Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Birthday Present for an 18 Year Old. Preferably Meaningful

happy to be me

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 10:24 am
Subject line says it all.
I'm looking for ideas for a birthday present for my daughter that's turning 18 in a few months.
On one hand I'm thinking along the lines of something meaningful (no clue what though!) on the other hand maybe I should just buy something more practical and useful.
And that's where all you imamothers come in! Please help me brainstorm. All ideas are welcome and appreciated! Thanks!

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 11:25 am
I received the Touched by a Story series for my high school graduation... it was a really nice gift,

happy to be me

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 12:08 pm
Thank you!

singleagain

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 12:22 pm
What kind of person is your daughter?

Does she like things? Have any collections where you can get a rare inclusion?

Does she like experiences? Can you do something with her that is really expensive/once in a lifetime?

Is she sentimental? Can you gift her an heirloom now?

Is she far thinking? Would she appreciate something that might not be so practical now but will last forever?

So many factors... Tell us more about her,

happy to be me

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 12:39 pm
singleagain wrote:
What kind of person is your daughter?

Does she like things? Have any collections where you can get a rare inclusion?

No serious collections that I can think of.

singleagain wrote:
Does she like experiences? Can you do something with her that is really expensive/once in a lifetime?

She LOVES experiences. I would love to give her that opportunity but don't know if that's fiscally responsible of me right now. Unless I could come up with something that's an experience but not too expensive.

singleagain wrote:
Is she sentimental? Can you gift her an heirloom now?

She is extremely sentimental. I know this sounds selfish, but I'm not ready to part with the one thing I think she would appreciate.

singleagain wrote:
Is she far thinking? Would she appreciate something that might not be so practical now but will last forever?

She is far thinking. What type of thing are you referring to?

Thanks for breaking it down this way.
She is really easy to please and would appreciate anything because of the thought and effort that went into the gift.

amother
Green

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 12:51 pm
My youngest is 30, so not sure if this applies.
In our family you can’t wear makeup “officially” until you are 18.
I took them for a full makeover at Sephora, and they got to purchase appropriate foundation, palettes, etc.

When my youngest turned 21 her sisters took her to a wine and paint thingy. They first took her to dinner and had her wear a sash and a tiara and then the 3 of them went painting with a bottle of Bartenura Moscoto (nothing too strong) and some champagne glasses
She loved it

singleagain

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 12:57 pm
happy to be me wrote:

She LOVES experiences. I would love to give her that opportunity but don't know if that's fiscally responsible of me right now. Unless I could come up with something that's an experience but not too expensive.

She is far thinking. What type of thing are you referring to?

Thanks for breaking it down this way.
She is really easy to please and would appreciate anything because of the thought and effort that went into the gift.

Ok. So for experiences. Something special the two of you.. like a Broadway show. Or a special trip? Gear to her interests. Concert. Open mic night. Painting. Crafting. Gun shooting. Axe throwing. Etc.

For far thinking. Honestly, the first thing I thought of, if she likes to bake, can you find some really nice baking equipment... She might not have her own kitchen yet, but when she does she'll be happy to have it. Or learning something like basic car maintenance. Or books about future relationships or finances.

happy to be me

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 1:03 pm
Thank you amother green and singleagain. You've both given me food for thought.
Wish I could give her one of each!

singleagain

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 1:08 pm
You also want to think about what is meaningful to your daughter. I don't know her. I can't even begin to guess.

But something like makeup and jewelry can be either really meaningful or really not.

Know thy kid.

happy to be me

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 1:09 pm
singleagain wrote:
You also want to think about what is meaningful to your daughter. I don't know her. I can't even begin to guess.

But something like makeup and jewelry can be either really meaningful or really not.

Know thy kid.

True.

Joy of Motherhood

Post Mon, Dec 13 2021, 5:11 am
What did you end up doing for her birthday? Looking for ideas. My daughter's 18th birthday is coming up soon.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics