Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
The sleeve surgery in RWJ

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 5:20 pm
My husband is iyh having the sleeve surgery in RWJ hospital. I have a few questions. A nurse at one of his appts told him that she thinks no one can be with him pre-op or in the recovery room. Did anyone have the surgery there recently (covid times) and tell me the protocol? Until when can I be in the hospital before his surgery? And then approximately how long does the surgery last? How long were you/your husband in recovery room, and is it true that I can't be there at that time? Basically for how long won't I be able to be there?
I'm asking because I need to figure out what to do with my kids. I know I anyway won't find out what time the appointment is until the day before (I'm hoping it'll be earlyish morning, but just to get a feel, what time was yours?) And if it'll be 6 hours that I can't be there, I'll go home and be able to pick up my kids myself, then bring them somewhere while I go back to my husband. But if it's only 3 hours, it won't be worth it to go home, and I want to figure the day out.

Also, do you know if I can sleep in the hospital with my husband, as they said he'll be there overnight? (Not sure I will anyway, but I want to know if it's an option)

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but that's it for now Smile
Thanks!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 11:05 am
Bump

amother
Hunter

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 11:06 am
Your best bet would be to call the hospital or doctors office and ask all these questions...

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 11:41 am
which branch of RWJ

I had it done in Hamilton RWJ

It was a very nice brand new facility

gr8 mom

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 11:51 am
You can pm me with any questions just dont know anything about covid protocol but have experience with the surgery done there....

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 11:33 am
Did he have his surgery yet? I'm also curious how the day goes. My husband is going soon. I know therea a biker cholim house near by and a bikur cholim waiting room. Just by haveing previous procedure I dont think you'll be able to with him much until he geta a room which might not be till after visitinf houra are over. I think the sleeve is 1.5-2 hrs.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 5:16 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Did he have his surgery yet? I'm also curious how the day goes. My husband is going soon. I know therea a biker cholim house near by and a bikur cholim waiting room. Just by haveing previous procedure I dont think you'll be able to with him much until he geta a room which might not be till after visitinf houra are over. I think the sleeve is 1.5-2 hrs.

Op here. He just had it. We had to be at hospital 5:40 am. Surgery scheduled for 7:40. From when they took him at about 6:00, I wasn't able to see him until he got into a room. So they took him for pre-op, where he was able to call me from, after they prepped him and before he fell asleep. Then they called me when the surgery was finished and he was in recovery room, to let me know how it went. He ended up calling me later, when he woke up. He told me he's not getting a room that fast. Little did I know what that fast meant.

I went home at 6, because I figured I can't see him anyway, so I was happier to be there to send my kids off to school. The hospital called me about 8:45 that the surgery was finished. So I did a few errands then went to hospital. Figured by the time I get there, I'll wait an hour or so. I also had his tallis and tefillin with me, as before he went in for surgery was too early for him to put it on. In order for me to be home on time for kids, I had to leave hospital by 2:40. I had plans for them if I wouldn't be home, but at 2:00 my husband called me and said it doesn't seem like he'll get to a room before visiting hours are over. I wanted to get his tallis and tefillin to him, so I asked the information desk if there's a way to get it to him, and security called the recovery room, who said they'll send someone to get it. When 20 minutes later, no one had come, I went to lady in surgery waiting room to ask. She said, honey, your husband's surgery was over hours ago and he's still not in a room! I'm gonna get you permission to see him because this is insane! I was able to go into the recovery room to see him for 5 minutes. Then he got into a room finally after 8:00 pm. Nebbach he was in recovery room for almost 12 hours!
So basically, if you're driving your husband, I'd say leave as soon as they take him, and don't go back! They said this happens all the time, they're crazy short on beds! (If it's in RWJ new brunswick). Or, let your husband see if he can know when he'll get to a bed

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 5:27 pm
Thanks who did u use as a doctor? Yeah my father has gone to that hospital a few times this year and it always takes hours to get a room. Is it terrible if I don't go at all he said he doesnt mind taking a uber. Then I dont have to make arragments for the kids. What time did he get discharged the next day?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 5:50 pm
Thanks who did u use as a doctor?

Dr. Sadek

Is it terrible if I don't go at all he said he doesnt mind taking a uber. Then I dont have to make arragments for the kids.

No, if I would've known how little I'd be with my husband, I would've done the same thing.

What time did he get discharged the next day?
My husband told me he thinks the Dr does his rounds later in the day, so I called Dr office and asked, they said on Thursday he goes to hospital at 12 to start his rounds. (He had surgery yesterday, was discharged today, Thursday) So I knew I didn't have to be there until then. At about 1:00 my husband said he was seen, but nurses said it'll take awhile to do paperwork. I ended up staying at work the whole day and only got to hospital at 4:00. He could've been discharged 3:15, but he left as soon as I got to his room. He told me no point in coming sooner, he shared a tiny room, there wouldn't even be room for me! I saw it for a second when I picked him up. I literally would've been sitting on his bed with him!

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 5:59 pm
O wow k thanks!

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 12:19 pm
Hows your husband doing? My husband is going in tomm. Wondering what im in for....

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 2:26 pm
Hows your husband doing? My husband is going in tomm. Wondering what im in for....

Bh he's doing amazing. He feels rly good. Almost regular. But he's being amazing w keeping to food restrictions. The second he ate a full yogurt (which he's allowed to have by now, I think from 4 days post surgery) he felt so full that he was uncomfortable, but really besides that bh it's been a real easy recovery

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 4:13 pm
Wow bh! What did u tell your kids?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 5:34 pm
Wow bh! What did u tell your kids?

My husband told them the night before, that hrs going to the hospital for a small procedure, and he'll iyh come home the next day. My kids asked if it has to do with his diet, and he said it's just a small procedure, and left it at that. Lol my kids didn't want to take that as an answer, but that's all the info they got

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 6:25 pm

How's your husband doing? And how was your day?

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Dec 23 2021, 1:33 am
Bh he had to be there 5:20 they started at 7:20. He was done by 8:30 they called me while they were still in the operating room that he was awake and did great. They didnt think they would have a room for him but at around 6pm he got a room. He was very tired all day sleeping. When I spoke to him at 8:30 sounded like he was starting to feel it....thanjs for asking.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries