Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
The power of bedtime stories

yehudis

Post Sun, Sep 11 2005, 1:32 pm
This seems so obvious, but we've just discovered it -- if there's something we're working on with our children, it really helps to tell them a story about it at bedtime. My 4-year-old and 2-year-old keep fighting, and I tell them stories about two sisters who used to fight and then one sister decided not to hit back, etc. And they fight less!

Tefila

Post Sun, Sep 11 2005, 3:36 pm
Yehudis Thank-You I will try that too Very Happy

Rivka

Post Mon, Sep 12 2005, 1:51 pm
That sounds like a really good idea.

mommy2

Post Mon, Sep 12 2005, 3:07 pm
its a gr8 idea. It also works to distract them if they r hyper or not listening, u just make up any story, it doesnt have to make sense.

Yocheved_G

Post Mon, Sep 12 2005, 10:31 pm
I try to create bedtime stories for my 3 1/2 year old that are on topic with what ever I am trying to teach him or reinforce. A while back, I told him a story about the Alef-Beis, then about how Hashem created the world and made Shabbos, etc. Right now, I am telling him a story about the mitzvah of Yarmulke. This one is pretty basic and brief because I am so wiped out by bedtime, but he loves it. He always asks for it and I make sure to keep the story just about exactly the same every time.

I think it is a really meaningful and valuable thing to do, and the last thing on his mind before falling asleep are divrei Torah.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics