Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Mold Testing Brooklyn
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 12:30 am
I had some water damage in my house and want to test for mold. I called around several companies for quotes... The prices I got range from $130 up to $800. I'm not sure if the more expensive ones are necessarily better... How do I know??? I really need someone who will do a good job.

Also, some said they test the air and some said they use special cameras to check behind the walls. Which one is a better method?

Thanks.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 1:03 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I had some water damage in my house and want to test for mold. I called around several companies for quotes... The prices I got range from $130 up to $800. I'm not sure if the more expensive ones are necessarily better... How do I know??? I really need someone who will do a good job.

Also, some said they test the air and some said they use special cameras to check behind the walls. Which one is a better method?

Thanks.

They’re notoriously all thieves and they all do the remediation so you Weill always get them telling you yes of course it’s mold. I had experience with this. All thieves.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 11:12 am
amother [ DarkGreen ] wrote:
They’re notoriously all thieves and they all do the remediation so you Weill always get them telling you yes of course it’s mold. I had experience with this. All thieves.

Ok, so now I should stay in a moldy house because they're thieves?
There was bad water damage and a few family members are starting to display symptoms of mold exposure. I need this fixed ASAP.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 11:25 am
Go with the ones who use cameras behind the walls. Air testing is unreliable. You want hard evidence of mold so you can rip out the issue and resolve this quickly.

Word of advice, if you know where the water came from (and have fixed the issue permanently) and know where the water damage was, just go straight to demolition of the targeted spots (if there is more nearby, they will find it when they start).

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 11:34 am
ra_mom wrote:
Go with the ones who use cameras behind the walls. Air testing is unreliable. You want hard evidence of mold so you can rip out the issue and resolve this quickly.

Word of advice, if you know where the water came from (and have fixed the issue permanently) and know where the water damage was, just go straight to demolition of the targeted spots (if there is more nearby, they will find it when they start).

Thank you so much.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 11:36 am
amother [ DarkGreen ] wrote:

Some of them actually told me it's not legal to do both testing and remediation in NYS. So why would they try to tell me there's mold?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 11:37 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Some of them actually told me it's not legal to do both testing and remediation in NYS. So why would they try to tell me there's mold?

Although I did call some other places who told me they do both... So I guess some people get away with it.

Amarante

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 12:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I had to test for asbestos and it is also a law that the company that tests can't do the remediation.

Ethical appraisers will not purchase items they have assessed.

Did you check with your insurance company because depending on how the water intrusion occurred, it is often covered by insurance.

amother
Eggplant

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 2:03 pm
Can you have mold after water damage if it doesn't smell?

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 2:31 pm
They aren’t all thieves but you need to be informed. You can start by running an ERMI yourself. You basically swab the dust in different areas of your house and send them to be analyzed for mycotoxins

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 3:35 pm
amother [ Eggplant ] wrote:
Can you have mold after water damage if it doesn't smell?

I believe you could, especially if it's inside a wall/celling, but not sure. Can anyone confirm?

BP88

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 6:32 pm
Mold in your home is fungus in your home.
Please remove it professionally for your own sake, especially if you own your house.

If u want a reliable recommendation for an inspection u can pm me, I was really happy with the company I used.

Rivky

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 6:44 pm
I was really happy with the company I used too. Very honest and reliable. I'd highly recommend.

amother
Eggplant

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 6:50 pm
BP88 wrote:
Mold in your home is fungus in your home.
Please remove it professionally for your own sake, especially if you own your house.

If u want a reliable recommendation for an inspection u can pm me, I was really happy with the company I used.

How much did they charge to check if you have mold?

amother
Eggplant

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 6:50 pm
Rivky wrote:
I was really happy with the company I used too. Very honest and reliable. I'd highly recommend.

Rivky

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 7:49 pm
I paid $350. Which gets deducted if they end up doing the mold removal

BP88

Post Mon, Dec 06 2021, 8:54 pm
amother [ Eggplant ] wrote:

I paid 399

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 1:07 am
my clothing, shoes and lots of other stuff that I kept in my walk-in closet were full of mold. called a few "professional mold companies" to figure it out. non were able to give a decent answer. they check with camera behind walls , which at certain spots showed dampness. but when wall was cut open it was dry and clear. did air testing too but didnt get any smarter. so I must agree with above posters who claim theyre taking advantage and maybe call them theives.
only thing that helped me was buying a dehumidifier. and that whats keeping closet clear.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 11:37 am
amother [ DarkMagenta ] wrote:
my clothing, shoes and lots of other stuff that I kept in my walk-in closet were full of mold. called a few "professional mold companies" to figure it out. non were able to give a decent answer. they check with camera behind walls , which at certain spots showed dampness. but when wall was cut open it was dry and clear. did air testing too but didnt get any smarter. so I must agree with above posters who claim theyre taking advantage and maybe call them theives.
only thing that helped me was buying a dehumidifier. and that whats keeping closet clear.

What?

Why would there be mold in my clothing?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 11:40 am
amother [ DarkMagenta ] wrote:

I hate to say this, but the posters who are saying that the companies are thieves are being the opposite of helpful. I'm dealing with a situation where mold is highly likely, and suffering from health symptoms which are very possibly related. If they are all thieves, exactly are they suggesting I do?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries