Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How much should I ask for? Raise

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 11:28 am
I've been employed at my company for 2 years and four months. I have not yet received a raise or even a bonus. I kept excusing the lack of raise to covid and to my maternity leave a year ago but I'm starting to feel rather resentful. My company is doing well financially. It is a small, frum, family owned company.
How much of a raise can I ask for if I work up the courage to initiate a conversation?

amother
Strawberry

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 11:47 am
It’s unacceptable not get a raise for that long.

What are you making now? And what’s your position and hours?

amother
Lightgreen

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 11:48 am
If they would hire someone new to take your place, they'd definitely have to pay them significantly more because salaries went up so I would say you can definitely ask for at least a 10% raise, assuming you can show you're an asset to their business.

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 11:48 am
amother [ Strawberry ] wrote:

This, and I have a feeling that you will need to initiate every single time. Please don't let it go so long till your raise after this one. Right now you can ask for a bigger one because there was such a lapse. Bhatzlocha!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 11:54 am

I'm making $40,000 a year, salaried. I work for real estate company and sorta run the office but it's a small office, only 5-6 people and I'm the lowest ranking position. I work about 30 hours a week.

amother
Strawberry

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 12:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm making $40,000 a year, salaried. I work for real estate company and sorta run the office but it's a small office, only 5-6 people and I'm the lowest ranking position. I work about 30 hours a week.

With no raise for the past 2.5 years def ask for 6-10k.
That’s very small annual raises if broken down. I personally wouldn’t ask for an amount. I would go in and request a significant raise without giving them an amount. Give them the opportunity to give you even higher and if they don’t you can always counter.

I would start off with positive, thank them for the working environment and flexibility they offer..
Then state that you realize your value to the company and would like some growth. You can point out that costs have risen dramatically everywhere and you need your salary to reflect that.
And point out the length of time that you haven’t grown financially and ask them that the raise reflect that.

Don’t be scared. You work hard you deserve to be paid well.
40k was well paid 3 years ago. But you’ve established yourself in the company and should be receiving yearly raises. And I echo the other poster. Don’t let so much time lapse again before your next raise. Maybe even bring it up now that you would like to set up a structured raise system.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 12:16 pm
@strawberry thank you so much for your response and encouragement!
I have so much anxiety when it comes to confrontations even something like this where I know I'm right. I keep wondering if they will get mad. Not very logical though process.

amother
Strawberry

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 12:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have so much anxiety when it comes to confrontations even something like this where I know I'm right. I keep wondering if they will get mad. Not very logical though process.

My pleasure and I totally understand.

But break it down, if they get mad? Then what?
A) they have no reason to be mad. You enable their company to function thereby earning them money. You deserve to be compensated as such
B) it’s a hot employee market out there. Worst case scenario you’ll leave. Which I can’t imagine it’ll happen. They’re probably just waiting for you to ask

groovy1224

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 12:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

They won't get mad. It's a very normal acceptable thing for an employee to ask for a raise, especially when you've been there a while. Just keep it simple- you've been at the same salary for 2 years, and you feel that you deserve the increase. I think for your situation, you can ask for 15%. See if they go for it. If not, you can settle at 10%.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 4:44 pm
With no raise for the past 2.5 years def ask for 6-10k.
That’s very small annual raises if broken down. I personally wouldn’t ask for an amount. I would go in and request a significant raise without giving them an amount. Give them the opportunity to give you even higher and if they don’t you can always counter.

I would start off with positive, thank them for the working environment and flexibility they offer..
Then state that you realize your value to the company and would like some growth. You can point out that costs have risen dramatically everywhere and you need your salary to reflect that.
And point out the length of time that you haven’t grown financially and ask them that the raise reflect that.

Don’t be scared. You work hard you deserve to be paid well.
40k was well paid 3 years ago. But you’ve established yourself in the company and should be receiving yearly raises. And I echo the other poster. Don’t let so much time lapse again before your next raise. Maybe even bring it up now that you would like to set up a structured raise system.

I think this is very good advice. The only thing I would leave out is about prices rising everywhere. YOu have grounds for a generous raise without it and the less said the better so that the most important thing doesn't get lost.
Also, if prices rose everywhere, you may hear a counter that the company's expenses rose dramatically and they aren't doing so well...

amother
Lotus

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 5:38 pm
Always ask for a lot more than you think they will give so you can meet them in the middle...

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 5:40 pm
Definitely ask for a raise. If you come to them with gratitude and confidence, you have nothing to lose. Worse comes to worse, they'll only offer you a bit less of a raise you had in mind. You can always negotiate further once they get back to you with an amount, but I would recommend leaving out a specific number if possible so they can first come to you with what they had in mind. You can prepare some of your qualities and successes throughout the past couple of years and how you would love to continue to contribute to the success to the company but would also love to take a look at your current compensation. You can also mention that you feel you are more valuable to them now that you've been working there so long, know everything about the company, and contribute a lot with for ex. your great comunication skills, organizational skills, etc. Give tangible examples.

So, to sum up:

1) Start out with gratitude
2) Move into how you contributed to the company's success
3) You now add more value to the company and would like to take a look at your salary
4) End off with appreciation and excitement to see the company continue to grow and succeed

Good luck! Keep us posted.

amother
Steelblue

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 6:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It's very normal to have anxiety surrounding asking for a raise because it kind of defines our "worth" to a certain extent. Definitely go in very appreciative and confident and know in your own mind that you truly deserve one. Dont let them put you on the defensive about it because as others here said, you deserve a yearly raise, so this is long overdue. You can also say that you would like your salary to be brought up to current market value (research current salary for your job title + experience) and even print it out from Google/glassdoor etc Also Google things that managers will say when you ask for a raise so that you know what to answer. Keep your shoulders high and breathe and smile just stay confident. And daven before you go in too! Hashem holds the key to your parnasa. Imagine them as puppets while you ask with Hashem moving their mouth this way and that! Hatzlacha!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics