Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Organization Dinner at Extremely Posh restaurant/UPDATE
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Amarante

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 10:05 am
amother [ Melon ] wrote:
They're wrong. Cocktail does NOT mean "black." Cocktail dresses can come in any color. Although, in their defense, they may mean that in their communities, cocktail dresses are invariably black. Your husband should, of course, wear a dark suit; gray or blue are fine.

With the right skirt, and the right jewelry, the black top could definitely be cocktail attire. But from what you said, it doesn't quite match the skirt, so its going to look off.

I agree that a cocktail dress can come in many colors including gold or silver.

However many people buy black cocktail dresses because they can be dressed up or down and so you can wear the same dress for multiple occasions for many years.

This is especially true if one has a lifestyle where one is going to events that require a cocktail dress often. Many women would rather buy one expensive flattering "black" dress and then use different accessories.

Here is Audrey Hepburn in the quintessential little black cocktail dress designed by Givenchy in 1961 for the classic Breakfast at Tiffanys. If this dress doesn't define classic, I am not sure what would. Very Happy

Obviously not recommending this style but just illustrating why many women get black cocktail dresses

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 11:38 am
Amarante wrote:
I agree that a cocktail dress can come in many colors including gold or silver.

However many people buy black cocktail dresses because they can be dressed up or down and so you can wear the same dress for multiple occasions for many years.

This is especially true if one has a lifestyle where one is going to events that require a cocktail dress often. Many women would rather buy one expensive flattering "black" dress and then use different accessories.

Here is Audrey Hepburn in the quintessential little black cocktail dress designed by Givenchy in 1961 for the classic Breakfast at Tiffanys. If this dress doesn't define classic, I am not sure what would. Very Happy

Obviously not recommending this style but just illustrating why many women get black cocktail dresses

Lol
I would wear this dress with a shell under
Absolutely adore her movie wardrobe
The gown in My Fair Lady OMG!!!!

Getting back to me
I actually tried on the black top and skirt
And also the exact jewelry and shoes and it looks fantastic
IMHO- very appropriate

Thanks everyone for or your help

amother
Ballota

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 11:55 am
Disclaimer, I did not read all the replies. I did read the first page and I read your descriptions of the event. As a fellow out of towner, dressing up like for a wedding with a long cocktail dress would be bizarre, really not appropriate for this occasion. (Most of these replies are probably coming from NY/NJ area. Norms are very different, in general much much fancier, in that neck of the woods.)
I think if the leopard dress fits you well and you like it, go for that. Get your sheitel done and wear nice makeup. Heels if you usually wear. If not, shabbos flats. Done.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 8:30 pm
Please let us know how it works out.

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 8:47 pm
have been to many fancy upscale venues and want to reiterate the above that long cocktail gowns are not done unless it is someone in a wedding party.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 7:38 pm
I’m here at the event
Completely over dressed
I think if I would have worn my simplest Shabbat outfit I would have been over dressed

amother
Snow

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 8:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m here at the event
Completely over dressed
I think if I would have worn my simplest Shabbat outfit I would have been over dressed

I'm sorry Sad
On the bright side, I'm sure you look amazing. Tischadshi, may you wear your top in good health to simchas.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 8:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m here at the event
Completely over dressed

I'm sure you look amazing. Enjoy the event!

tigerwife

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 8:21 pm
I always prefer to err on the side of being overdressed than underdressed. Just enjoy looking beautiful! Have a wonderful evening and congratulations on your husband’s honor.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 9:38 pm
Many are in jeans or jean skirts and a jacketb

nicole81

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 9:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Many are in jeans or jean skirts and a jacketb

And they're clueless as to what cocktail attire is. Your husband is the honoree; you're meant to look fabulous. Just rock it.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 9:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m here at the event
Completely over dressed

What did you end up wearing?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 10:00 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
What did you end up wearing?

B”H I wore the black top and skirt

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 11:01 pm
So weird that people are wearing denim! That’s not cocktail attire at all. I guess it’s veeeery OOT - yeehaw! 🤠

(Just kidding btw - as a fellow OOTer!)

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 1:00 am
Oh well... It will make a funny story one day! Cheers

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 8:20 am
It was a “hip” crowd not Yeshivish at all
They wanted a “cool” vibe
I guess I didn’t get the memo
I should have realized by the venue

causemommysaid

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 8:26 am
So odd. Who wears jeans to a cocktail party?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 9:59 am
causemommysaid wrote:
So odd. Who wears jeans to a cocktail party?

That’s why in the beginning I said that it was a nice way to say we are not serving food
And they literally did not
There was sushi station and the same sushi pass around
A snack station where they had Asian rice cracker mix in little take out food containers
And an open bar
Couches were set up like a club
I really didn’t expect this from an organization but maybe I’m very old fashioned

Any way this is what I wore
https://I.imgur.com/DhP02B7.jpg

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 10:40 am
The good news is, you looked great!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 11:17 am
ra_mom wrote:
The good news is, you looked great!

I felt like Audrey Hepburn lol
I did my make up, got my Sheitel done in a new style
Put on my best jewelry
Even got my nails and eyebrows done

I lost a considerable amount of weight and loved the fact that I fit into that skirt
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics