Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Ordering private items on amazon

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 4:23 am
My kids use my Amazon account all the time. They have been for years. They always ask me before ordering something and it usually on my directive. Recently I was to order a personal item which Would be totally inappropriate for my kids to know about, was about to make the order and then froze. I realized that if my kids go through the order history or look for an item they are waiting for, they will find it. So I didn’t order it. (And am now paranoid that since I searched and clicked on the item, it may pop up somewhere.) I can’t be the only person in this situation. Does anyone have a solution?

amotherof3

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 4:26 am
Yes, once you order the item, you can archive the order (from your desktop computer). Google how to do it - it’s quite easy.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 5:21 am
You make a new Amazon account and order it from there. Most things will ship free even if you don’t have a subscription.

singleagain

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 5:32 am
SuperWify wrote:
You make a new Amazon account and order it from there. Most things will ship free even if you don’t have a subscription.

You can tie your new Amazon account to the old one so you still get all the prime benefits.

amother
Raspberry

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 6:52 am
I think you can set up different accounts in your household so that you can have your own account that is separate to your children's.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 7:22 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My kids use my Amazon account all the time. They have been for years. They always ask me before ordering something and it usually on my directive. Recently I was to order a personal item which Would be totally inappropriate for my kids to know about, was about to make the order and then froze. I realized that if my kids go through the order history or look for an item they are waiting for, they will find it. So I didn’t order it. (And am now paranoid that since I searched and clicked on the item, it may pop up somewhere.) I can’t be the only person in this situation. Does anyone have a solution?

Also make sure to remove it from your amazon browsing history

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 7:42 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Also make sure to remove it from your amazon browsing history

How do you do that?

miami85

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 9:00 am
SuperWify wrote:

There's a way to do it from your own Prime account even. I think you can have 5 accounts per household. My husband has one and this way he can order gifts for me with out me knowing and he has his own kindle account so his kindle doesn't affect mine.

amother
Burntblack

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 9:04 am
just dont order it from walmart they sometimes deliver items in an open bag or not even in a bag at all!

Simple1

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 9:22 am
amotherof3 wrote:
Yes, once you order the item, you can archive the order (from your desktop computer). Google how to do it - it’s quite easy.

It will still show up in the order history. I found that out after I archived some orders to keep Chanukah gifts a surprise, but they saw it when they checked the order history.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 4:58 pm
Simple1 wrote:
It will still show up in the order history. I found that out after I archived some orders to keep Chanukah gifts a surprise, but they saw it when they checked the order history.

This is what I’m worried about. That I’m going to try one of these tricks but the item will still be found. And the browsing history scares the living daylights out of me. I wish I could just change the password and call it a day but my kids (especially the in-law ones) will think I’m some witch. (Until they get to the point in their lives where their kids are using their accounts and they would like to order an item that their kids should not know about…)
Probably opening another (non prime) account is the safest.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 5:02 pm
Clearing the browsing history is easy. Google for instructions. But you need to open your own account and share your main accounts prime benefits with the new account. Leave the main account for the kids.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 5:07 pm
I have the same issue, op.
I can’t order anything personal anymore. My kids use my Amazon account often. I also can’t even search for items I don’t want my kids to know I searched for.
Before my teenage daughter went to camp I needed to order a certain bra for her that only amazon carried. I didn’t want my boys to see. At the end I ordered it anyway. I also ordered pads for her. I was very uncomfortable about my big boys and little girls noticing. No one said anything but I really think twice before ordering now. Obviously there are things way more personal that I can’t even order.
I crave my privacy. It’s hard when I don’t have it.

amother
Forsythia

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 6:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Besides for the order history, Amazon displays your recent searches on the homepage. To counter this, just do a good many mundane searches to remove this from the recent ones.

I echo the others, give your kids their own account.

singleagain

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 7:30 pm
https://www.amazon.com/manage-.....files

This is the link to manage your profiles You can even make a separate one for your kids so that way they can't see certain items and stuff like that

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 7:45 pm
singleagain wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/manage-your-profiles/home?ref_=ya_manage_your_profiles

This is the link to manage your profiles You can even make a separate one for your kids so that way they can't see certain items and stuff like that

Thank you. That is helpful. Only issue is not wanting to pay for prime 2x. But it’s definitely good to have this as a backup for personal things.

singleagain

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 8:26 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Thank you. That is helpful. Only issue is not wanting to pay for prime 2x. But it’s definitely good to have this as a backup for personal things.

the whole point is that you don't. Since I discovered this I have had Amazon prime on behalf of my father. I've never paid for it. I get it bc my dad and I share it

singleagain

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 8:27 pm
https://www.amazon.com/myh/manage?ref=myp

He this link is the better one

amother
Cognac

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 8:30 pm
(from a computer browser) put your mouse over browing history (upper left, right under the prime symbol)
click review and edit. You'll see your browsing history, and you can delete the private items.
Archived order will come up when someone does a search in order history. I don't think there's any way around that. But that's only if someone does a search for that item or something with the same name. Not sure if it's safe enough.
We have a shared family account, and I often remove items from browsing history, and also archive items, but usually it's for stuff like undergarments and hygiene items. Not the end of the world if someone sees it, but I'm not looking to advertise it to my brothers and brothers-in-law.
Like someone else said, you can open another amazon account without prime, and many items ship for free anyway. I've done that too in the past for lingerie.

essie14

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 9:06 pm
We have Amazon household or something like that. My kids use one Amazon account and I use another and we share the prime benefits.
They can't see anything I buy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics