Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Give me chizuk to get rid of things!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Banana

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 9:15 pm
This thread reminded me I better get on cleaning my closet.
Does anyone want to pick up a bag of clothes (mostly skirts) sizes 0-10? (Yes, I was all these sizes in the last three years. )

Brooklyn.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 9:16 pm
but how is that practical for mothers who change weight. I gain, I get pregnant, I lose I gain some more... I don't want to get rid of clothing to just have to get new clothing. I don't wear trendy stuff.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 9:18 pm
seeker wrote:
Yes the size is close enough
that’s impressive! I’m 125 lbs size 4/6 yet No way I’d fit into clothing from 20 years ago! You’re shape changes!!

seeker

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 9:55 pm
My shape did change but many of my clothes weren't that fitted to begin with... I already got rid of the things that definitively will not fit anymore.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 10:05 pm
seeker wrote:
Ain't no gemach that wants clothes that went out of style 10 years ago. When I have something that I don't use but it's legit still good, I have an easier time giving it away if I can find someone who wants it.

I do hear the bitachon thing. Going to try to keep that in mind.

These are things that I already have a solid proven track record of NOT wearing even though I like to entertain the thought. I'm just not bold enough to wear something unique even if I happen to like it. In fact some of the things I'm thinking of shedding now are in that category - things I bought knowing that they are not what people are wearing but I wanted to do my own thing, except I'm too shy to go through with it.

There are charity dumpsters that sell shmata clothes to recyclers. Purple Heart will pick up those kinds of clothes for that purpose.

kenz

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 10:08 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Think of how happy you will be with an empty closet. I am in middle of cleaning my basement and each time I do one closet or corner, I fell so good afterwards. Do it, take a picture, and post it here. We will all cheer for you!

Today’s project:

I am so proud of myself!! You have no idea what it looked like before . 🤦‍♀️

Totally off topic, but I love your floor.

zaq

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 5:18 am
amother [ Snapdragon ] wrote:
but how is that practical for mothers who change weight. I gain, I get pregnant, I lose I gain some more... I don't want to get rid of clothing to just have to get new clothing. I don't wear trendy stuff.

OP obviously isn’t at that stage of life if she still has adult clothing from 30 years ago. You can’t or don’t want to clear out your closet, don’t. OP can, wants to, and is asking for help.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 5:29 am
If you don't save small sizes, then when you lose weight, you'll be able to reward yourself with new clothes.

ora_43

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 5:52 am
amother [ Snapdragon ] wrote:

I assume you mean the "if I haven't worn it in 12 months, I give it away" rule?

It's not practical if you're still doing the whole pregnancy, weight gain, weight loss, new pregnancy thing.

But it can be modified to, say, "if I didn't wear it during my last pregnancy..." or "if I didn't wear it while it fit (ie between last pregnancy and current)..."

The basic idea is to look at how much you actually use the item. As opposed to at how much value you think it has in theory, or how much you wish you had the guts to wear it, or whatever else.

amother
RosePink

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 6:03 am
I'm a horrible hoarder of clothes because I always feel there are memories attached to them. Like, oh, that shirt I was wearing the day before dd was born. Or, that skirt, I wore it when I first ever clapped my eyes on dh. So, if I throw them out, I feel I'm obliterating a piece of my life. I don't know how to overcome this.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 6:04 am
I get new stuff after a baby. My size is never the same.

My son is actually having a Tikun Olam week in school and they are taking old clothes to donate ect..
I have plenty to donate. I’m constantly clearing up because I have such a small space and I’m always changing sizes.

ora_43

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 6:14 am
Dh and I once did a major decluttering that included getting rid of a few pieces of furniture.

2-3 years later, we were in a new apartment, and one of those pieces of furniture would have been helpful. I kind of wished we still had it, because buying a new one would have cost around $300.

You know what I didn't wish, though? That I'd held onto half a room's worth of stuff for 3 years, moving it from one apartment to the next, dramatically reducing the amount of free space for my kids to play, just to save those $300.

Go ahead and get rid of things. Even if you do decide later that you want to replace them, the money you spend will be a good deal for the years of having less clutter.

It also helps to focus on the goal, ie, on the space itself, whatever you want to do with it (free it up for something else? make it look tidier?). When you think of the item you're giving away/throwing away, your brain switches to loss-prevention mode. When you think about the space, it's easier to avoid that.

Heyaaa

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 6:50 am
amother [ RosePink ] wrote:
I'm a horrible hoarder of clothes because I always feel there are memories attached to them. Like, oh, that shirt I was wearing the day before dd was born. Or, that skirt, I wore it when I first ever clapped my eyes on dh. So, if I throw them out, I feel I'm obliterating a piece of my life. I don't know how to overcome this.

Take a picture of all the items. Maybe even do a fun photoshop with them and then use snapfish to print out a book of it.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 7:06 am
kenz wrote:
Totally off topic, but I love your floor.

Thanks. We redid the basement about 1.5 years ago. Problem is, some of the tiles are peeling upwards a little. I’m not sure what to do about that.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 7:25 am
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
I will say that I personally have a hard time getting rid of things, but I can’t remember a time I ever regretted doing so. Once it’s gone you probably won’t miss it. Only hold onto it if it’s particularly sentimental.

I definitely do remember regretting giving away certain things that I could have used later. That's what makes it hard to declutter.

spikta

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 8:30 am
I find this easier to do when I think of my future self, or my kids, having to go through all this stuff years ahead and I weigh the extreme hassle of having to deal with rooms and rooms full of stuff that's been sitting around for decades, against the possible savings of a few dollars thanks to me saving ALL the things.
Downsizing and clearing out old junk takes days and days. Why would I want to saddle my future self with that burden? How about instead I fargin my future self with a 100$ mental gift card to go out and buy a new outfit when I need one? Yes, even if I may have owned something similar 20 years ago but I got rid of it. It's ok to get rid of items that don't serve you anymore. Owning, and storing, and going through, and feeling guilty about piles and piles of stuff that you don't use, but feel like you should, it's not free. It costs you in storage space, in time, in stress and bad feelings...

Make your best effort to find someone who can use it in some way, and then bid it goodbye. Every once in a while I realize I gave away something that I might have used, but that minor cost can't compare to the lightness you feel when you aren't weighed down by your possessions.

zaq

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 8:36 am
Just imagine yourself gone from this vale of tears after 120. Your dc and ddils wading through your closet and muttering “Why did she keep all this (expletive deleted)?”

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 8:46 am
zaq wrote:
Just imagine yourself gone from this vale of tears after 120. Your dc and ddils wading through your closet and muttering “Why did she keep all this (expletive deleted)?”

Swedish Death Cleaning. (Not that exciting a read, btw.)

singleagain

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 9:19 am
What helps me with my clothes, is asking a friend over to help me and she gets first pick of anything I don't want. Not facing it by myself and knowing that some stuff is going to someone who will use it, had helped me a lot.

cholentfan1

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 9:20 am
amother [ RosePink ] wrote:

Memory Patchwork quilt! You create a blanket or cushion using pieces of different materials that are meaningful to you and then you have all those memories preserved. I think there are even companies that will do it for you if you can't sew.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics