Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
What do you think of this story?
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 1:55 am
Here is what I found disturbing and twisted in this story. (And no, I don't plan to read that column again. Ive head enough)

First, an important disclaimer: I'm all for promoting minimal internet usage. I don't think a single boy or girl needs a phone with internet. I don't think most boys need a phone at all. I think most of us overuse the phone and the internet.

That being said.

The underlying insinuation in the story is that if you dont have a filter you will come to watch movies all day. The next step is that you will become a boy that is a lowlife, who spends his time terrorizing others.

The problem I have with this way of looking at life is that the second a biy has a drop of temptation, he goes all the way. I hate to say this but kids who raised with such an extreme view are liable to go to the opposite extreme the second they get the first whiff of forbidden fruit.

Maybe it's just my perception, but I have noticed that when chassidim go away from their upbringing they will fall.much much further down than children who were raised less strictly. Because these children are taught that if you tough a smartphone, you are a shaygetz. So they cannot differentiate between that and let's say being mechalel shabbos. If I'm already a shaygetz I can go all the way.
Girls are taught that wearing tights is the same as lets say covering elbows or collarbone. So if a girl takes off her tights, it's downhill from there. There is no understanding of degrees. No understanding of halacha, chumra and social norm.

A normal boy who has a phone and the filter gets removed would probably not go crazy and start to watch movies all day. Only a boy that has been conditioned to think that if you don't have a filter that is what you WILL do.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 1:59 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
It's in one of the Bais Yaakov tznius threads, if you ever do become curious.

I know that the story was about cause and effect, but the type of message the story was giving was s'char v'onesh. To scare people away from having unfiltered phones.

I went to Bais Yaakov and never heard this story. The word tights was never mentioned in bais Yaakov. The only halachos that were taught were actually halachos ie. The areas that need to be covered halachically.

I don't plan to go looking for it but my guess is that this is some chassidish scare tactic.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 1:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Are you the one who said the first story sounds made up?

My questron to you is, why do you think so? Do you think people who think like this don't exist?

If I were to tell you a miracle story and you say it's made up, fine. But we are talking of stories that the author claims is real and the only part that sounds crazy is the way these people think. So my question to you is if you don't believe people think this way? If not, how do you think there is an audience for this kind of stuff. Obviously there are people who think this way and they are encouraging others to view technology in the same way.

Sure I believe people feel that way about technology.
But a story like this that is written like a True Confession, no. These type of stories were quite popular in non Jewish magazines a century ago. People were less sophisticated then and ate it up. The frum world takes a little longer to catch up, I guess. Maybe I'd have believed it if I'd read it as a kid. It's just so slapstick and caricatured to believe it now.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room