Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
I Work Full Time in the Tech Field (Software) - AMA!
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
DarkPurple

Post Sat, Dec 11 2021, 7:27 pm
amother [ Kiwi ] wrote:
the site lists many workers earning more than 300,000 a year for a software engineer at a big company? Is that accurate?

After many, many many years, yes. (we're talking probably 15-20+)

amother
Kiwi

Post Sat, Dec 11 2021, 8:00 pm
amother [ DarkPurple ] wrote:
After many, many many years, yes. (we're talking probably 15-20+)
The ones I looked at were saying 3-400,000 for 2 years, 5 years. Not after more than 10 years.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Sat, Dec 11 2021, 8:46 pm
amother [ Kiwi ] wrote:
The ones I looked at were saying 3-400,000 for 2 years, 5 years. Not after more than 10 years.

Nope, not realistic

amother
Buttercup

Post Sat, Dec 11 2021, 8:58 pm
Nope, not realistic

I don’t think it’s so unrealistic to earn in the 300 range in FAANG after 4-5 years.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Sat, Dec 11 2021, 9:05 pm
amother [ Buttercup ] wrote:
I don’t think it’s so unrealistic to earn in the 300 range in FAANG after 4-5 years.

I think it's unrealistic, but my company's not FAANG so I don't know for sure.

shyner

Post Sat, Dec 11 2021, 9:11 pm
Thanks for this thread OP.
I’m currently studying part time for a computer science degree I still have a few more years to go. I’m really good at tech and computing and math have always been strong interests of mine but I was always unsure if I made the wrong choice or if it is a sustainable job for a frum mom with lots of family responsibilities and your post is really encouraging for me to finish studying and get that great job that I’ve always wanted
So thanks a lot.

amother
Maize

Post Sat, Dec 11 2021, 9:29 pm
I think it's unrealistic, but my company's not FAANG so I don't know for sure.

It is realistic to earn that in FAANG (including compensation from equity) within the 5ish year range, but those jobs are very high pressure and require a lot of hours. It depends whether you want to maximize earnings or maintain more work / life balance. Also, of course, those jobs are hard to come by. Most people who apply for them don’t get them.

levels.fyi gives a very accurate comp structure for the big companies.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 12:12 am
I have friends who work at FAANG and those numbers are real. The interviews are hard but not impossible - some people spend months studying and it pays off.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 4:29 am
I was so glad to see this thread! Thanks for the info! I am considering becoming a software programmer. Due to family obligations, time constraints, and financial considerations I cannot obtain a college degree in the field (although I do have a degree in a different field). I plan to either take online classes or enroll in a bootcamp. However, the bootcamps all seem geared toward web development, which I do not want to pursue, and they are expensive. I would like to keep training costs as low as possible.

A few questions: Which computer languages would you recommend learning in order to get a first job? How many languages should I learn in order to get a job? In addition to learning languages, do you have any suggestions for specific courses or topics that I should take/cover? Udemy.com seems like they have many relevant courses- can this be a good resource for self training? Any suggestions for getting started would be great!

TIA!

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 1:55 pm
Udemy can be a great place to take courses!
My suggestion is to learn an object oriented language first - such as c# or Java since those are pretty popular and you can always learn a non object oriented language after that (such as JavaScript).

Web development is the easiest field to get into - I'm curious why you aren't interested in that?

It's really hard to get a job if you don't have formal education listed on your resume - even just a boot camp. So instead I would recommend contributing to open source software or building a project you can use to advertise your skills.

amother
Kiwi

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 2:04 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
Udemy can be a great place to take courses!
My suggestion is to learn an object oriented language first - such as c# or Java since those are pretty popular and you can always learn a non object oriented language after that (such as JavaScript).

Web development is the easiest field to get into - I'm curious why you aren't interested in that?

It's really hard to get a job if you don't have formal education listed on your resume - even just a boot camp. So instead I would recommend contributing to open source software or building a project you can use to advertise your skills.
What does object oriented language and non object oriented language mean?

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 5:50 pm
amother [ Kiwi ] wrote:
What does object oriented language and non object oriented language mean?

https://www.educative.io/blog/.....mming

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 5:58 pm
Thanks everyone for the thread it's so informative. My dd 17 ( in sem school where we live is only until 11th grade) is taking a boot camp style course it's expensive but I hope will be good for her future.
Meantime I'm in between jobs due to mat leave and other things. Is it a good idea to learn coding using my daughter's course info?
I'm super efficient and learn new skills easily. I do need the income desperately how fast can I learn enough to be able to get a decent job?

Any suggestions and replies appreciated!

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Dec 12 2021, 6:05 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Thanks everyone for the thread it's so informative. My dd 17 ( in sem school where we live is only until 11th grade) is taking a boot camp style course it's expensive but I hope will be good for her future.
Meantime I'm in between jobs due to mat leave and other things. Is it a good idea to learn coding using my daughter's course info?
I'm super efficient and learn new skills easily. I do need the income desperately how fast can I learn enough to be able to get a decent job?

Any suggestions and replies appreciated!

It definitely can't hurt to try and learn Wink
I can't imagine you'll be able to teach yourself very quickly though... Most boot camps are 9 months, and I'm sure you have other responsibilities in your life that you can't dedicate your entire day to coding.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics