Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Miami neighborhoods safety:Miami Gardens, Opa Locka, Hialeah
Previous  1  2

amother
Stoneblue

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 1:27 pm
busy mommy wrote:
The eruv does extend over 6th Ave.
@OP over 6th Ave doesn't have huge houses either but they are definitely more affordable and walking distance to shuls.

Oh sorry guess I was misinformed. Someone specifically told me otherwise

saralem

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 2:00 pm
Boynton Beach?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 2:29 pm
saralem wrote:
Boynton Beach?

That’s very far, I need nmb schools for all the kids.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 7:28 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What size are houses there, and what’s a reasonable price?
Thanks

Houses are all sizes - 2,3,4 bedrooms. I wouldn't stray more than 3-4 blocks away from 6th simply because the walk to shul would become too far to do in the summer heat. Price ranges from 500-600k.

Keep in mind property taxes here are a joke - 5k annually is considered very expensive. Unless you get lucky, the houses here ARE smaller. Hollywood (Emerald Hills) prices are through the roof right now. There are bidding wars over houses that need to be gutted for 700k or higher.

You're looking at cities, not suburban towns like in NJ. You have to decide what you're willing to give up for a move and if it's worth it to you. We moved down here for the schools and it was 100% worth giving up a huge backyard and large property for this. Year round good weather doesn't hurt either.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 27 2021, 11:32 pm
amother [ Nasturtium ] wrote:
I live in NMB on "the other side of 6th Ave". Not many Jews there but it's walking distance to the main Jewish area and the shuls. Houses are still somewhat more affordable on this side. For whatever reason the NMB community is a little hesitant to cross 6th Ave. I wouldn't willingly live in any of those cities you listed - they are extremely unsafe, Hialeah especially.

If you're looking at Hollywood, Hollywood Hills or West Hollywood is way more affordable than Emerald Hills. You should also check out Cooper City - it's very up and coming and from what I hear, not as ridiculous as Aventura or Hollywood.

Amother nasturtium, what are the boundaries of nmb, between which streets and avenues?

Other than schools/backyard trade off, what did you gain or lose? Can your kids go outside by themselves, or is it out of question because it’s a city? What is lifestyle like? I’m not sure what exactly to ask, I used to live in Brooklyn where you wouldnt let kids out for a second; and even parks were super stressful; then lived in nj where it’s a diffeeent setup, more outdoor living etc.
Are your kids inside your house all the time? Do you have to walk them to a friends house, can older kids bike around the neighborhood, or go to the store by themselves (I don’t. Know if there are stores there but just asking lol)?

amother
Cyclamen

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 12:26 am
I would say the main boundaries of frum NMB are from 169 to 180th (or really Miami Gardens Drive) in one direction and from 13th to 6th in the other direction. (But really between 6th -9th isn't very populated with Jews in many areas and also the canal is the real border, not 13th. The canal runs diagonally so by 171st, 13th is on the frum side of the canal but by 180th the canal cuts off the community by 10th. So that makes it a bit more complicated to figure out if you aren't familiar with the streets/addresses.)

shaqued_almond

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 12:34 am
We live in Lauderhill and there's a bunch of families that commute to nmb for work and schools. We have good size houses and an eruv. Safer than nmb.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 12:02 pm
Thank you to everyone who keeps answering-that’s huge help!

What about Ives Estates area? There is aventura isles, ne 210th way; general Ives estates area.

I see some gated communities there have a number of Jewish residents, judging by names; no nearby minyanim on godaven though.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 9:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you to everyone who keeps answering-that’s huge help!

What about Ives Estates area? There is aventura isles, ne 210th way; general Ives estates area.

I see some gated communities there have a number of Jewish residents, judging by names; no nearby minyanim on godaven though.

Aventura isles has a number of frum families. I believe they are mostly Spanish speaking. I remember hearing that they're not allowed to have a shul there so they daven in a house and are probably not listed anywhere.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 2:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Amother nasturtium, what are the boundaries of nmb, between which streets and avenues?

Other than schools/backyard trade off, what did you gain or lose? Can your kids go outside by themselves, or is it out of question because it’s a city? What is lifestyle like? I’m not sure what exactly to ask, I used to live in Brooklyn where you wouldnt let kids out for a second; and even parks were super stressful; then lived in nj where it’s a diffeeent setup, more outdoor living etc.
Are your kids inside your house all the time? Do you have to walk them to a friends house, can older kids bike around the neighborhood, or go to the store by themselves (I don’t. Know if there are stores there but just asking lol)?

My older kids bike around the neighborhood and walk to shul and school themselves. They are NOT in the house all day. The weather here is beautiful almost year round and we go out plenty. I don't live near any stores so that one is irrelevant.

We also gained an amazing community and a cheaper cost of living. I know many people will say that Miami is an expensive place to live, but compared to upstate NY property taxes and insane income taxes we're actually better off here. There are also state sponsored scholarships for private schools that's a huge help in regard to tuition. The only thing that really terrifies me down here is insane drivers.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating