Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
Camp Maayan Midwest
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 7:40 am
Hi all! What can you tell me about this camp? I have an interested dd. We have been a Sternberg family before this (and happy)- anyone know how it might compare? Looking for a camp that is safely run by people who make good decisions and work with parents when necessary, including good communication. And a camp good for a girl who is basically open beis Yaakov. Thanks!

birds

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 3:11 pm
Bump

amother
Celeste

Post Mon, Dec 13 2021, 12:28 pm
hi. not op but bumping up this thread. I applied to other camps for my daughter but I have a feeling she might not get in.
Do you know when you have to apply for maayan midwest?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Dec 13 2021, 4:42 pm
I still saw ads for it this weekend so I'm assuming they're still taking applications.

sruth1

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 11:01 pm
This will be my daughters second year at Camp Maayan Midwest. She had the time of her life. I would say we are out of town yeshivish. My husband is a rebbe in the local yeshivah day school. If we lived in a larger community she would go to bais yaakov. When we were looking int camps we applied to both agudah Midwest and Maayan Midwest but ultimately chose Maayan as we get a more Midwest low key vibe.
It is great camp. I have been impressed with all the people who run it. Great communication. (Although I think sometime I may drive them crazy because I email a lot with questions). Amazing activities, very individual camper oriented, great trips. Really well run. I highly recommend it.

amother
Celeste

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 7:13 am
thank you! my dd will be going there this coming summer for the first time. I'm excited for her Smile

sruth1

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 7:25 am
amother [ Celeste ] wrote:
thank you! my dd will be going there this coming summer for the first time. I'm excited for her Smile

What grade is your daughter going into?

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 8:01 am
There’s a new director this year, anyone know how that will change things from last year? We’re OOT yeshivish type and the old director was bais Yakov style.

sruth1

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 8:05 am
Who is the new director?

amother
Celeste

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 8:10 am
my daughter is going in to 7th grade.

sruth1

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 8:15 am
my daughter is going in to 7th grade.

Mine too, they will be in the same age group.

amother
Celeste

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 9:22 am
awesome! wonder if they'll be in the same bunk Smile

I know for other camps people will often ask if there's anything their daughters "need" to bring so I'll ask you the same thing. She's my oldest so been out of the sleepaway camp loop for a while 'Wink but really one of the things that I'm excited about maayan about is that it sounds like I don't need to worry that my daughter's clothing is trendy enough...

sruth1

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 9:43 am
awesome! wonder if they'll be in the same bunk Smile

I know for other camps people will often ask if there's anything their daughters "need" to bring so I'll ask you the same thing. She's my oldest so been out of the sleepaway camp loop for a while 'Wink but really one of the things that I'm excited about maayan about is that it sounds like I don't need to worry that my daughter's clothing is trendy enough...

Trendy clothing not an issue at all.
Does your daughter know anyone else going. Any girls from her school go before. If you want to IM me I can give you some tips from my daughter experience last year.

amother
Narcissus

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 11:16 pm
I have 2 daughters going there this summer 😊
First time at sleepaway camp for both of them.

amother
Daylily

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 10:08 pm
Bumping this up. I’m thinking of sending my daughter but confused about the crowd. Is it Yeshivish or modern? We are out of town yeshivish.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 1:57 am
amother Daylily wrote:
Bumping this up. I’m thinking of sending my daughter but confused about the crowd. Is it Yeshivish or modern? We are out of town yeshivish.

Bumping for this year-same, my daughter really wants to go this summer with her friend. Trying to get an idea of the type of families who send there. Any families in kollel or chinuch?

amother
Rainbow

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 8:30 am
amother Bronze wrote:
Bumping for this year-same, my daughter really wants to go this summer with her friend. Trying to get an idea of the type of families who send there. Any families in kollel or chinuch?

My daughter went this summer and loved it, but it definitely does not sound like a kollel/chinuch type of camp. I’d say it’s more left wing Bais Yaakov. Maybe a little to the right of Sternberg.

amother
Seablue

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 9:31 am
Can anyone tell me what's the difference between jr. staff for 12th grade and 12th+staff
My daughter really wants to go but I'm not sure what the difference is, also we are not from the US so really not familiar with sleepaway camps...
Thanks!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 9:40 am
amother Rainbow wrote:
My daughter went this summer and loved it, but it definitely does not sound like a kollel/chinuch type of camp. I’d say it’s more left wing Bais Yaakov. Maybe a little to the right of Sternberg.

We sent this past summer, and have sent to Sternberg. It was very much not to the right of Sternberg. The vast majority of girls were not yeshivish in any way, at least in dd's age group (post bas mitzvah). My dd was the only girl in her bunk who wore knee socks, vs short or none, for example.

amother
Rainbow

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 4:23 pm
amother OP wrote:
We sent this past summer, and have sent to Sternberg. It was very much not to the right of Sternberg. The vast majority of girls were not yeshivish in any way, at least in dd's age group (post bas mitzvah). My dd was the only girl in her bunk who wore knee socks, vs short or none, for example.

I agree with your assessment, but the girls I know who go to Sternberg are much more modern.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps