Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Anyone have some spelt recipes?

gevaldik

Post Sun, Sep 11 2005, 5:07 pm
Very Happy
I was wondering if anyone had any spelt recipes that they wanted to share!
Thanks

baby's mom

Post Sun, Sep 11 2005, 8:20 pm
what exactly are you looking to make?

sarahd

Post Mon, Sep 12 2005, 1:06 am
Do you mean spelt flour or spelt the grain?

gevaldik

Post Mon, Sep 12 2005, 10:37 am
I'm talking about spelt flour. I'm pretty much looking for any recipe from breads to cakes, cookies, pizza I guess anything with spelt flour.
Thanks

elisecohen

Post Mon, Sep 12 2005, 11:46 am
Spelt flour can be used pretty much interchangeably with wheat flour--it's just an early form of wheat (not as specially bred for preferred characteristics). If you use it for a yeast recipe I would recommend adding some wheat gluten. Generally it is more similar to whole wheat flour than to refined white flour.

Due to its similarity to regular wheat, it is not suitable for use by anyone with celiac disease, gluten intolerance of a different type, or IgE mediated wheat allergy. OTOH, if you are just using it for variety or for the use of a whole grain, it is yummy and can add some change to your life! Enjoy.

baby's mom

Post Mon, Sep 12 2005, 12:43 pm
I substitute 1/3 cup spelt for the 1/3 cup wheat flour in the potatoe kugel recipe in purple cookbook (does anyone esle call it like that?) and it comes out yum!

mimama

Post Mon, Sep 12 2005, 1:13 pm
It can basically be substitute in any flour recipe. Brownies ( or choc. cake) are the best cakes to make with spelt by just subituting the flour. I make challah using the recipe from the purple cookbook (I call it that as well Tongue Out ), it is on the bottom right hand side of the page.

Tovah

Post Mon, Sep 12 2005, 1:23 pm
allrecipees.com look there
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics