Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
HELP!!! Diabetes …. UPDATE
Previous  1  2

dankbar

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 11:41 pm
amother [ Lightblue ] wrote:
These suggestions are not good, sorry.
My husband was also just diagnosed with diabetes and has high cholesterol that he needs to watch.
So he cant have steak, or burgers or eggs only whites no cheese Peanut butter a drop..

Any other suggestions with no sugar and no cholesterol?

Tried & true by yours truly. All my numbers on bloodwork improved with such a diet. I even went to a cardiologist. Guess what? He didn't say to cut out steak & eggs but cut the carbs. This is the killer that brings on heart disease & stroke.
My triglycerides slashed to 1/2 after 3 months & to 1/4 after 6 months, yes with eating tons of eggs. My cholesterol went down too.

honeymoon

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 12:03 am
dankbar wrote:
Tried & true by yours truly. All my numbers on bloodwork improved with such a diet. I even went to a cardiologist. Guess what? He didn't say to cut out steak & eggs but cut the carbs. This is the killer that brings on heart disease & stroke.
My triglycerides slashed to 1/2 after 3 months & to 1/4 after 6 months, yes with eating tons of eggs. My cholesterol went down too.

This. Good for you for taking charge of your health. Fats are not the killer. Carbs are.

You mentioned bread earlier. Did you cut out carbs completely or just limit it?

amother
Butterscotch

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 7:17 am
I am a recently diagnosed diabetic, and I empathize with both your husband and you. The good news is that he can get a handle on this, but it takes a lot of effort and willpower. You don’t mention if your husband is on meds or insulin for this, or if he takes his blood sugar regularly. Or if he hopes to get this under control and be off all meds one day. For myself, taking my blood sugar keeps me on track. You have immediate feedback as to how your body reacts to certain foods, and as things improve it makes you more motivated to stay on track. My doctor gave me guidance as to how many carbs per meal and for snacks I should eat, and then the choice was mine as to how to spend them. I will not lie. It’s been a few months and it’s still very hard to cut out basically everything I was eating before-tons of carbs, lots of it garbage. But my A1C came down from 12.9 to the high 7s, so my work is paying off. As for the high cholesterol, that can come down with the A1C, and most doctors will offer medication for the high cholesterol so that a highly restricted diet doesn’t become even more restricted. Yes, major changes are needed but attempting too much and giving portions that are too small might not be so realistic in the beginning. You can certainly pm me for more food ideas. I get being a concerned spouse and wanting to assist your husband on this journey. But he really needs to be on board and take ownership in some way. Even if it means that he makes the shopping list of things he’s going to be eating. Or taking his blood sugar. (Also, maybe find a different diabetes educator, because this one sounds a bit too restrictive.)

amother
Lightpink

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 7:40 am
Incorporate APPLE CIDER VINEGAR-
I know someone that drastically lowered their A1C from 8.7 to 5.2 in3 months
He did eat low carb, but wasn’t so careful
But what he did every morning and every evening without fail was a shot of apple cider vinegar
There are also pills, but I’m not sure how that works

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 10:05 am
I think I am the op of this thread. Dh cut carbs drastically and almost completely. His A1c went from 12 to 5.2 or thereabouts. Cholesterol is fine and I think he no longer takes meds for that. He no longer needs to check blood sugar levels everyday but still does on occasion (usually if he’s not feeling well to make sure it’s not sugar related)

What he eats? Greek yogurts, tuna, eggs, chicken, some fish and meat. Avocado. Veggies. Cooked and raw.
He does eat some carbs on Shabbos. Small amounts. He’s doing well so not eliminating that now.

I still look for new ideas all the time. It’s hard because cookbooks and magazines are full of sugar and sauces.

If anyone has recipes for sauces to serve over chicken or veggies I’d love some!!!

amother
Zinnia

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 10:11 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I think I am the op of this thread. Dh cut carbs drastically and almost completely. His A1c went from 12 to 5.2 or thereabouts. Cholesterol is fine and I think he no longer takes meds for that. He no longer needs to check blood sugar levels everyday but still does on occasion (usually if he’s not feeling well to make sure it’s not sugar related)

What he eats? Greek yogurts, tuna, eggs, chicken, some fish and meat. Avocado. Veggies. Cooked and raw.
He does eat some carbs on Shabbos. Small amounts. He’s doing well so not eliminating that now.

I still look for new ideas all the time. It’s hard because cookbooks and magazines are full of sugar and sauces.

If anyone has recipes for sauces to serve over chicken or veggies I’d love some!!!

do you do shnitzel with cornflake crumbs?
chicken fajita
honey chicken (does he eat honey?)
spiced chicken
unbreaded eggplant parmesan

I use fake sugar instead of real sugar for lots of stuff.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 10:26 am
amother [ Zinnia ] wrote:
do you do shnitzel with cornflake crumbs?
chicken fajita
honey chicken (does he eat honey?)
spiced chicken
unbreaded eggplant parmesan

I use fake sugar instead of real sugar for lots of stuff.

Cornflakes is carb so no cornflakes
No honey.

amother
Chicory

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 10:42 am
What about subbing splenda/xylitol for sugar in sauces?

honeymoon

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 11:57 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

He seems to be eating well. Greek yogurts can have lots of sugar, so if he isn't eating the plain yogurt I would suggest cutting that out.

amother
Lightpink

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 1:37 pm
Occasionally I pour some WaldenFarms honey balsamic dressing and bake chicken. I’ve tried other WF dressings but so far my husband likes this one

I like spreading some harissa on chicken wings, a small amount is not too spicy

Mina Tanguine sauce is also great. I use it on roasts and Flanken- any meat that required slow cooking.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 7:52 pm
amother [ Lightblue ] wrote:
Sounds interesting, I will look into it.
Can you post a weekly sample menu.
So I can get some ideas.
Thanks.

So for breakfast I'll have old fashioned oats with frozen banana, or overnight oats, can be also quinoa with veggies...
I make a few different soups (mushroom barley, tomato corn, lentil, veggie) I make a chili for Shabbos day and have the leftovers with brown rice/quinoa throughout the week for a lunch/dinner.
I do not count any carbs. I eat till I'm full. Very different approach than regular Drs approach.
Also, look to The Starch Solution.
I also ordered some cookbooks on Amazon for WFPB(whole food plant based). I make a delicious dessert which my kids are crazy about, chocolate peanut butter fudge (all healthy, no sugar). I stopped making it bc I was cutting back on nuts and fats up lose weight but plan on starting to make it as a dessert for Shabbos soon bc I can start reintroducing healthy fats now...
Hatzlacha!! This is not an easy thing to do but SO worth it. Whatever you choose to do for your husband, he should be successful be'H.

dankbar

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 8:35 pm
honeymoon wrote:
This. Good for you for taking charge of your health. Fats are not the killer. Carbs are.

You mentioned bread earlier. Did you cut out carbs completely or just limit it?

Very low carb like 1slice of ww bread per day. Only little carbs by each meal. This was the plan I followed. Similar to an Atkins.

Now I should really get back to it because when I don't follow my numbers go bad again.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 09 2021, 12:04 am
honeymoon wrote:
He seems to be eating well. Greek yogurts can have lots of sugar, so if he isn't eating the plain yogurt I would suggest cutting that out.

His numbers are good so it’s working fine
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics