Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
ISO toddler safety locks for doors and drawers

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 10:41 am
What easy to install safety locks do you use on doors and drawers in your house? I'm late to the party because toddler already has their hands in everything. I'm not in the US, but may still be able to buy stuff on Amazon or our local Ikea, so please send your best recommendations!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 11:44 am
Bump

mom!

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 12:57 pm
The push down locks that are placed inside the doors.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 12:58 pm
mom! wrote:
The push down locks that are placed inside the doors.

. Do you have the name of a company or brand?

momandteacher

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 1:00 pm
I love the magnetic locks. They go inside the door, so you don't see anything from the outside. And much harder for kids to figure out, which will eventually happen with most others.
I have these. They're not currently available, but there are tons of others that are similar.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....8fef3

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 6:21 pm
momandteacher wrote:
I love the magnetic locks. They go inside the door, so you don't see anything from the outside. And much harder for kids to figure out, which will eventually happen with most others.
I have these. They're not currently available, but there are tons of others that are similar.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....8fef3

Thank you! I've seen some in my country that I think I'll order. Are the "keys" annoying to use? Where do you keep them so they don't get lost?

challahchallah

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 6:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you! I've seen some in my country that I think I'll order. Are the "keys" annoying to use? Where do you keep them so they don't get lost?

I love the magnetic locks too. They’re more secure than others because kids need to both know how to use them and get access to the keys. We have the Safety 1st brand.

We keep keys stuck to something out of reach. In the kitchen we stick it high up on the fridge or freezer. In other rooms we stick it to the mounting screw of an outlet or light switch that’s too high for a kid to reach. You could probably put a screw in the wall explicitly for this purpose if you wanted or needed to.

momandteacher

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 2:11 am
challahchallah wrote:
I love the magnetic locks too. They’re more secure than others because kids need to both know how to use them and get access to the keys. We have the Safety 1st brand.

We keep keys stuck to something out of reach. In the kitchen we stick it high up on the fridge or freezer. In other rooms we stick it to the mounting screw of an outlet or light switch that’s too high for a kid to reach. You could probably put a screw in the wall explicitly for this purpose if you wanted or needed to.

They are extremely easy to use. The only problem is that it does get tedious to always have to reach for a key in order to open a cabinet, but I got used to it, and I consider it worth it to keep the cabinets inaccessible to the little ones. Also, you can very easily keep the lock unlocked by flicking a small piece, like let's say when they are asleep.
I also keep one on the freezer and others on the screw of light switch covers. The set I have also comes with a small magnetic base that can be mounted anywhere else (I put a second one on the other side of the kitchen, on the backsplash, so I don't always have to trek across to the freezer).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics