Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Bp bakery w large almond u- shaped cookie

jfk92

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 2:15 pm
Hi ladies
I know this is a bizzare post but my husband is searching for this and id love to help. Would anyone know of a bakery (bp/local) that carries a large cookie- thats u shaped w slivered almonds and the ends are dipped in chocolate?

Thank you!

amother
Hibiscus

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 2:20 pm
I think they’re called almond horns

Judy

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 2:32 pm
I think ostrovitsky makes it. That’s on ave j
Paperific used to have them - they carry ostrovitsky’s baked goods
And yeah they are delicious!!! Those almond horns.

sarah14

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 2:42 pm
I’m wondering if Ur referring to something that milk crate sells. It’s supposed to be delicious!

jfk92

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 4:22 pm
Judy wrote:
I think ostrovitsky makes it. That’s on ave j
Paperific used to have them - they carry ostrovitsky’s baked goods
And yeah they are delicious!!! Those almond horns.

Yes this. Thanks will check out paperific.

amother
Springgreen

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 4:50 pm
jfk92 wrote:
Yes this. Thanks will check out paperific.

I think Strauss bakery on 13th Ave and 52nd has.
Yum, love those.

jfk92

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 5:04 pm
amother [ Springgreen ] wrote:
I think Strauss bakery on 13th Ave and 52nd has.
Yum, love those.

Tried there. Don't have them Sad

Paperific said they could possibly have them but they arent sure and to check in the morning.
So I guess If not ill be heading towards ostravitiskys.
Ladies thank you for your help!

amother
Springgreen

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 5:06 pm
jfk92 wrote:
Tried there. Don't have them Sad

Paperific said they could possibly have them but they arent sure and to check in the morning.
So I guess If not ill be heading towards ostravitiskys.
Ladies thank you for your help!

Try calling first so you don’t waste a trip

hodeez

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 5:08 pm
Weiss bakery

amother
Blueberry

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 6:09 pm
Yum those are my favorite. I live in Lakewood, if anyone knows where I can get a almond horn in Lakewood that would be amazing. Korns said they they have not sold them in ages.

scruffy

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 7:34 pm
I miss those cookies!! Haven't seen them in a long time.

Amarante

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 7:53 pm
So funny. As my friend’s mother was reminiscing about them because she couldn’t find any and I sent her the recipe.

They are called MANDELHÖRNCHEN and are a traditional German cookie. I actually like German pastries more than French. They are easy to make as they are basically almond paste that is baked in a low oven. If anyone wants the recipe, I can post it.

Fave

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 7:55 pm
Amarante wrote:
So funny. As my friend’s mother was reminiscing about them because she couldn’t find any and I sent her the recipe.

They are called MANDELHÖRNCHEN and are a traditional German cookie. I actually like German pastries more than French. They are easy to make as they are basically almond paste that is baked in a low oven. If anyone wants the recipe, I can post it.

Can you share the recipe please?

Amarante

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 9:35 pm
Fave wrote:
Can you share the recipe please?

If you like traditional baked goods, this is a wonderful cookbook

In Classic German Baking, blogger and author Luisa Weiss--who was born in Berlin to an Italian mother and American father, and married into a family of bakers with roots in Saxony--has collected and mastered the recipes most essential to every good baker's repertoire. In addition to the pillars of the German baking tradition, like x-mas stollen, lebkuchen, and apple strudel, Weiss includes overlooked gems, like eisenbahner--an almond macaroon paste piped onto jam-topped shortbread--and rosinenbrötchen--the raisin-studded whole wheat buns that please a child's palate and a parent's conscience--to create the resource that bakers across the world have long wanted.

MANDELHÖRNCHEN - Chocolate-Dipped Almond Crescents

Excerpt From: Luisa Weiss - Classic German Baking

MAKES ABOUT 10 COOKIES

These gluten-free chocolate-dipped almond crescents are a beloved after-school snack in Germany. The cookie itself is chewy, like a macaroon, but gets a pleasing crunch from the sliced almonds embedded in the dough. The ends of Mandelhörnchen are usually dipped in chocolate. When developing the recipe, I realized that I preferred crescents that had a bit of chocolate in each bite, so I dip the bottom of each crescent in chocolate, instead of just the ends. Bakery-made specimens are often quite large, but I prefer to make a slightly smaller cookie, keeping the crescents no larger than palm-size.

In Germany, the ubiquity of Mandelhörnchen at every corner bakery means that hardly anyone makes them at home, but they are very simple to throw together. If you are a fan of almond paste, you will love these.

For maximum authenticity, Mandelhörnchen should be made with blanched sliced almonds.

7 ounces/200g almond paste
¼ cup/50g granulated sugar
1 egg white
1 cup/85g blanched sliced almonds
3½ ounces/100g bittersweet chocolate (minimum 50% cacao), chopped

1 Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

2 Cut or tear the almond paste into small pieces or grate it on a box grater’s largest holes and place in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the flat beater attachment. Add the sugar and egg white. Beat together until creamy and uniform, 1 to 2 minutes.

3 Place the sliced almonds in a wide, shallow bowl. Place a bowl of cold water nearby. Dip your hands in the cold water, and then take a piece (about one-tenth) of the almond dough and roll out evenly to 4½ inches/11cm long. Place the log in the bowl of sliced almonds and turn to coat evenly all over. Place the log on the prepared baking sheet and form it into a crescent. Repeat with the remaining dough and almonds.

4 Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until the almonds are toasted and the cookie dough is golden brown and gently puffed. Place the baking sheet on a rack to cool.

5 When the crescents are completely cool, melt the chopped chocolate in a double boiler set over simmering water or in a microwave in short bursts, stirring after every few bursts. Brush the bottom of each cookie thinly with some of the melted chocolate and then dip the ends of each crescent about ¾ inch/2cm into the melted chocolate if you wish. Place the cookies on the lined baking sheet, chocolate-side down, to set the chocolate, about 1 hour.

6 When the chocolate is fully set, transfer the cookies to an airtight container, where they will keep for up to 1 week

Judy

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 1:56 am
Almond horns are yum! Sounds so simple to make. Just what is almond paste and where do u get that?

amother
Mintcream

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 10:28 am
https://www.kingarthurbaking.c.....ecipe

When I couldn’t find it to buy, I found it very easy to make my own almond paste from almond meal/almond flour. See recipe in this link.

Amarante

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 10:28 am
Judy wrote:
Almond horns are yum! Sounds so simple to make. Just what is almond paste and where do u get that?

It is basically ground almonds with confectionary sugar. It tastes a bit like marzipan but is a bit different.

You can either purchase it or there are recipes for home made versions using almond flour which is ground almonds.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries