Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
The Milgram Experiment

leah233

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 1:30 pm
I sometimes see people use Milgram and similar such experiments as apologetics for the Nazis behavior. I don’t get it because Milgram's experiment was completely unlike the Nazi's experience.

It does prove that most people would obey a direct order from an authority figure against their own will and better judgment. Particularly if the authority figure is acting bullying and coercive like Milgram's people were. But that is all.

It is not the situation the Nazis were in. Unlike the subjects of Milgram's experiment the Nazis:

(1) weren’t being micromanaged. They did not have an authority figure directly telling them what to do at every move and turn and by extension taking the responsibility for their behavior

(2) had time to think over what they were doing

(3) were given the option to stop if they requested it. They weren’t told on their fourth request to stop “you have no choice other than to continue” which borders on an open threat

(4)did not show the signs of distress Milgrams subjects did

(5)were not receiving orders on a one on one basis. Studies have shown that even in situations where most people would give in to an external pressure they would not do so if they can find even one ally in resisting that pressure.

(6)This isn't an argument against the experiment per se but the SS did not accept pushovers. It wasn't easy to get in and they had a reputation. Anyone who joined had some inkling of what he (or she) was signing up for

chanatron1000

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 1:32 pm
On the other hand, though, the subjects in Milgram's experiment were just people off the street. They hadn't been indoctrinated by the authority's team.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics