Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Am I normal?
Previous  1  2

NotLazySusan

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 8:23 pm
amother [ Tiffanyblue ] wrote:
I play it on the radio in my car.

Me too! Thanksgiving to New year's I listen to 106.7 FM

grace413

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 8:24 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
No they most definitely do not play those tunes here! Not in the groceries nor the mall. I remember being shocked at one store in the mall last year that had some green and red decorations. But that is literally all I've ever seen here.

BH a thousand times for this. I think Frantic Frummie was referring to her pre-aliyah life.

I am currently in the States. Flew from Chicago to Fort Lauderdale the other day - don't remember hearing anything in Chicago but as soon as I entered the FLL airport it was loud and pervasive. I don't begrudge anyone their holiday but I hate being even passively involved.

yiddishmom

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 8:34 pm
I think it's normal environmental influence, but wrong.

And I'm sorry that so many Jewish women listen to those songs and/ or incorporate it in to their Jewish songs.

It's Christianity = tumah.

zaq

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 8:52 pm
Yiddishmom, you would be very surprised to know the origins of many popular zemiros tunes.

IMO converting a nonjewish melody to a Jewish song is no different from buying a church and converting it to a shul. If I have to hear that music all month long I may as well do something constructive with it.

amother
Daylily

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 8:55 pm
They also get stuck in my head. I currently trying to stop singing ark the herald Angel sing glory to the new born king as the lyrics are really not OK!

yiddishmom

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 9:03 pm
zaq wrote:
Yiddishmom, you would be very surprised to know the origins of many popular zemiros tunes.

IMO converting a nonjewish melody to a Jewish song is no different from buying a church and converting it to a shul. If I have to hear that music all month long I may as well do something constructive with it.

I agree with you, and am aware about this.

Somehow, here it seems different.

I think women are enchanted with the whole x-mas vibe, and are finding a way to incorporated it into their lives. Just feels wrong.

I think after being in galus for so many hundreds of years, we lost that natural disgust we should have towards other religions.

But maybe using tunes for our zemiros is not wrong. Listening to their songs is definitely wrong. It's just another sign, among the many others, of how long we are in golus already.

May HKBH save us all and bring the final geulah.

amother
Jean

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 10:01 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I avoid malls at all costs this time of year - for the exact same reason. embarrassed

B'H for online shopping!

wait in Israel they play x-mas songs? didn't realize

amother
Jean

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 10:04 pm
I heard Rabbi Kelemen speak about the origins of x-mas, it created such a strong disgust in me towards the holidays, it's a must hear

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 10:26 pm
yiddishmom wrote:
I think it's normal environmental influence, but wrong.

And I'm sorry that so many Jewish women listen to those songs and/ or incorporate it in to their Jewish songs.

It's Christianity = tumah.

was waiting for this! But not ready for the tomatoes... Kudos to you!

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 12:30 am
amother [ Jean ] wrote:
wait in Israel they play x-mas songs? didn't realize

No they do not. See above.

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 12:42 am
As a kid I used to like looking at the xmas decorations.

But when I grew older and learned about all the Jews murdered at this time of the year,
I don't enjoy it anymore.

Is there anything wrong with enjoying a catchy Nazi song?

Einikel

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 12:48 am
I used to be mortified when my mother did it but now I do the same 🙈

etky

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 2:18 am
Elfrida wrote:
Try driving down Derech Chevron towards the end of the month. Or hanging out by Sha'ar Yafo the day they distribute free trees. Or listen to Rigei Kesem on that date. And certain parts of the Old City are already decorated. It's not hard to avoid, but it is here.

It's here - and always has been - but it's relegated to certain distinct sectors and mostly confined geographically too.
It's not part of the mainstream culture.
What's more pervasive OTOH is Novigod, which although a secular holiday for citizens of Russian and former Soviet extraction, employs certain symbols borrowed from the Xmas traditions.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 1:22 pm
Xmas songs is not the only non jewish catchy tune.
I was in Shul and the Shliach Tzibbur chose the tune of joseph and the technicolour raincoat by Andrew Lloyd Weber for one of the tunes. Probably because it was the Sedra where Yosef is sold by his brothers. I was not too impressed by his choice.

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 11:20 pm
My husband was in quoir in PS as a child, he hums along in store unconsciously

Conversely , Lakewood used to pay a certain shopping center not to play tge music

Now there are all frum stores there
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics