.

How about Covid vaccines for everyone?

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 1:05 am
For vaccines, you can use any exemption.
Religious, medical etc.

You only need to wear a mask by the dr and banks.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating