Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Feeling guilty I broke my fast

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 1:48 pm
I had a splitting headache, and I’m taking care of my 3 kids
Rav said I can take Advil but I didn’t ask him if I could eat
Felt very weak

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 1:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Felt very weak

Make sure you are drinking enough water. If you want to call him back you can, otherwise I don’t think there are restrictions once you have broken your fast.
Refua shlaima!!!

syrima

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 1:51 pm
Refuah sheleima sometimes you just have to make a judgment call ....

Girl@Heart

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 3:00 pm
Your primary job right now is the well being of your children. If you can do this while fasting great. If you can’t (I consider a splitting headache an obstacle that can not be overcome while caring for multiple young children ) then you don’t fast anymore.

imaima

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 3:03 pm
I don't even ask a rav in such cases.
You cannot take a painkiller on an empty stomach so ..

SG18

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 3:05 pm
If you felt like it was necessary, it was necessary
- Love, a mom who didn't fast this past Yom Kippur while pregnant, because she was sick, and felt guilty all day

chanchy123

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 3:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Felt very weak

According to my halachic knowledge it is permitted to break your fast if you feel unwell enough that you have to lay down. A splitting headache is reason enough.
For the first time in years (at least a decade if not more) I completed a minor fast without a splitting headache it feeling weak or dizzy - I was just cranky and on-edge because I was hungry.
I usually start fasting and stop once I have a bad headache or feel woozy - unless I’m already at the end and just hold it out and suffer.

amother
Canary

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 3:12 pm
No reason to feel guilty. This is the kind of question that doesn't require a shaila because it's straight up in the kitzur shulchan aruch/Mishna berura.

You're sick, need medication to get thru the day, and have little children to take care of. Any of those three alone would have made you pattur from the fast.

amother
Zinnia

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 3:15 pm
I normally never have a problem fasting, but I've spent the past week in bed with pneumonia... I didn't even start fasting.

amother
Mocha

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 3:43 pm
Everyone reading this should keep in mind that there is a major difference between breaking your fast when not feeling well on a minor fast day and on a major fast day.
On Yom kippur and tisha bav, you can not break your fast (even if you don't feel well) without a psak from a rov.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 3:46 pm
By the way - the Jewish pharmacies sell suppositories that are half caffeine and half Tylenol, and they work wonders.

chanatron1000

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 3:46 pm
imaima wrote:
I don't even ask a rav in such cases.
You cannot take a painkiller on an empty stomach so ..

It depends on the painkiller. Tylenol is fine, but NSAIDs like Advil are not.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 4:57 pm
chanatron1000 wrote:
It depends on the painkiller. Tylenol is fine, but NSAIDs like Advil are not.

I can’t take anything on an empty stomach, not even Tylenol

amother
Snow

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 6:54 pm
I am breastfeeding my 1 year old and not fasting. Was I meant to feel guilty?
As a single girl, I only broke my fast once, otherwise I fasted every single fast day.

amother
Canary

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 6:57 pm
amother [ Snow ] wrote:
As a single girl, I only broke my fast once, otherwise I fasted every single fast day.

No, you're fully exempt from fasting because you're nursing a one year old. Even if you weren't nursing, according to many mainstream poskim, you'd be fully expect until your baby was two.(excluding Yom kippur, and usually Tisha bav)

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 6:59 pm
amother [ Snow ] wrote:

I remember asking a chashuv rav about fasting when pregnant and he laughed and said his wife only fasted twice a year for 15 years because she was either pregnant or nursing. There's no shaila. And anyone who has asked a shaila, for the big 2 or others, should not feel guilty. It's understandable to feel wistful on those 2 days but there can even be some simcha shel mitzvah in following the psak: that's the mitzvah today.

amother
Thistle

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 7:04 pm
Shayfela, you are a mommy of 3 little ones. You tried to fast but you didn't feel well. Your mitzva is to take care of your little ones. You will get schar for trying. Please don't be so hard on yourself!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note