Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
New community forming in Eretz Yisroel!!!!!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8

champion

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 3:13 am
gold2 wrote:
I would be interested to know whether Rabbi Charlap is on board with this idea as to the best of my knowledge, they have a vetting process for who is allowed to come and live in the yishuv and they won't accept just anyone.

I would be surprised to hear that a whole new community would suddenly be allowed to join and possibly change the face of the yishuv but you never know...

He will part of the vetting process.
The kind of people that will respond to such a flier are a very certain type to begin with and Rav Charlap will look into each family.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 4:29 am
Chareidim from Meitzad and Maale Amos do shop and dine in Gush establishments, not all of them, but some do. I’m talking strip mall kind of shopping areas. Even if they won’t sit down for a meal (which I’ve seen as well, I’m pretty sure some people from Beitar also travel to the Gush to eat out) I’ve seen people pop into the bakery or bagel shop for takeout (I think the guy who runs several food establishments in Efrat actually lives in Metzad).
Some shop at the local Rami Levi and others prefer the shops in Beitar or JLM. It’s not so completely far fetched. Metzad and Maale Amos are gaining popularity among mainstream chareidim because they offer cheaper housing, yes a lot of it of the box and BTs live there, but in recent years more mainstream chareidim have realized the potential of these places and the level of service there has increased.
You can find a lot of home based businesses like in other chareidi areas, some tourism (people rent out their homes during being hazmanim).

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 5:27 am
Disclaimer, I skipped to the end of the thread.

B'H there are more yiddden moving to Israel! You are all welcome here, no matter your stripes or spots. Very Happy

Every area here has it's own flavor. That is nothing new. Bnai Brak is not Tel Aviv. Be'er Sheva is not Nahariya.

Beit Shemesh used to be the landing spot of choice for Anglos, but now there is hardly any housing in any kind of affordable range. It's also not all "American". Sure, there are Anglos from the US, but there are a huge amount of South Africans, Australians, Brits, and Canadians.

A new flavor of community is not a bad thing. If you're looking for a place where NY/NJ specific people will feel at home while they adjust, this could be a great situation for everyone.

(I hope they will have proper Ulpanim for children. DD's biggest obstacle was that no one ever taught her Ivrit. The teachers just stuck her in the back row, and said "She'll pick it up eventually." She didn't. At first she was happy to just draw all day, but then one day she came to me and said "Mama, I am so BORED! I'm not learning anything, and the teachers don't care." She also didn't make any friends unless they spoke at least some English.)

WhatFor

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 6:47 am
benny wrote:
Ok and? Why are we assuming that because there are ppl in Lakewood who are extra stringent, that this idea is laughable for the whole Lakewood?

When someone says they're targeting Lakewood yeshivish, the implication is BMG yeshivish. I really don't understand the defensiveness and outrage in these responses to posters plainly stating what is the general BMG mehalech. I think this whole side-convo stems from some confusion and vagueness in the op as well as in the flyer, frankly.

I believe someone upthread said this wasn't supported by BMG? If so, why not just advertise it for American yeshivish? If you take away the BMG community, what makes the rest of Lakewood yeshivish different from other US yeshivish communities?

Anyway, I'm not here to argue with anyone, I don't even understand why this is an argument. My only reason for posting was really to express that I hope the people targeted fully understand what it means because historically this community hasn't been super immersed in this stuff. That's all. If the tides are changing, that's great and I wish them all success.

Reality

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 7:33 am
WhatFor wrote:
When someone says they're targeting Lakewood yeshivish, the implication is BMG yeshivish. I really don't understand the defensiveness and outrage in these responses to posters plainly stating what is the general BMG mehalech. I think this whole side-convo stems from some confusion and vagueness in the op as well as in the flyer, frankly.

I believe someone upthread said this wasn't supported by BMG? If so, why not just advertise it for American yeshivish? If you take away the BMG community, what makes the rest of Lakewood yeshivish different from other US yeshivish communities?

Anyway, I'm not here to argue with anyone, I don't even understand why this is an argument. My only reason for posting was really to express that I hope the people targeted fully understand what it means because historically this community hasn't been super immersed in this stuff. That's all. If the tides are changing, that's great and I wish them all success.

Lakewood is the new Brooklyn. That's the reason why a flyer would say Lakewood on it. That is where a large percentage of young couples are living. Many have only a tenuous tie to BMG. Pretty much the entire Flatbush young community has picked up and moved out. The more to the right crowd to Lakewood and the more to the left crowd to the five towns. Obviously these are generalizations but that's the back story in one sentence. These kind of initiatives are attractive to newlyweds and young families. So of course it is being advertised to the Lakewood crowd. That is where the young families are.

My earlier point was that even the most yeshivish of yeshivish families in Lakewood have their own culture than Israeli chareidim. And certain things that are completely taboo in Israeli chareidi life are done occasionally in the yeshivish world. So don't assume that because the most chareidi families won't shop in a DL community that a yeshivish family would make the exact same choice. It's just not true.

I don't know if this will succeed. Making aliyah has not been an important value in yeshivish culture. Like I said in an earlier post the times are a-changing. People are nervous. Maybe some young families will take a chance. We will find out.

just wondering

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 9:34 am
champion wrote:
He will part of the vetting process.
The kind of people that will respond to such a flier are a very certain type to begin with and Rav Charlap will look into each family.

Stating facts here!!!!

Did you reach out to him?????

or you are just stating facts on assumption ???

champion

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 9:58 am
just wondering wrote:
Stating facts here!!!!

Did you reach out to him?????

or you are just stating facts on assumption ???

I heard this from somebody who is involved in the project.
Page 8 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 Recent Topics