Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Los Angeles posters, is this story true?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Whitewash

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 10:28 am
Telling made up inspirational stories to young impressionable kids/teens just backfires when they get more savvy and realize they were told things that were false or made up. Plus it shows a lack of respect for their audience, as it assumes a level of unsophistocation. Teachers/lecturers really should check for veracity or at least preface such a story with the acknowledgment that they can't vouch for its truth. (One of the very few inspirational story writers I will actually bother reading are those by Rabbi Yoel Gold (in Ami) because he makes a point of verifying the truth of his stories. )

That said, this isn't a new one. I'm quite sure it's been circulating for at least a few years as I recall reading it somewhere or other (probably online) a while ago. It did not seem very likely then and I'm sure if it were actually true, there would have been a way to track down the person involved.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 10:42 am
Why would someone make up such a story? For what purpose? It won't inspire people because everyone is questioning if it's true or not. The minute people find out it's not true, you can forget about any inspiration.

amother
Whitewash

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 11:12 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Why would someone make up such a story? For what purpose? It won't inspire people because everyone is questioning if it's true or not. The minute people find out it's not true, you can forget about any inspiration.

There are tons of "inspirational" Jewish stories circulating around that have been proven to be false. Rabbi Berel Wein has addressed this in his books/lectures. He's not a fan!
I vaguely remember a magazine writing a cover story about some of the most famous false ones. Maybe Ami?

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 4:21 pm
icedcoffee wrote:
Alas, you can easily find what photo this was photoshopped from.

Ok.
the street sign says Hollywood blvd.
There are NO yeshivos/schools on Hollywood Blvd!!!!!!
It's not in any of the frum areas either.

pesach

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 5:51 pm
It’s definitely a feel good story… Wink

amother
Stonewash

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 6:41 pm
liveandlove.ima wrote:
oh of course there is, but find me one yeshiva in those places Can't Believe It

Instead -how many yeshiva kids, kollel families, little kids etc all take the subways daily?!?
Neither is good. Honestly when driving it is easier to not see billboards than subways when you have nothing else to look at...

amother
Eggshell

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 8:05 pm
Theres an update from the one who told the original story going around on whatsapp, he says the story was verified and the only things wrong with the original story is that it didnt happen in Los Angeles, it happend in Toronto. There was the countdown and the day it was going to be down to zero, there was an ad for Coke zero. It was verified with the menahel of the yeshiva it was near.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 8:40 pm
amother [ Eggshell ] wrote:
Theres an update from the one who told the original story going around on whatsapp, he says the story was verified and the only things wrong with the original story is that it didnt happen in Los Angeles, it happend in Toronto. There was the countdown and the day it was going to be down to zero, there was an ad for Coke zero. It was verified with the menahel of the yeshiva it was near.

thanks! I was so disapointed when I read this thread.

amother
Whitewash

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 8:44 pm
Name of school?
Name of menahel?
Otherwise a story circulating about another story being verified is not anymore believable than the 1st version lol

amother
Lightcyan

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 8:47 pm
Nope I Live in Toronto.
I dont think there were any coca cola billboards recently!

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 9:42 pm
Remember? Photoshop pictures says Hollywood boulevard...

amother
Bergamot

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 8:28 am

I know I'm way late to this, but the average price for a billboard in Toronto is 5000 dollars a month.
A 30 second Super Bowl ad costs about 3 million. Why would Coke spend that kind of money on a random billboard in Toronto?

amother
Carnation

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 8:43 am

And I heard a different update. That it did happen in LA, but there was no countdown, and no coca cola ad, just that some rich guy paid for a billboard for 3 months and left it empty.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 8:18 pm
This story was just published in the Circle magazine as a comic.

dena613

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 8:34 pm
amother [ Amaranthus ] wrote:
This story was just published in the Circle magazine as a comic.

Uch.and I love the circle

dena613

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 8:34 pm
amother [ Carnation ] wrote:
And I heard a different update. That it did happen in LA, but there was no countdown, and no coca cola ad, just that some rich guy paid for a billboard for 3 months and left it empty.

This is a LOT MORE believable.

GLUE

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 8:50 pm
amother [ Whitewash ] wrote:
There are tons of "inspirational" Jewish stories circulating around that have been proven to be false. Rabbi Berel Wein has addressed this in his books/lectures. He's not a fan!
I vaguely remember a magazine writing a cover story about some of the most famous false ones. Maybe Ami?

Once the Ami ran a bunch of articles about the Statmer Rebbe, on one of the articles it said:
The Satmer Rebbe went into a printing house and there was a book of very nice stories about a chassidesh Rebbe. The Statmer Rebbe wanted to know who this Rebbe was. The printer said to ask the author who was in the back room. The author answered, "I don't know I have not decided yet".

I don't know if this story is true, but it show sounds like it could have bean.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Wed, Jan 26 2022, 8:54 pm
GLUE wrote:
Once the Ami ran a bunch of articles about the Statmer Rebbe, on one of the articles it said:
The Satmer Rebbe went into a printing house and there was a book of very nice stories about a chassidesh Rebbe. The Statmer Rebbe wanted to know who this Rebbe was. The printer said to ask the author who was in the back room. The author answered, "I don't know I have not decided yet".

I don't know if this story is true, but it show sounds like it could have bean.

Its true that the story was told. Its not necessarily true that it happened.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational