Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Ricotta cheese vs farmers cheese

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 5:54 pm
the farmers cheese in my local store is made from low fat milk with cream added. I don'tknow why they use low fat milk and then add cream...

I prefer a product in its pure form . is ricotta cheese considered healthier?
its made only from the whey- so isit considered more processed than other cheese?

is ricotta a good substitute for farmers cheese esp if I want to use it in blintzes and cheescake? (I usually use farmers cheese)

zaq

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 7:20 pm
Farmer cheese is best for blintzes because it's drier, holds its shape and is less likely to leak out. The fact that the cheese is made of skim milk with added cream doesn't affect its nutritive value or make it less healthy. It's probably cheaper or more efficient to use skim and add cream because then the dairy can control the percentage of fat in the product by adding exactly as much cream as desired. That's how you get cheeses with various percentages of fat.

FTR, the "whole milk" you buy is not unprocessed. The fat content of milk varies from cow to cow and from day to day. Dairies blend milk collected from multiple farms, centrifuge the blended milk to separate out the cream, add a precise percentage of cream back to the skim milk to get the standardized 3.25% fat product we know as whole milk, and then homogenize it so the cream doesn't separate and force you to shake it up every time you want to pour a glass. So your "pure" whole milk is already skim milk to which cream has been added. It's no more and no less "pure" than milk straight from the cow (except, of course, that it's been tested to make sure it's not contaminated and then pasteurized to kill any microorganisms that were present but not detected. )
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise