Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Los Angeles posters, is this story true?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 6:18 pm
There's a story circling that there was an immodest billboard in L.A. A frum guy offered to lease it for $1000. He had $90,000 in savings and he leased it for 90 days. He posted a count down from day and down on the billboard without any plans of what to do at day 1. By day 3, coca cola offered him $3 Million for the billboard.
Can anyone confirm if this story true? I haven't seen it on any news sites, but it's circling around.

amother
Eggshell

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 6:22 pm
I heard it also, my husband told me he also did and thinks it's made up. He looked it up and there was no news on it. The guy telling the story definitely made it sound like it made the news but it's no where.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 6:30 pm
There was an immodest billboard? Only one? In LA?

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 6:31 pm
amother [ Whitesmoke ] wrote:
There was an immodest billboard? Only one? In LA?

Lol exactly. Whoever made up this story has obviously never been to LA

amother
Eggshell

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 6:34 pm
The story was that it was across from a yeshiva where boys saw it every day.Not that it was one immodest billboard in the whole L.A.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 6:36 pm
amother [ Eggshell ] wrote:
The story was that it was across from a yeshiva where boys saw it every day.Not that it was one immodest billboard in the whole L.A.

I wasn't serious...

I also heard the story in connection to a yeshivah.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 6:41 pm

Do you know if the story is true or not?

amother
Stonewash

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 7:26 pm
LA local here. On lots of local whatsapp groups, shul emails etc. There is nothing reported here about any of this. Never heard this story so if it happened, was probably a long time ago.
People assume it could happen here as "everyone in LA is rich" but that is far from the truth.

amother
Stonewash

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 7:32 pm

So there is only one billboard near 1 of the many yeshivos here? People think we have 1 school. Or one school for boys. So not true. Not even for high school- we have quite a few... (1 elementary school here has like 1400 kids between boys and girls divisions. Probably more now. ONE school. People who tell stories about LA that didnt happen make it sound like we have 1 day school, 1 boys high school, 3 shuls... yeah right. Not in the last 50 years. New schools open every year or two it seems.)

Years ago (15?) a group of people started a campaign about a specific ad campaign and got it taken down. Yep, long time local here.
But yeah, odds are this didnt happen...

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 7:51 pm
No

liveandlove.ima

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 7:54 pm
The guy telling the story definitely made it sound like it made the news but it's no where.

not commenting if it's true or not, just think its fair to mention that Rabbi Duvi Bensoussan "the guy telling the story" clearly stated he is still working on the mekor...

clowny

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 7:54 pm
I must admit- it’s a creative story lol.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 7:58 pm
It’s sad. There are so many truly inspiring people and stories. I don’t know why people have to make things up. Not healthy for us, especially not healthy for our kids. They hear all these amazing happy endings. Then when they experience disappointment or someone close to them goes through loss or illness they don’t know why the happy ending didn’t happen to them. They need to learn about emunah and bitachon from real people not from fairy tales.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 9:49 pm
I got this story via text. With this picture. I know it doesn't mean anything and it could be Photoshopped. I'm also really curious if it's true.

Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: Very intresting story happened in Los angeles about 3 months ago. One of the Yeshivas there, had across the building a huge billboard. There was always ads but a few months ago someone put up a very not tzniosdiga ad, and there was nothing to do about it. A few days later a yid passed thru and saw the picture and thought to himself that it doesnt make sense that bucherim who learn a whole day should see this pic right when they come out... So he called up the company and asked if he could rent the builten board. They answerd that its booked already. He started to beg them that he wants it and he is ready to pay any price they want, so they told him that for 1,000 dollars a day he could have it. The yid made his cheshbon that he has 90,000 dollars in savings, he told the company that he wants the board for 90 days, the next day the company calls him that they
took off the other ad, and he could put on his ad. But the yid didnt have a ad to put. He tried to think maybe put this or that but he couldnt decide what to put on the builten board. The company told him that he should decide fast what he wants to put because he only has 90 days and its only going down and u will not get refunded. So the person said you know what? I want to put a count down of how many days I have left. A count down of how many days he still has left to make a kiddush Hashem. So they started to write 90 days left then 89 days left 88 87... The ppl in the area started to become curios what the count down is for and couldn't figure it out. Meanwhile the count down is going on 80 79 78 77... One day he gets a phone call from a local news paper that they wanna interveiw him and they wanna know whats the ad for and whats coming, but he told them that he can't say because its a surprise. The ppl became even more curios what it is. And the count went down to 20 19 18.... 10 9 8..... till it was up to day number 4, and he gets a phone call from the coke cola company that they dont know what he wants to put on the builton board but they wana buy off the last day from him for 3 milion dollars. He sold it to them and they put on a ad of 2 coke bottles with fire works.
Story was now before Chanukah.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 9:51 pm
Oops. Picture didn't work. Trying again.

https://ibb.co/NWJJvyK

Not working. Here's the link. Anything knows how to attach it?

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 9:59 pm
amother [ Stonewash ] wrote:
LA local here. On lots of local whatsapp groups, shul emails etc. There is nothing reported here about any of this. Never heard this story so if it happened, was probably a long time ago.
People assume it could happen here as "everyone in LA is rich" but that is far from the truth.

I don't think 90k in savings is rich. More like someone is responsibly putting away a few dollars in savings every month for the future.

synthy

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 10:17 pm
That picture was photoshopped by someone after a similar discussion to this one on ivelt (yiddish forums).... They couldn't verify it either. My favorite comment on that thread was "What's the nimshal?"
Really tho this rabbi would be better off saying details have been changed. IDK if its a true story or not but it makes me question the reliability of other inspirational sensational stories.

Amarante

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 10:36 pm
It’s not true and it is unbelievable on so many levels.

The most ridiculous aspect is Coke paying millions of dollars for a billboard. Not even the highest profile billboards cost that much and those would be digital on the Strip and no Yeshivas bext door on any portion of that street.

And why would Coke be motivated. For the most part billboards in Los Angeles are no more se?xy than a regular Coke ad.

No wonder conspiracy theories flourish if some story as patently ridiculous and unbelievable has people accepting its veracity since nothing about it makes any sense. 🤷‍♀️

amother
DarkViolet

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 10:37 pm
I live here. Not true. If only it was.

And also, Amarante, the billboards here are gross. I live in the city, and there are a ton of ads for "The Se-x Lives of College Girls" everywhere. I don't know why you think they're not gross. Have you ever driven anywhere? Compare these to the five towns, where the billboards are about cell phones, versus all the hollywood industry stuff we see here.

amother
Stonewash

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 11:09 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Oops. Picture didn't work. Trying again.

https://ibb.co/NWJJvyK

Not working. Here's the link. Anything knows how to attach it?

Um next to what yeshiva here is that building?!? Totally not realistic for what our city looks like.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational