Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
My baby is sick for 2.5 months straight help
Previous  1  2

gold21

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 9:44 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for all the validation!
I agree she's probably getting a lot of it from her babysitter but what are my options exactly? I need to work so she can have diapers and food and clothing and she needs to go to the babysitter so I can work. Such is life in 2021. 😳

Her babysitter is a relatively smallish group (6-7 kids) although her morah is super chilled and probably not so clean.
Do you think it will help to keep her home an additional few days even after the Coxsackie goes away? (More time off help)
Also, she catches whatever my 3yr old has very hard to keep them completely apart.

There are no drops or vitamins to give her?

Drops & vitamins can help boost her immune system, so it's worth a try, but the bottom problem is that she's being over-exposed to germs. It sucks, but the truth sucks sometimes.

Is there no other group babysitter you can look into?

What is your babysitter's sick policy? Does she allow babies with obvious viral symptoms (aside from the run-of-the-mill runny nose/congestion) to come to daycare? If other parents are being negligent, the babysitter should try to institute some health & safety precautions. Maybe discuss the situation with the babysitter and get her input.

What do you pay per hour? In-home daycare can be very cost-effective if you share with one other family.

amother
Seablue

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 1:06 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:

Just today I was reminiscing about the lockdown months when none of my kids got sick the whole time!

Umm, no.
Lockdowns LOWER your immune system in the long run (think "Bubble Boy") and make you more susceptible to illnesses further down the road. It is annoying but healthy for children to be exposed to mild viruses.

OP, are you giving your baby any vitamin drops? Try Vitamin D and C; they come in liquid drops for infants. There is also elderberry powder supplements that you can add to formula. Refuah Shleimah and Hatzlacha!

octopus

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 1:10 pm
amother [ Seablue ] wrote:
Umm, no.
Lockdowns LOWER your immune system in the long run (think "Bubble Boy") and make you more susceptible to illnesses further down the road. It is annoying but healthy for children to be exposed to mild viruses.

OP, are you giving your baby any vitamin drops? Try Vitamin D and C; they come in liquid drops for infants. There is also elderberry powder supplements that you can add to formula. Refuah Shleimah and Hatzlacha!

9 month olds don't have much of an immune system. By four it's much much more developed. Most of the posters on here talk about their 2 and 3 year olds being nonstop sick. This is a baby below the age of 1. Big difference.

amother
Seablue

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 1:17 pm
octopus wrote:
9 month olds don't have much of an immune system. By four it's much much more developed. Most of the posters on here talk about their 2 and 3 year olds being nonstop sick. This is a baby below the age of 1. Big difference.

That's my point. At 9 months, a baby is BUILDING their immune system by being exposed to germs and viruses.

octopus

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 1:40 pm
That's my point. At 9 months, a baby is BUILDING their immune system by being exposed to germs and viruses.

No, they build their immune system by being exposed to regular day life. It's normal to get sick once in a while at that age. If it's constant sickness one has to reevaluate the situation.

SG18

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 2:04 pm
This doesn't sound normal at all. My 7 month old has been sick once (in addition to teething related cold symptoms). We spend time with different people, other babies, take public transportation, and we're not neurotic about hygiene. I would look into switching daycares. I know of a few options in different areas, if you feel comfortable sharing your general location.

mommyhood

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 2:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Meaning? She's with another 5 babies, not crazy huge group.
What makes you think there are more germs at this babysitter that any other?
Aside from a private one at my house which isn't affordable.

I wouldn't feel bad about the group babysitter. A private nanny might decrease some germs but since you have older kids she will just catch things from them.

amother
Anemone

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 2:22 pm
A decent percent ofpeople of european decent have low IGG. These people are more likely to get sick, have allergies and asthma, and a variety of other issues. It is also not healthy to give these people immune boosters because they are more likely to have autoimmune issues. You child may have it and that woudl explain constant colds. It is also part of building a child's immune system for them to get sick when they are small. Refuah shalaima.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 5:47 pm
look into what is in breast milk. There is a good formula recipe from Dr. Price foundation which includes goat milk, molasses, cod liver oil containing many of the nutrients.

Your baby probably needs to build her immune system.
vitamin d and k2 from cod liver oil
healthy fats from goat milk
molasses contains many minerals
so it's a good place to start with a really good formula

look for a good prebiotic/probiotic
hatzlocha

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 5:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for all the validation!
I agree she's probably getting a lot of it from her babysitter but what are my options exactly? I need to work so she can have diapers and food and clothing and she needs to go to the babysitter so I can work. Such is life in 2021. 😳

Her babysitter is a relatively smallish group (6-7 kids) although her morah is super chilled and probably not so clean.
Do you think it will help to keep her home an additional few days even after the Coxsackie goes away? (More time off help)
Also, she catches whatever my 3yr old has very hard to keep them completely apart.

There are no drops or vitamins to give her?

The first year or two are the worst....kids in childcare experience it younger, kids who are home until kindergarten experience it then. I had a really rough year with one of mine their first year. The good news was, after that year it was MUCH MUCH easier.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 5:57 pm
I found that the first year of my childs life theyre sick with viruses and ear infections and then after that not so much. BH bli ayan hora my kids are rarely ever sick (and I never nursed)
during lockdown there was not a single cold in my house but as soon as we went out and back to regular life my son got a terrible cold from being exposed to all the germs at the babysitter

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 6:12 pm
delete

amother
Tomato

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 8:43 pm
SG18 wrote:
This doesn't sound normal at all. My 7 month old has been sick once (in addition to teething related cold symptoms). We spend time with different people, other babies, take public transportation, and we're not neurotic about hygiene. I would look into switching daycares. I know of a few options in different areas, if you feel comfortable sharing your general location.

It may not be "normal" but it does happen with some kids...my 6 month old is sick for 6 weeks and had been home the whole time (besides for when she was hospitalized for high fever). We did a ton of bloodwork and testing and bH it's just a cold, virus etc.
Spending time with other babies is not comparable to a daycare setting.
For most pple who work a private babysitter is unaffordable and even a small daycare (like where I and OP send) has a ton of germs. (Same lady holding and feeding all the kids, same floor and toys...even if you sanitize regularly kids this age put everything in their mouth and drool)
Also, My baby has siblings at home who keep reinfecting her... it's not always the specific daycare to blame.
My pediatrician told me to keep her home for at least a month once she is better to give her immune system time to strengthen.
So although it's not "normal" it's the difficult reality for some of us bit not necessarily worrisome.

gold21

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 12:56 am

There's a difference between normal exposure and over-exposure.....
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics